Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2003, 12:32 PM   #11
Jim
Quintesson

Good points Rataxes. A few more:

Quote:
  • F/T has base THAC0 0
  • Swashie has base THAC0 3 (7 when using Whirlwind)
The thieves base THAC0 stops reducing at 10, so the swashbucklers base THAC0 will be 10 by level 40. (of course, he has the bonus +8 to hit, but then that's classed as (mainhand) THAC0, not base THAC0)
Quote:
..It's description says it has Speed Factor 0
Worth noting that just because a weapon has a SF of 0 doesn't mean it will grant an extra APR (there are many weapons in SoA and ToB that have SF 0 that don't have this luxury). It actually states in the description that it has "no speed factor", which may be different to having a SF of 0.

Ertai, I have to say that the Scarley Ninja-To is a poor choice for a swashbuckler as it messes up the attacks per round. Sure, it grants an extra APR for all intents and purposes, but just try and use Wirlwind (WW) with it equipped, it reveals some interesting results. If you just wield Scarlet in your mainhand, with no weapon in the offhand, you will get 1 (!?!) APR with WW enabled. If you have a standard scimitar/dagger/katana/shortsword etc in your mainhand, but Scarlet in the off hand, you will have 3 APR with WW enabled. If you combine the great powers of Belm with Scarlet, you will have 5 APR with WW enabled. As you can see, this is a problem since WW is a major High Level Ability (HLA) of swashbucklers. Swapping Scarlet for another weapon every time you want to enable WW is too much of a pain IMO. Best sticking to the excellent combination of Kudane and Belm for now .
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 12:57 PM   #12
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim:
Good points Rataxes. A few more:

The thieves base THAC0 stops reducing at 10, so the swashbucklers base THAC0 will be 10 by level 40. (of course, he has the bonus +8 to hit, but then that's classed as (mainhand) THAC0, not base THAC0)
Thanks. Didn't know it actually went down to 10. It's been a while since I soloed my own Swashie and I couldn't find any THAC0 tables on the net that went further than level 20 Anyway, I did include the THAC0 bonus, since it's a permanent, non-removable and innate bonus, it's as close to base THAC0 one can get The comparison would not be fair if I chose not to include this bonus.

Quote:
Ertai, I have to say that the Scarley Ninja-To is a poor choice for a swashbuckler as it messes up the attacks per round. Sure, it grants an extra APR for all intents and purposes, but just try and use Wirlwind (WW) with it equipped, it reveals some interesting results. If you just wield Scarlet in your mainhand, with no weapon in the offhand, you will get 1 (!?!) APR with WW enabled. If you have a standard scimitar/dagger/katana/shortsword etc in your mainhand, but Scarlet in the off hand, you will have 3 APR with WW enabled. If you combine the great powers of Belm with Scarlet, you will have 5 APR with WW enabled. As you can see, this is a problem since WW is a major High Level Ability (HLA) of swashbucklers. Swapping Scarlet for another weapon every time you want to enable WW is too much of a pain IMO. Best sticking to the excellent combination of Kudane and Belm for now
Good point, forgot about that bug. What makes it even more useless is that you cannot even use it until Whirlwind is available to you [img]smile.gif[/img] Are you sure that this bug only applies to the Ninja-to though? My Swashie experienced the same problem with Belm in the off-hand when using Whirlwind, only got up to 3 APR with it equipped. So I threw it away in favour of the (modified) Sanchuudoku and Purifier Quite amazing that it was possible to attain the lowest possible AC while dual-wielding. Still, both Kundane and Belm are great weapons until you get Whirlwind.

[ 03-28-2003, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: Rataxes ]
Old 03-28-2003, 01:16 PM   #13
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

Hmm didnt know about that bug... my previous swashie (in a custom party of 4 members) was dual wielding CF and belm, i didnt check if i got 10 APR with WW tho. Anyway i switched to yamato soon [img]smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, this thread was to decide which of the 2 i was gonna play... and i think ive decided none of them Its gonna be an evil party, i might try a blade (ive never used bards) or something... dunno, bg2 characters are getting boring, nothing excites me enough.