Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum > Wizards & Warriors Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2000, 03:16 AM   #1
BillyD

I know everyone loves Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, PLUS Torment, Plus IWD......but I just can't get into those isometric games, the characters and world view seems small...I LOVE RPGs, and I've tried all the BG's but I just can't get into it...there's something totally non-immersive about the isometric POV.....and I HATE that thing where the world is dark until you actually "explore" it...leave that crap in RTS games where it belongs.....but you have to get Black Ilse credit...they've milked that game emgine for much more than it's worth. I am looking forward to their next offerings when they try something new though.....

Might and Magic? Total crap...lousy graphics, poor (as in VERY poor) gameplay, it's about as immersive as a root canal. Some people like them, but I'm not sure how.....their titles are not just old style, they're ancient with NO new technology (why should I run that junk on a Geforce, yoou could run those graphics on an Atari)...in a word, Might and Magic is bloody awful! I've never played a M&M game for longer than 10 minutes...and they're still beating that tired old horse!

Now Wizards and Warriors.....seems to be just the right blend of classic RPG with some new touches. The combat system is good, leveling up is good....graphics are nice.....it's a fun game! A little easy so far, and in parts the puzzles are sort of bizzare (like using the bauble stick to get the crystal) but it's fun and rewarding.

I'm a graphics slut like so many of us......and this game may not be UT Tournament.....but it's a fun RPG.

Just my two bits

Old 10-13-2000, 05:27 AM   #2
BlackFiend

IMO W&W is a SP version of Asheron's Call.

BG2 has an unfolding (and very good) storyline that precedes character development, whereas W&W is the opposite.

It's like many people point out: graphics are not the be all and end all of a well written FRPG. In BG2 that is certainly the case. It's the best CFPRG I've ever played.

W&W however is very good once you look past the bugs and hoop-jumping interface.

Old 10-13-2000, 01:12 PM   #3
rygar

Have you tried wizardry (crusaders of the dark savant) I thought that was the best rpg i ever played. IMOP only

Old 10-13-2000, 02:26 PM   #4
Mindless

Crusaders of Dark Savant is one of the best RPG games ever made, W&W is slightly worse, but seriously - Baldur's Gate just sucks..I don't see what's all the hubub about this game...Fallout on the other hand was just great..Credit goes to Black Isle for bringing this almost dead genre back to life..Thanks..

Old 10-13-2000, 02:59 PM   #5
BillyD

I never did get to play Wizardry....I'm going into a "used" PC software store today to trade in some games, maybe they'll have it and I can give it a try. I sure did hate Might and Magic.....awful stuff.

It's funny that so many people like Baldur's Gate...it get's just incredible reviews, and then there's those of us who hate it....I don't mind the gameplay, but the POV and dark "exploration" screen bother me...I'm going to get BGII because I can't resist trying it out, but I know I lost interest in all the others pretty quick....

Might be a time issue too...RPG's take so much time...I guess I need some instant payoff to keep interested............

Old 10-13-2000, 09:54 PM   #6
subotai

I don't beleaive nobody liked the Might and Magic series.

Old 10-13-2000, 09:56 PM   #7
subotai

Nobody liked the Might and Magic series? Weird. I thought those games were great. I have to admit that I find W&W to be one of the best games I have ever played.

Old 10-13-2000, 09:59 PM   #8
warmonger3

I did like Mandate of Heaven, but sheesh, you'd think 3D0 could do so much better than what they have done thus far with Might&Magic. I have never played Baldur's gate, I hated Diablo. I am waiting for Neverwinter Nights, and *cough* Wizardry 8. W&W is the most immersive game I have played, also the most frustrating when you kill the wrong thing. I am reverting my game. hehe

Old 10-13-2000, 10:13 PM   #9
BillyD

I know a lot of people liked M&M, but I thought they were awful...besides wasting all the new technology on my computer by providing graphics that the PC I had 10 years ago could handle...they just weren't fun to play.....for me anyway.

I'm trying Baldur's Gate II now, so far it's pretty good...let's see if it can keep my interest....

I thought Diablo was a simplistic arcade type POS......Warriars and Armor don't make an RPG......to me there's no RP in Diablo, it's just cartoon killing......there's no story at all..............which, if it works for you, go for it. I want story, and that's what makes an RPG..............

Old 10-14-2000, 01:55 AM   #10
BlackFiend

I can understand someone not liking the Infinity engine (ie: isomorphic games). But saying BG2 sucks as FRPG is just ridiculous. And BTW, BG2 is *much* better than BG ever was.