Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-05-2005, 06:57 AM   #21
Blunderbuss
Zhentarim Guard

I forgot to mention, though it's not particularly revolting, that when you keep throwing up in hospital, they put a tube up your nose and down into your stomach, while you're still fully awake. And because I couldn't stop throwing up, they put this massive tube up my nose. I mean really big. When they're pushing it down your throat, you cough and splutter and generally wonder what you could have possibly done in order to deserve this. Once it is in, however, it is normally no problem until they come to take it out. This particular tube, after almost choking me (not a good thing to happen when every movement presents the risk of making you throw up), then had to be stuck to the top of my nose so I could still breathe. Unfortuantely, the top of my nose couldn't naturally fit the tube in, and so it caused me pain for the whole week it was in.

I don't know if any of you have had one of these tubes in before, but for the first day after it is put in, it is very uncomfortable. After that, you don't really notice it unless you try to talk. In fact, talking is made quite painful, and so I began to just write anything down that I needed to say. When it was eventually came out, it also dragged out the largest amount of snot I've ever seen. Not pleasant.

Well, as I'm in hospital story-telling mode: the first time, out of two, I was in , I had to go without drink or water for about three weeks (water was given to me through a drip). Anyway, if you don't drink for this long, you'll find your tongue goes quite crusty and furry making it almost impossible to bend. Not nice. Also, as I'd been lying in bed for about a month and a half. I couldn't walk and so I had to be given walking lessons every day.

Luckily, this happend at the end of the school year and so I didn't miss anything important, though I did miss most of my summer.

Anyway, that's enough rambling from me...

[ 01-05-2005, 06:59 AM: Message edited by: Blunderbuss ]
Old 01-05-2005, 07:58 AM   #22
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Blunderbuss:
No, I haven't got any disease. I had appendicitus. (I'm 15 so it's quite common at around this age) After recovering from the operation for that, (4 weeks in hospital) I was fine for a while until the blockage happend. An appendictus operation always leaves a chance for a blockage in the future. And my appendicitus was really bad (hence the long time in hospital), so bad in fact that technically I should have been dead. But lets not dwell on that. Back on topic: because they had to mess with the intestine during the appendicitus operation, there was the chance of an adhesion, where upon the walls of the intestine get stuck together. A couple of months later this happend and so caused the blockage. This, in turn, led to my second ever operation in the space of a few months. It was awful: the worst year of my life but at least I have a hefty scar to show off. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Well when I had my appendicitus at the age of 12 (I think) I was playing football when it all started and then I just started being sick. I think nearly 40 times that day. So the next day I had to go into hospital and did tests etc. and confirmed it was an appendicitus (it was quite funny, the first doctor saying it wasn't classic signs of an appendicitus ((he could barely speak English and I didn't have a clue what he was asking me, so I just kept nodding)) and then the second Scottish doctor saying it was classic signs of an appendicitus, right infront of the first doctor)

Luckily for me I had no after effects even though I got a knock in the stomach only about a week and a half after the operation.

So how long were you in hostpital for?
Old 01-05-2005, 08:07 AM   #23
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
Don't really have anything gross... Hmm. Had an ingrown toenail on my big toe, and the side of it was turning purple. When my Wife said it'll cost $400 for a Doctor to pull it out, I said.. well, I Said something, and decided to cut it out myself. It's actually really easy if you can stand the pain--which I can now, and took my swiss army knife's sissors and cut down in half in to the quik of the nail, and yanked out the smaller half with the ingrown part. INSTANT relief. Not a big deal though, throwing up is NO fun. I always feel like I can't catch a breath after I do it--which is rare indeed!
I once did nearly the same thing. My ingrown toe-nail was going brown, and starting to peel of from the bottom upwards, so in the end I just yanked it off. It was a bit sore, because I only had 1/2 to 3/4 of a toe-nail for a bit, but it grew back.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:10 AM   #24
Blunderbuss
Zhentarim Guard

I was in hospital for about four weeks. But my appendicitus was really bad
Old 01-05-2005, 08:20 AM   #25
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Well back in the days of playing hide and seek etc. (when I was 10 I think) I was at a mates house and we were playing. It was a nice night, and about 10pm. I was "it" and it was hide and seek tig, so I was running after one of the others when I slipped on their newly tarred road, there just had to be a big stone there. It went right up through my knee about 11cm. I looked down and nearly fainted, because it was totally gushing with blood. The worst thing was, being on my knee meant that if I moved it it was even worse. So I got carried inside and my mates mum is a nurse, she told me I'd need it stitched. My dad (a vet) came and picked me up at about 11, and I had a couple of towels to catch the bleeding (which got totally covered in blood and were actually red.)

Being a vet he offered to stitch it up himself, but I didn't fancy it much and so he took me to hostpital. By the time I got their and got seen it was 1am and it was still bleeding, at which point they said the couldn't operate because they were short staffed. Which meant a night in hospital. Got it all fixed up the next day and I have a nice scar to recall it all.

Oh, and when I went for to get my appendix out I wasn't allowed to eat for 3 days (no where near as bad as your 3 weeks blunderbuss) and my weight dropped to 3stone or thereabouts. (at the age of 12)

Well, I'm finished now
Old 01-05-2005, 08:46 AM   #26
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Oh my! Don't have anything anywhere near the stories already told here! Blunderbuss, I think you win the award for worst results of a surgery and hospital stay! [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] (LOL, just realized this smiley is called 'holy crap!' haha...how ..err. well appropriate!)

My worst is definitely lightweight compared to the rest of your posts! I do get a little green remembering how the dentist had to use a 'mosquito' instrument (kind of a corkscrew thing) to drill into my jawbone to break up a wisdom tooth. I was on 'laughing gas' but still could hear it grinding. Was weird to feel so diassociated from things but know that he was grinding up tooth and bone... [img]graemlins/confused5.gif[/img]

Still no contender, but there was the time when one of my cats was a wee little kitten and had a cold. She'd been projectile sneezing (yes, it's not common but they do and she had some whopping big kitty boogers! LOL) and after she produced a rather large specimen, she walked over and ate it! [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img] Must say that had me gagging for a few minutes.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:40 AM   #27
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Projectile sneezing? Egads, Cloudy... now I trust cats even less [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'm starting to think this thread needs some kind of warning label on it... do not read while eating (or wanting to)...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:46 AM   #28
Blunderbuss
Zhentarim Guard

Your wish is my command.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:48 AM   #29
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

awww man Too late Blunderbuss [img]tongue.gif[/img]
I gots spagetti on me now [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-05-2005, 10:03 AM   #30
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
Projectile sneezing? Egads, Cloudy... now I trust cats even less [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'm starting to think this thread needs some kind of warning label on it... do not read while eating (or wanting to)...
She was such a tiny, dainty little kitten, too! Thankfully, her upper respiratory infection didn't last too long. I could also add the story of the time I warned my housemate that the kitten was projectile sneezing and the roomie laughed at the idea. Right after that she walked into my study as the cat was sitting up on a storage chest, sneezing, and didn't duck....she got a huge deposit right in the middle of her tee shirt. The look on her face was priceless and I must sheepishly admit that instead of rushing to her aid with a tissue, I sat and laughed til my sides hurt. [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img]

[ 01-05-2005, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]