Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 05-01-2003, 02:35 PM   #1
Russ
Manshoon

Okay, very mild spoilers. But I'm a big believer in not ruining anything for new players.

In a party of... Priest of Helm, Valygar, Mazzie, Aerie, Jan, and that noble teenage chick whose name escapes me at the moment... Aerie with the belt of hill giant strength, plus some protective equipment, turns out to be close to, if not my best, melee character... and the Helm Priest has some totally twinked-out stats, from the highest rolls I've ever seen the machine generate... She's doing high double-digits every swipe with the poisoned flail from the sewers party, and almost as much with the sling -- PLUS she gets to be a back-rank character who can haul around five suits of plate and crap without being encumbered...

All in all, I am finding it to be a much better use of the item than giving it to one of the usual tanks, and as we are a finesse party, I'm actually thinking of letting one of the bruisers go when it's time to get Imoen back.

Kind of odd, but fun. Now if I can find the polite dialogue prompt to get her to stop flirting with the PC...
Old 05-01-2003, 02:45 PM   #2
Butterfingers
Drizzt Do'Urden

Aerie is quite possibly one of the most powerful characters in the game, and can be quite fierce in melee. When I want to clean up some mess that even my well built tanks might have problems with, I send in Aerie. Usually have her with Crom and the FoA, or some times with a shield.

She can be real bruiser who is capable of dishing out some real damage in both melee and magic. Using the right Clerical and Mage spells, one can turn that sweet innocent little Elf lady into a juggernaught of destruction.
Butterfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 02:46 PM   #3
Cannibal Monkey
The Magister

Although anybody can be a good tank if given the HG strength girdle and protective equipment, really...

btw, it's Nalia [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-01-2003, 02:49 PM   #4
Sir Exxon
Zartan

I haven't used Aerie as a tank before, and I don't think I will either. I'm sure she's powerful as one, but it would just be... wrong. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Although, I am considering to reconsider when I think about a hasted 19 str Aerie with Staff of the Magi...
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 02:56 PM   #5
jcompton
Elminster

There are more pleasant surprises from Aerie if you grab her flirt pack. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-01-2003, 03:04 PM   #6
Russ
Manshoon

Ugh. Sorry, I'm an old married fart. Jaheira was more my speed...

But yes, you combine the right spells with her, and she gets pretty gross, really quick. Like, say, HG, weapon of choice (whatever, only twinkies fixate on this), holy might, righteous magic, haste, stoneskin... it's rude. Just appallingly, amazingly rude... and unlike chugging potions, it can be done over, and over, and over...
Old 05-01-2003, 03:48 PM   #7
Russ
Manshoon

But the original reason that I did this was that with a mage-heavy party, the bad guys, when in numbers, are almost always trying to turn the flank on us. This allows us to travel in the extended-T formation, as well as the block, without every really having to worry about too many baddies getting to the backfield, particularly after the artillery and holy smite opening rounds.
Old 05-01-2003, 05:41 PM   #8
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by jcompton:
There are more pleasant surprises from Aerie if you grab her flirt pack. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Yeah, if you want to psychoanalyze romance her. Aren't there any normal romances in this game? Let's see, a recent widow, a whiny egomaniac, a traumatized little girl, and a sex fiend. I have yet to sample Kelsey's romance after this little incident, but is there such a thing as gentle courtship on the Sword Coast?
Old 05-01-2003, 07:19 PM   #9
jcompton
Elminster

Looks to me like you installed TOB atop your mods, which will kill them every time.
Old 05-01-2003, 07:52 PM   #10
Blue Paladin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Aerie?

i mean come on guys aerie is one of the least useful characters in the game!!!!!
my brother had a game with her in it and before they went into battle, he charged them up with the holy strength and all that crap and went in and guess who the first person to die was!!!!!?????
i think the only reason he raised her was because he himself liked her. what a loser!!!!!!!

in one of my games a while back, i had a game with aerie and started a romance that went further than most and if the game was totally real, there would be a party of atleast 12 including all of the kids!!!!!!!!!!!!

in my opinion aerie is only good for the romance.

viconia, now thats a different story.............