Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2009, 11:05 PM   #1
Spirits Reborn
Anubis

Default Windows vista?

So, the windows 7 thread got me thinking about vista.

So question to ya'll who use it, what do you think about it overall? If you do imaging work of any kind, how efficient is it? IN terms of gaming, how big is the gap between dx9 and 10? I have a license for both XP and Vista home Premium, so I've got the choice of using both, and am thinking of installing Vista onto a partition and dual booting, but as you know thats a pretty big pain in the rear.

And please- if you're going to just bash/hate on vista, skip this thread. I'm trying to go beyond the heedless bashing/hating and actually see if there is any significant difference in Vista since the release.
Spirits Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:57 AM   #2
MagiK
Emerald Dragon

Default Re: Windows vista?

I like Vista 64 Ultimate, with SP1. Works great, have been able to get the games I want to work on it AND with a Quad core processor and 8gig of memory and 3 monitors, multi-tasking while gaming is very doable.

For Example, playing Sacred 2 now, I have the game on the 40" display and the Sacred Wiki up on the 21" monitor
really helps when I am stuck.

Last edited by MagiK; 01-11-2009 at 01:04 AM.
MagiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:06 AM   #3
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I'm satisfied overall with XP and don't see a need to switch.

I did go in yesterday to get some prices on upgrading the hardware...
Old 01-11-2009, 07:34 AM   #4
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

If your rig has a lot of RAM(recommend at least 3GB) then Vista will work fine for you. Vista's main gripe is that it's a resource hog AND the UAC nags a lot. I didn't try a DX10 game when I had Vista installed, so I can't help there. I did notice that when running BG1 on Vista, it wanted to put the savegames in my Documents folder...instead of the BG1 save folder. My verdict?....a lot of RAM, a hefty processor, and you are good to go. If you don't like the UAC nags, then you can just disable the UAC.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:28 AM   #5
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

i found out with VISTA is the lack of printer drivers only. Difficult to obtain. Best wait for Windows 7 and then you do a research from people who will compare them.

Oh another thing with UAC, you cant modify programs in the program files with UAC off (it has to be on) from my experience.

Other than that works fine with me .. oh except sleep function as well.

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:04 PM   #6
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

http://thevistaforums.com/index.php?showforum=29

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:17 PM   #7
MagiK
Emerald Dragon

Elfbane and Harkoliar,

Agree with the 3+ gig of memory but would recommend 4

The printer Driver issue hasn't been a problem for the most part since SP1 and what I have found is that it is usually older printers that the Manufacturer will not create drivers for because they want you to buy a newer printer. That will continue to be a problem in Win7 since they will still want to focus on their current line of printers and not want to support really old legacy stuff.

I've got UAC turned off, have not had to turn it on for any reason in 11 months (time of my build)

All in all, I'll stick with vista for a while...it cost enough, and untill I cannot do something I want to do, there is no need for an update to my OS. (System is dualboot with Win XP but I almost never boot into XP any more)
Old 01-12-2009, 10:07 AM   #8
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Vista is a resource hog imo, but it's waht I'm stuck woth

And OT........how can you be stuck in Sacred 2 - it's kill, collect and kill some more. Or so my lvl 120 SW seems to find it

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:27 AM   #9
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Depends on your usage...I find Vista to be an EXCELLENT media experience...it includes all the tools you need for viewing media, anyway. Sure, there's a big hole in terms of authoring content (c'mon, sound recorder? When are they going to axe that), but, for playing it, microsoft really excels.

As for DX 10...well...if you have a Geforce 9800GTX or a Radeon HD 4850 or better, you probably won't notice much of a performance difference in very many games. Below those cards, though, and it's a fair amount of overhead, and not really feasible.

Is that what you really want to say?

Last edited by Ilander; 01-12-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:57 PM   #10
Spirits Reborn
Anubis

Ahh hmm alright I think it'd be better if I had put my specs lol

I'm running a Amd Athlon 64 dual core 4000+
2.11 ghz , and 2 gigs of ram

Using a Geforce 9400gt gfx card

What would you guys say about this?
Spirits Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote