Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2001, 08:58 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Surely Arsenal, Leeds et al must have known that in signing international players they would be taking a risk that these players would be selected to play for their country - irrespective of what country that is and how important the game is?

The French football federation has threatened to play a second game against the Socceroos in Australia if the world governing body FIFA buckles under pressure from English clubs to switch the November 11 game from the MCG.

A petition, led by Arsenal and signed by 10 other English clubs, has been sent to FIFA headquarters asking that the game be switched from Australia to a European venue, to avoid a 44-hour round trip for their players.

Arsenal's French manager Arsene Wenger - who has Thierry Henry, Sylvain Wiltord, Robert Pires and Patrick Vieira on his club's books - has been the most vocal critic of the timing and the venue of the fixture.

Wenger's peers in the French coaching union have lambasted his attitude and national coach Roger Lemerre has made it clear that not only will the game go ahead, but he will definitely take his first-choice squad to Australia.

The French federation (FFF) has also responded aggressively to the challenge from the English clubs, whose approach to FIFA was made without the backing of England's Football Association.

In a letter to FIFA, obtained by the Herald, FFF director-general Gerard Enault has threatened to add a second match to the Australian trip unless the petition is rejected.

"I would like to inform you that this meeting [game] was allocated within the free dates on the international calendar and we only organised one friendly meeting instead of two, as previously discussed [with Soccer Australia]," the letter stated.

"Should the English clubs continue to pressure us with their attitude we will be considering the second game.

"I would like to state to you that the protection of national selections must be a priority of all federations with the backing of FIFA. Consequently, I would be grateful that you take this matter into consideration, and [with] what I consider a priority over the private interest of a few professional English clubs, whatever their recognition may be."

FIFA has yet to respond publicly to the petition, which is in the hands of its legal department. However, sources in Zurich suggest the world body is merely working on the wording of its response before rejecting the approach.

------------------
Old 09-29-2001, 09:03 AM   #2
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Wow, torn between the dilemna of club (want Arsenal to win the league) and country (want Australia to get a good preparation game before the World Cup play off games). Oh my daughter or my ducats - what do I do???????????????

PS - YAY for Brisbane (Davros cracks open another green Bacardi Breezer )

------------------
Old 09-29-2001, 09:05 AM   #3
Tuor
Elminster

I personally think France should play its first choice team and ignore the British clubs spiteful little tantrums.

These are the same clubs which incidently are calling for the Player's Football Association to get a smaller percentage of television money next year because they are getting extra cash from Sky and ITV.

The cash doesn't go to the world class players its for training stars of the future, promoting the game in Britain and rehabilitating and retraining those whose careers are ruined by injury.

We could have player's strikes soon.

Incidently I'm a Spurs fan and we don't have any French players so I couldn't care less if they play 40 games in Oz this year. But I'd like to think I'd feel the same if we did.