Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 07-29-2004, 03:13 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I found a nest of "baby" bees, and they are swarming pretty heavily when you disturb the area. It is a hole in the ground where they reside, under a patch of leaves, near some bushes.

Question is, do I really have to wait until dark like people say in order to catch them all at home? If I just destroy the nest and whatever amount of bees reside there, will that not take care of all of them?
Old 07-29-2004, 03:15 PM   #2
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I've always heard it's best to do it at night, Larry! We just had one like that to do away with right up against the back of the house, in a garden patch. Jim did it at dusk and we THINK we got them all, haven't seen many around since my friend got stung a half dozen times last weekend and hubby sprayed the buggers!
Old 07-29-2004, 03:53 PM   #3
Aerich
Lord Ao

You pretty much have to do it at night. AFAIK, the spray isn't instantly effective, it takes a little time to kill them. Thus if you can get them when they're inactive, you have a better chance of poisoning them fatally. Also, the more of them you kill, the less there are around to sting you. As another consideration, it is easier to approach the nest without being stung if you do it in the dark.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:16 PM   #4
Arvon
Unicorn

Hey No Problem!!! That's what you've got a wife for...

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 07-29-2004, 04:33 PM   #5
quietman1920

May I please add this: Plan your exit route and walk it in a non threatening manner At Least Once prior to the nest bombing run. The last thing you want is to find as you are running 3 steps ahead of a large angry swarm of bees is that your wife has locked the screen door because she'd heard there have been a few robberies in the neighborhood as of late.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:56 PM   #6
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Valid points, all of them...but it is fixing to rain, and I already feel a mist in the air, so is this a problem?

I have the nest 1/2 uncovered.
Is that enough to slam them?
Old 07-29-2004, 05:04 PM   #7
Albromor
Mephistopheles

1. Do it at night, not dusk.

2. Find the entrance hole.

3. Get gasoline and a funnel.

4. Quickly put funnel in hole and pour gasoline. It kills them dead.

* I speak from experience.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:13 PM   #8
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Hey guys...this is what I did, and I think it went well.

1. Bought raid fogger that you are supposed to sit in a room and walk away from as its contents fog the room.
2. Sat said can near hive in ground.
3. Sat bucket over hive and can.
4. Sat five gallon jug of water on top of the bucket so it would not tip over in the wind.

5. Smuiled as the fog did its work.

Tomorrow I will cautiously remove the bucket and see if anything survived. I will have a can of spray-death in hand.

I know what you are saying..those foggers are supposed to kill cockroaches, not bees. Well, I found out that raid Fogger actually does list bees on the label, and this can had double the death/can than Hot Shot did.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:33 AM   #9
Seraph
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Albromor:

This works well, but I usually light the thing on fire as step #5 just to be sure.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:05 AM   #10
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph:
quote:
Originally posted by Albromor:

This works well, but I usually light the thing on fire as step #5 just to be sure. [/QUOTE]Yeah the hubby does the same with a blow torch usually. He's only been stung about 25 times or so doing it that way, 4 nests. Stupid but a darling.