Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 11-26-2005, 09:13 PM   #11
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Cool, thanks for that, Gimli!

What are your druids stats?
Old 11-27-2005, 03:19 AM   #12
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Druid's stats (16th level):

ST 11 DX 19
CO 14 IN 10
WI 24 CH 3

BTW, saw your other post. A cool Monk (and a more tank-like one as well) is to start with 4 Fighter levels and then switch to Monk for good. Specialize in some 2-H weapon (I think polearm and staff are cool for a Monk). If you play a Human or Dwarf, there is no ECL, and for the normal game it's possible to hit 17th level where you would have Diamond Mind.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:45 PM   #13
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Only one fight left!! Did not realize I+M were about to be thrust upon me (did the battle on the top of the War Tower and thought I was supposed to go back to Riki), but I got intercepted on my way down the tower and end up being taken away for an "audience" with I+M. Was not really prepared for it but played around a little to get a feel for them and they seem tough!
Old 11-30-2005, 09:19 PM   #14
Magness
Quintesson

Gimli, it's actually possible to get buffed up for the tower top battle, whup the baddies there, and then just go straight to the I&M battle without any additional buffing, if you are able to get thru the tower battle cleanly.

I hope that you learned some good lessons on how to manage the final battle. It's a doozy the first time you play it.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 07:39 PM   #15
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

I'm sure we all have a huge amount of tips for this fight if you find yourself in need of help. I'll not spoil you unless you ask for it.

A general tip that won't ruin anything:

Identify what is hurting you and what is only a passive threat, then deal with them accordingly. There are many baddies in this fight, but by neutralizing key components of the enemy forces you can cripple them.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 07:33 PM   #16
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Well I did get sidetracked (I didn't restart but I did get sidetracked by playing some East Side Hockey Manager). But today I tried again and this time succeeded!! [img]smile.gif[/img]

I think by choosing to go to the left side of I+M, behind that wall, instead of to the right, where I went the last time, made a big difference - was much more defensible. It was basically a long, drawn out battle with alot of summoning from both sides, where I was slowly but surely wearing them down. I was surprised when I+M took off as I thought this would be the final battle. They were much easier to deal with the second time around.

Thanks for all the advice and posts in general here, it definitely helps!
Old 12-16-2005, 11:45 AM   #17
Magness
Quintesson

Congrats, Gimli!!!

My experience is that the best way to start the I&M battle (assuming that you are fully buffed) is to actually stay away from the twins at the start and run to the RIGHT. Yes, the right ... towards the twins' allies.

Why do I say this? Because one of those baddies is the Summoner. If you can kill his butt quickly, you will save yourself a LOT of trouble.

I would always send 2 of my warriors (usually my 2nd best tank and my rogue) to engage this summoning mage in melee and take him down hard and fast. I'd hold my very best tank to deal with the Demon knight in the main hall.

Also, I'd have my cleric and sorc start summoning monsters to engage the twins to keep them busy, while I'm whupping their allies. Directly attacking the twins at the start is a TOTAL waste of time. Their buffs are better than yours and they're pretty much invulnerable for perhaps 10-20 or 30 rounds. Until their buffs wear out, use summons and (if you were smart) your monk allies to keep the twins occupied, while you wipe out the twins' allies.

I found this to be a very tough battle the first few times I fought it, but it was very fun because you can try out a lot of different strategies.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:55 PM   #18
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Yep, if I play through again I will definitely do the last fight differently. The sister twin rushed me early, and for a long time, I had 3 tanks + summons on her, and more summons in the large center room, who were taking on the enemy mage's summons. All with the brother flinging spells around (mostly at my summons which was a good thing, he hung out in the upper RH corner of the throne room). The Druid came in big twice with the Heal spell when "sister's" sword infilcted some nasty conditions on my dwarf cleric. But I was able to scrap and keep everyone pretty much healed, and gradually wore them down - it was a pretty fun encounter. The game's final fight was a let down in comparison.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:49 PM   #19
Magness
Quintesson

I know what you mean, Gimli, about the 2nd half of the final battle. That said, the first half of the final battle doesn't really have to be that tough.

As I'm sure you discovered, the twins are nearly invulnerable for a pretty fair number of rounds at the start of the funal battle. They're every bit as buffed up as you should be.

This is why I never personally engage them during the first engagement. I focus entirely on thaking out their allies and any summons. And I let my monk allies (assuming that I've got them) keep the twins busy. And I'll summon monsters of my own to keep them busy. Hell, I've even healed a monk or 2 just to keep them going to kill time fighting the twins, rather than fight them myself.

However, once the twins' buffs wear out, it's time to hit them HARD and FAST. And be ready to do the same thing once they jump over to the other room, i.e. the 2nd half of the battle.