Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 07-06-2001, 10:47 AM   #1
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

I am going to start a new game of BGII and want to dual class....

My questions are
----------------
1)Can you dual class from kits or does it have to be pure class (i.e. archer to sorcerer, blade to cleric...)?
2) I will probably do some sort of fighter to mage or cleric, what are the minimums (stat wise) that I will need to do this and what level do people usually dual at?

Thanks

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
Old 07-06-2001, 10:59 AM   #2
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

it all depends on the class you want to dual to but I think the minimum for most classes to dual to is 17. Make sure your character has an 18 in the prime requisite for the second class and youll have no problems. Especially if your going to a mage or cleric. anything less than 18 is a waste of time to me if your going to a class that casts spells as a second class. You want the best spells you can get right????? make it an 18 and youll be fine.

Also, I think its best to dual from a fighter type class becaue they get the best hitpoints to start with. Not much sense (to me) to dual from a mage or cleric to a fighter. Fighter to mage or cleric is alot better since fighters have the higher HP.

------------------
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-06-2001, 08:35 PM   #3
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Moridin:
I am going to start a new game of BGII and want to dual class....

My questions are
----------------
1)Can you dual class from kits or does it have to be pure class (i.e. archer to sorcerer, blade to cleric...)?
2) I will probably do some sort of fighter to mage or cleric, what are the minimums (stat wise) that I will need to do this and what level do people usually dual at?

Thanks

1. You can dual class from a kit to a general class, but not the other way around (for example, you can change from a Kensai to a mage, but not from a mage to a Kensai). You could do mage to fighter, since they are both general classes. In other words, you can only have one kit, and that has to be on the first class you take, not the second.

2. You must have a 15+ in the prime requisite in your first class, and a 17+ in the prime requisite of the class you are switching to. Also, it must be a valid multiclass option (see page 235 of the Game Manual to see a full listing of all the combinations).

------------------

Death is only the beginning...
Old 07-07-2001, 09:14 AM   #4
TheDutkanator

If you ARE thinking of dualling a fighter to a mage, use the kensai kit and dual to the mage. Read the special abilities of the kensai and you'll see why. (biggest reason for me: kensai's can't wear armor, but get bonuses to AC. Mages can't wear armor anyway right? Take the AC bonuses!!)

------------------

Let's get'em guen!

Quote:
"I'm sorry, did I kill you?" -TheDutkanator
Old 07-07-2001, 09:45 AM   #5
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by TheDutkanator:
If you ARE thinking of dualling a fighter to a mage, use the kensai kit and dual to the mage. Read the special abilities of the kensai and you'll see why. (biggest reason for me: kensai's can't wear armor, but get bonuses to AC. Mages can't wear armor anyway right? Take the AC bonuses!!)

Also good is the swashbuckler/mage. If you dual-class at level 10, you get a +3 to AC (compared to +2 for the Kensai), you can use missile weapons (you can actually put 2 slots in the short bow or sling), you can put 3 slots in two weapon style like the Kensai can, and you have thief skills. Drawbacks: no backstab multiple (didn't get one for Kensai, anyway), combat bonuses not as high as Kensai, lower hit points, higher Thaco, and no advanced specialization. I think either Kensai/mage or Swashbuckler/mage is good, depending on what you need to round out your party. If you are playing a good-only party, swashbuckler/mage is a good choice (there are a ton of good-aligned warriors as NPCs, and only Nalia as your thief, at least until you get Imoen back).

------------------

Old 07-07-2001, 09:59 AM   #6
Lord Shield

Jan is a very effective thief too, especially with his items that boost his skills

This means you cannot dual a barbarian, sorceror or monk ~sulk~ otherwise i would have done a monk/sorceror

------------------
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is pimp.
http://lordraptor0.tripod.com/index.html

Old 07-07-2001, 10:47 AM   #7
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:
Jan is a very effective thief too, especially with his items that boost his skills

This means you cannot dual a barbarian, sorceror or monk ~sulk~ otherwise i would have done a monk/sorceror

Or how about a Kensai/monk?

Dual at 12th level (+4 to hit & damage, -3 speed factor, -2 AC), when you become 13th level monk, you become a juggernaut!

------------------