Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-05-2001, 03:26 PM   #31
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Reeka:
Ohio? I think of big cities. I guess the reason people in Alabama are sensitive about the racism thing is because it seems like whenever there is anything on the national news about racisim they dredge up the news clips of the water hoses and dogs. Makes you feel embarrassed even though you had nothing to do with it. Yeah, racism, ageism, ethnicisim, sexism, (you name the particular ism) is very sad.

Please don't think this is a crack on age, but I guess I'm just too young to think that. Most of that happened before I was born. All I'm saying is with time, (oh, to hell with it. Anyone got a shovel?) But you know what I'm trying to say? Doesn't have that same stigmatism with me/my generation. /

BK

[This message has been edited by Black Knight (edited 03-05-2001).]
Old 03-05-2001, 03:35 PM   #32
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Well ummm actually nobody can understand his talking at times
Old 03-05-2001, 03:41 PM   #33
Reeka

No problem about the age thing. What I meant was for everybody around at the time (and had nothing to do with it) or born since then (and had nothing to do with it) it seems like its a reputation hard to live down. You're right, younger people don't think about it as much.

------------------
Reeka--The Hand of Death
Old 03-05-2001, 03:45 PM   #34
Black Knight

Whew! Thanks, Reeka.

BK
Old 03-05-2001, 09:46 PM   #35
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Reeka:
Well, BK, since you asked. The stereotype goes that we all live on farms, are ignorant, uneducated, drive pickup trucks (not that there's anything wrong with pickup truck), and the worse--that we're all racists.

Every state in the U.S. has similar stereotypes Reeka. I would hope most of us are beyond taking them seriously. For instance, Minnesotans have the rep of driving pickup trucks, living on farms, and being uneducated ignorant descendants of norwegians & swedes. Have you ever heard any Ole & Lena jokes? Or are they only told here-abouts?
Yah. Sure. You betcha.

------------------

Having abandoned my search for truth, I am now looking for a good Fantasy.
Old 03-05-2001, 10:37 PM   #36
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

What I'm supposed to drive a truck and talk like a retarded swede? Crap that is why I don't fit into MN

DISCLAIMER>>No offense was intended to retarded swedes, just trying to make a point

------------------
Old 03-05-2001, 10:45 PM   #37
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Well, here I am Reeka, late but not from lack of interest! Just too many places to be here! Overwhelming, really. Alabama is ok by me. Hey, I'm from upstate NY and I say UPSTATE because everyone automatically thinks of NYC when you say New York. Different animal altogether up here.

Anyway, HI!

Cloudy

------------------
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Old 03-05-2001, 11:23 PM   #38
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Hey Reeka,

I live just up the road in Knoxville, TN. Go through Birmingham every year on my annual pilgramage to the "Redneck Riviera" (Panama City to you un-initiated).
Birmingham has a beautiful skyline!

I know what you mean about peoples attitudes towards where others are from. Everyone thinks of Tennessee and "Hillbilly" immediately pops to mind and "Straight forks", etc... I sure you have heard it all too. But I don't think anyone here is like that. They are much too smart for that. Not that it really matters. I don't really care what others think. I am proud of where I'm from. A lot of good things have come out of Tennessee, just like Alabama. Tennessee and Alabama for sure have some of the best college football to be had anywhere! One of those great all time rivilarys!

------------------
Sir Taliesin

Ten Rings there are, and nine gold torcs on the battlechiefs of old...
Old 03-06-2001, 12:55 AM   #39
JJ/newbie

stereotypes can be fun- when i was in basic training in ft. jackson sc in 82, I had one guy believing that the reason i joined the army is because they had just finished the railroad all across montana and i had lost my job riding shotgun on the stagecoach- you should have seen the look on his face when i told him that my parents were excited about getting "indoor plumbing"

------------------
When given a choice, take both.

Old 03-06-2001, 05:12 AM   #40
Griever
Manshoon

If i said anything... sorry! didin't mean to! and that i am sure...

you guys all live from the usa.. well, almost! i wanna go there! mind if i go there sometime, and im near your palce, can you guys offer me some shelter?

------------------

Tifa has her Cloud, Squall his Rinoa, Sephiroth?? hehe