Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2001, 07:44 AM   #11
Pangur Ban

Quote:
Originally posted by Argus:
I even remember the old Deities and Demigods which had the Ctulhu (sp?) mythos in it before it got axed in the reprint. Let me know if you guys need another old-school 1st edition player...I'm in.
I still have my copy of that version of Dieties and Demigods ...

I also have:
-- The first 50 or so adventure modules released
-- All the 1st edition hardcovers
-- Most of the original Grenadier 25mm miniatures, all hand painted
-- The first 4 "Dragon" magazines

I agree that 1st edition was the best of them all. For 10 years, D&D nigh on ruled my life.

I co-founded a games club that grew to become the largest independent club in the state ( The Wizards' Council ruled !! ), wrote and published my own adventure, and DM'd a game that lasted for over 7 years.

Sadly, I haven't played D&D now for about 10 years. I gave up when the 2nd edition rules started getting too silly, complex, and "politically correct". I no longer see any of the people I used to game with. All my D&D stuff still is displayed with pride in its bookcase, however !!

From what I have seen of 3rd edition, it doesn't seem to have the atmosphere that D&D used to. When we played way back then, you had the feeling that you were breaking new ground, doing something really special. Now D&D seems to be more influenced by Quake, Half-Life, and and other shoot-em-ups, just another grab for "powerups" and unlikey high level skills and spells. I sometimes feel something is not quite right when my BG2 fighter hits and causes over 40 damage with one strike - that sort of damage from 1 hit was unheard of in a proper 1st edition game !!

Maybe I'm just feeling bittersweet nostalgia. I've even tried to get my wife to play D&D, but she just doesn't seem to get the point of it all. Its nice to see people who can rejoice in being proper(?) D&D players.

I like the idea idea of a guild for us types. I do think the guild needs a name that commands awe and respect - not "old farts". We deserve better than that !!

Pangrrr Ban

------------------
-------------------------------------------

( Insert picture of hissing cat with arched back and bristling tail here .... )

"Sad is the society where people may walk their dogs in public without wearing a helmet and protective kneepads ...."

[This message has been edited by Pangur Ban (edited 10-19-2001).]
Old 10-19-2001, 07:52 AM   #12
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

I have played all the editions of D&D. I game regularly with a fellow who wrote freelance for TSR before they became WotC and Hasbro bought them out. I actually prefer 3E. We were a group of the playtesters and although at first had our reservations I can tell you now I enjoyit much more that either 1st or 2nd Edition. You haven't fought a dragon till you fight one in 3E. Talk about a bad ass.

------------------

The line between good and evil is razor sharp. Be careful of misteps,
lest you find yourself spitted upon your own blade.
Old 10-19-2001, 08:02 AM   #13
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

No Basic or Runequest players out there??

I Have played all the different versions of D&D but I´m one of thoose that like the 3:rd ed best..

THough I actually played mostly basic based games like runequest and such games.. Your HP didn´t go up just because you beat some monsters. You could hit, but then you had to penetrate the armour as well. That was fighting I can tell you!! Fints and blocking, duelling. Man, you could get so many real cool fights..

------------------

Howling to the moon, cause this world seems so far away..
Wolfgirs lair
once-upon-a-paper
Old 10-19-2001, 08:18 AM   #14
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Yes, I've played 1st ed AD&D all the way back in 1981 and 1982, back with the classic books (DM's manual with the huge red demon on it, and the Player's Handbook with the demon statue with the huge burning brazier). We used to make up our own worlds...no Faerun, no Forgotten Realms, etc.
*whispers* Saz - I STILL have that book (and my original dice)

I've played for...(OMG, I have to do the math now)...21 years! *gasp* Darn! That's a long time! Never done the math before. Sheesh! LOL, well I will continue to play this til I perish. But, I, too would be interested in such a gathering. I still have (and use sometimes) my original male Warrior character, plus a female Elven character (can't remember what class at the moment) and a few others.
Old 10-19-2001, 08:21 AM   #15
Pangur Ban

Quote:
Originally posted by WOLFGIR:
No Basic or Runequest players out there??

Greetings, noble lupine !!

Played Basic sometimes, but never could get a feel for Runequest - took all your time just to do one decent battle.

While we are looking at classic RPG's, did anyone play any of these ??

