Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2003, 10:35 AM   #1
StarVid
Elminster

Until I get to Spellhold, my base party will be Jah, Minsc, and Jan. After spellhold I'll pick up Imoen, and by ToB I'll have the ToB NPC (fighter). In the meantime, blank spots will be used for other NPCs for their quests. Eventually my party will consist of 3 tanks, 1.5 mages, 1 thief, and 1 healer. It's a pretty complete party and I can't think of any class I could be that would really have anything to offer the party. I have my mage bases covered. I'm not really fond of clerics so that's out. I obviously don't need any more thief skills, and my front line is completely covered. I could be an Archer and hang back with the backline, but I find the class to be too limiting. Also, I only play TN or CN alignments. On the other hand, I could be a bard, though I think the extra spellcasting would be superfluous, and ranged combat skills to be quite weak.

But anyway, I'd appreciate some suggestions. Thanks. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2003, 01:29 PM   #2
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

If you hadn't said that you dislike Clerics, I'd suggest a Ranger/Cleric or Berserker->Cleric. You've got some good Warriors on your team, but none of them are really top-notch in Tanking with a Shield. (Jaheira doesn't have many HP, Minsc is better off Dual-wielding, and you-know-who prefers 2-handed weapons.) Plus, the Cleric half of the Priest Scroll stomps all over the Druid half (although having Jaheira mitigates this). As it is, I'd suggest a Berserker (Korgan, minus the attitude problem), or perhaps a Barbarian.
Old 04-29-2003, 01:50 PM   #3
StarVid
Elminster

I kind of have an anti-cleric thing happening. Here's why:

http://forums.interplay.com/viewtopic.php?t=20017

Nobody there has really been able to counter the argument presented, though if anyone here can, I'd love to hear it.
Old 04-29-2003, 02:20 PM   #4
Stratos
Vampire

I think some of them pointed out a good answer right there. Clerics are IMHO fairly useless as single class but wonderful when multi/dual with Fighters, Rangers or Mages. Single class Clerics fight poorly but that´s where the Fighters and Rangers come into the picture and combined with a Mage you have access to alot of spells and some interesting spell combinations.
Old 05-01-2003, 11:26 AM   #5
StarVid
Elminster

Granted, a F/C could make some good use out of DUHM, Righteous Magic, and such, but a single dispel magic would really nerf him/her up. I suppose the same could be said for a F/M but to a lesser extent (dispel doesn't work on stoneskins after all). Like that posts says, it's pretty easy to cover the cleric "bases" with just a mage and a druid, and with the two of them you have more offensive power too.
Old 05-02-2003, 06:46 PM   #6
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by StarVid:
Granted, a F/C could make some good use out of DUHM, Righteous Magic, and such, but a single dispel magic would really nerf him/her up.
Ever compare Anomen to a player-made cleric? The reason why Anomen kicks so much keister is he has better HP, THAC0, saves, and more proficiency points. How did he gets these bonuses? His fighter class half.

Don't give up on F/C just yet. A berserker/cleric or a wizard slayer/cleric would make a fearsome combo, especially if you dual right outside Chateau Irenicus.
Old 05-03-2003, 05:02 AM   #7
daan
Silver Dragon

Plus the ranger/cleric is among the few classes that can attain complete immunity and beyond ( healing Immunity ) to all physical damage.

Also, since regular clerics lvl up rather fast there wont be an awfull lot of dispel magic's that are going to have effect ( read the description why ).

This might be a bit more problematic for Ranger/clerics and fighter/clerics,.. but just throw in the Tactics Mod, strap on a pair of boots and *poof*, no more problem.

Still, in comparison to other classes clerics are indeed weaker. Heck, even the Deva is laughable .. any random cat or bird in ToB could take one of those down.

So normal clerics arent too much,.. though I must say that the difference with and wihtout clerical buffs on your party *is* quite significant ... the duals are nothing to sneeze at.

You forgot Greater Restoration by the way:
ToB changes this into an area of effect spell which completely heals your entire party.

Chaotic Commands is great to have too.

With the rebalanced shapeshifter-mod also comes a variation on summon Bears ( lvl 6 I think ) .. it now summons 2 greater Wereberes that even my Kensai with 5 attacks per round has a hard time with .. these babies regenerate *and* strike a punch.

Aerial Servants are extremely mean in dishing out damage with very decent HP, Fire Elementals have a lot of Immunities which come in very very handy.

I've only played clerics one or two times and already discovered these spells,.. a more veteran cleric will most definetly be able to give you more.

( ask Butterfingers, he's SoA only .. but a bit of a cleric fanatic [img]tongue.gif[/img] )

It's kinda like mages if you ask me .. you just need to find the potential.
If it werent for the Robe of Vecna and Improved Alacrity clerics wouldnt be all that different IMHO.

*sigh* If only the clerics got the avatar-HLA [img]smile.gif[/img]