Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 04-29-2001, 09:42 PM   #1
Gargoyle
Manshoon

I have decided to play the game through as a Jester, the first time I played through I left a lot of areas unexplored and purposefully left myself with minimal equipment (I like a challege)and so when I played it through this time I would lots of things to go WOW at. I was wondering what are the best ways to equip a Jester as they appear to be one of the weakest classes and I don't know much about them at higher levels, what items work best etc

PS. Im also playing evil this time.

------------------
Time is only relevant if you have none !
Old 04-29-2001, 10:06 PM   #2
Draggor
Zhentarim Guard

There are some good swords to use, like celestial fury and the blade of roses. You could take advantage of being evil and use the double hande sword unholy reaver, if you can.

------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to visit this board.
Old 04-29-2001, 11:27 PM   #3
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
i played a jester once,my first try at it,i forgot what i had with him..some kina bows,i didnt get very far with him,hehe...
Old 04-30-2001, 12:41 AM   #4
Evil Jake

Ahhh the ol' Evil Clown routine....

Some general tips to make him rock.

#1 WANDS, WANDS ,WANDS. The wand of summoning and cloud kill are your best weapons. You'll get them both in the opening dungeon. Sell them to a merchant or fence and then buy or preferably steal them back. They will now have 50 charges each. The ice wand insn't bad either and it holds 100 charges. They can get you through about 80% of encounters...if not more. I'm talking solo here. Use and recharge frequently. Far deadlier than any "weapon".

#2 Bards level up fast.As soon as you reach 15th level start making use of reanimate dead. You get the jumbo killer skeletons. They are tough to kill and can deal out a lot of damage. Don't forget to heal them to make them last longer. These bad boys hang around for hours. Far better than any summoned creatures or elementals in my opinion.

#3 The Jesters mail you can get by putting in 20 tokens in Irenicus's dungeon
probably isn't worth it..too bad...it looks really cool but you can't cast spells in it. The Planar Sphere has some better chain ( Boots of Speed too )... also Trade Meet. A Point to remember here is ...

A. Don't poison the Grove! If you do you'll miss the Elven Chain

B. After you End the Druid and Genie problems you become heros of the city. After the " hero " ceremony you are asked by the two house leaders to get them the mantle of waukeen from the crypt. Do so and return it to the House that paid you. Don't give it to Logan. You'll get the mail in the resulting battle.

4. To get through any ultra tough encounters with liches/spellcasters use one of the protection from magic scrolls that Ribald sells. He only has two so use them wisely ie...last resort. They last ten turns and nothing can touch you. I used one scoll to get Kangaxx AND the Rogue stone quest.

Old 04-30-2001, 12:33 PM   #5
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Yes, wands. If you are going solo, then use wands often.

Don't forget the protection from undead scrolls. Get a lot of them.

There aren't really any good instruments for the jester (if you are going solo).
Old 04-30-2001, 01:41 PM   #6
Epona
Zartan

I'm a great fan of bards
POTENTIAL ITEM SPOILERS
I think the only weapon a bard can't use is Composite Long Bow - but they can use normal longbows (incl. elven court bow)

I think Evil Jake means Planar Prison, not Planar Sphere. Planar Prison lets you get your stronghold and some of the treasure includes a great chain mail for bards and the boots of speed. (although there is loads of good stuff in the planar sphere too).

Tensers Transformation (lvl 6) is the most useful spell for a bard, write it into your spell book as soon as you get hold of it. It doubles your HP, improves your AC by 4 (up to -10), all attacks are made as if you were a fighter of the same level with an additional +2 to hit and damage. You can do some serious slicing with this one!

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas and The Ladies Guild.
Old 04-30-2001, 02:34 PM   #7
ShadowUK

Hard'd is a great Bard!

------------------
Old 05-01-2001, 07:35 PM   #8
Gargoyle
Manshoon

Thanks guys, I appreciate the good advice !!

------------------
Time is only relevant if you have none !