Dragonquest
Star Frontiers
Gamma World
Lankhmar
Metamorphosis Alpha
Rolemaster
Swords and Sorcery ( Original SPI )
Call of Cthulhu
Traveller
Tunnels and Trolls
Bunnies and Burrows
Boot Hill

( those were the days ... )

Pangrrr Ban

------------------

( Insert picture of hissing cat with arched back and bristling tail here .... )

"Sad is the society where people may walk their dogs in public without wearing a helmet and protective kneepads ...."
Old 10-19-2001, 08:22 AM   #16
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

Anyone here ever play the Amber: Diceless Roleplaying Game? That game requires actual thought about your combat tactics with each blow. Great Game too by the way.

------------------

The line between good and evil is razor sharp. Be careful of misteps,
lest you find yourself spitted upon your own blade.
Old 10-19-2001, 08:30 AM   #17
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Yup! Played Amber alittle, but hard to get the books and get the feel for the world unfortunatley.

Also played Call of Chatulu and Rulemaster.

Shadowrun, alittle GURPS to. Traveller of course, Twilight 2000.. Cult..

Melnibone, that Elric based game..

------------------

Howling to the moon, cause this world seems so far away..
Wolfgirs lair
once-upon-a-paper
Old 10-19-2001, 09:08 AM   #18
Desuma_Malevois

Quote:
Originally posted by Pangur Ban:
While we are looking at classic RPG's, did anyone play any of these ??

Dragonquest - yes
Star Frontiers - no, but I owned it
Gamma World - yes
Lankhmar - no
Metamorphosis Alpha - no, but I owned it
Rolemaster - no
Swords and Sorcery ( Original SPI ) - yes
Call of Cthulhu - yes
Traveller - yes
Tunnels and Trolls - yes, still play it
Bunnies and Burrows - no
Boot Hill - no, but I owned it

Y'all are newbies I've played D&D since 1977, and still have some issues of Dragon magazine that number in the single digits. I stopped playing once they came out with the 2nd edition rules, but I've just started back up again with 3rd edition. I play a lot of Champions now, and while I own the Amber DRPG rules I've never played it. I'd like to though.

An "Old Farts" clan sounds like fun - I've been determined to stay neutral in the whole clan thing, but that would be very tempting.

------------------
Guerilla gourmet, and former proprieter of the KFA.

Old 10-19-2001, 09:51 AM   #19
Elif Godson
Dracolich

I still play 1E on a weekly basis. Still have my first set of dice
and still have all the hardcover books. Ive tried 3E but
we didnt play long enough for me to get a feel for it.

------------------
The Ruby Rouge of the ALSB
Official Slayer of Pest's in Cloudy's Kitchen
Blessed is the Warlock
Advisor to the Lady Lioness for Kitchen raid's and such...
Old 10-19-2001, 10:45 AM   #20
Conan

Quote:
Originally posted by Bullvye:
I've been playing AD&D, both first and second edition, since around 1982!( I still believe first edition is the best!) I know I'm new here and dont have a really good idea of how the clans work on this board, but I'd love to either start, or belong to a clan of "old school" warriors, rangers, thieves and mages!

Anyone with me?....or is there anyone willing to direct me?
Bullvye, I grew up 25 minutes from Lake Geneva, WI. I started playing D&D in the 70's when TSR wasnt even formed yet. All we had was a bag full of dice,3 small books, graph paper, pencils and a huge imagination. When you rolled a 18 back then..MAN! Masters generally didnt let you roll over for your characters either. What you rolled is what you baseed your character on. If you didnt like your character you would ask to be put in the front 3 and not to be carried out to be raised. Some of the very lawful characters were forced to carry you out anyway. When we were "down in someones castle" the master would call it like this.....
10,20 30 feet there is a door on the right and the passage continues north..what do you want to do? and in the mean time you have your graph paper marking every little detail called by the master. Hehe. This is a very long time ago now..but I think that there were only 4 different classes you could be. Fighter,Magic user,Thief,and Cleric. Other classes were added as time progressed and D&D pushed forward into a huge thing. I still remember my character in my older brothers castle I retired at Lord of the 11th level One time I subdued 2 Black dragons single handed..burned almost to a crisp I still managed to get them back to town and sell them. Ahh. the legend continues my freind. Originals still battle on!

------------------
*\Conan/*

[This message has been edited by Conan (edited 10-19-2001).]