Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2003, 04:05 PM   #11
Annatar
Mephistopheles

Aaaahhh I missed that part, I thought that Thorfinn thought that Keldorn was a Mod Npc... a little bit of dis-communication. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-14-2003, 04:36 PM   #12
StarVid
Elminster

I'm pretty much tossed between Mazzy and Valygar. If I can get her early enough, I'm thinking Mazzy is the better choice. She levels faster so I can put her weapons profs into something other/better than short sword. This way she'll also have the benefit of being able to use better armor.

As for Jah, any ideas there? I did a search for old threads regarding this and I saw a pretty even split between two handed weapon and sword/shield. I'm really on the fence with this one.
Old 03-14-2003, 06:13 PM   #13
Klutz
Manshoon

I only have experience with the unmodded game, so it's a good thing you said that up front.

For 6th party member, although I've never used her myself, I agree with Thorfinn that Mazzy sounds like a perfect fit, for the same reasons.

For Jaheira: (Numerous spoilers from here on out)
I personally don't think Sword & Shield style is ever worth it, even for a character that you plan to have using a weapon and a shield. There aren't that many threatening missle attacks in SOA, and the few times that there is you have plenty of specialized shields that have great AC vs missle or even reflect missle attacks.
I also don't think the 3rd point in two-weapon style is that valuable. The first two points take your THACO from -4/-8 to -0/-4, effectively granting +2 THACO each. Remember that when using two-weapon style you only get one attack per round with the off-hand weapon... every other attack is with the primary weapon. So that last point, which takes you from -0/-4 to -0/-2, means that for only a single attack each round your THACO is raised by two. I'm not saying don't put a point there if you have points to spare... but Jaheira doesn't, probably not even with you taking her Sword & Shield style point.

If I recall, she starts in Irenicus's dungeon with:
** Club
* Scimitar
* Quarterstaff
* Sling
* Sword & Shield style

She will only get two more proficiencies under the SOA cap. You clearly have TOB but you mentioned you wanted her to be useful with something sooner rather than later (ex: not waiting for Impaler).

Option 1: Club/Sling + Shield
Just add one point in sling... max S&S style if you wish. This is actually how I played her my first time. Two fine clubs in Trademeet: Gnasher +2 and Blackblood +3; there's other threads debating their relative merits. I put my two extra proficiencies for SOA first into Quarterstaff and then into Sling, to maximize her backup weapon power. The two best slings are both purchasable in Athlaka (Sling of Seeking +2 and, with bonus merchants, Sling of Everard +5). Flexible, but not optimized really for anything.

Option 2: Dual-wield Clubs or Club + Scimitar
Add two points to two-weapon style. Use both of the above mentioned clubs. For even more firepower, take the point you are removing from her S&S style and add it to Scimitar, and then dual-wield your favorite club with Belm +2 in the off hand for an extra attack.

Option 3: Quarterstaff
Add one point in Quarterstaff, then one (two with S&S point) in two-handed weapon style. With bonus merchants there is a decent +3 Druid staff you can buy in Athlaka. Without, the Staff of Rynn is a straight +4 staff also purchasable in Athlaka. There's also tons of staves in the game that are good versus specific opponents that you will be able to effectively use. Your ideal Druid staff unfortunately isn't available till nearly the end of Chapter 7 (Staff of the Woodlands +4), but for long-term planning I understand one of the best weapons in TOB is a staff.

Option 4: Spear
Add two points in Spear, then work on two-handed weapon style. Even if you were patient enough to wait for Impaler and even counting your extra point from S&S style, you don't have enough points to max both Spear and 2-H weapon until past the SOA XP cap. I did want to point out, though, that if you do choose to go this route, there are +3 Spears you can find in Athlaka so you won't be doing that badly prior to getting Impaler in the Saughain City. Anyone know if Impaler's piercing damage is doubled by criticals?
Old 03-14-2003, 06:23 PM   #14
Too Hot
Dungeon Master

mazzy is an amazin tank if u have TOB u can buy an amazin weapon in Watchers Keep
Old 03-14-2003, 07:18 PM   #15
StarVid
Elminster

Thanks for the tips, Klutz. I wasn't planning to put points into the S&S skill, merely use that method where she has a shield and a 1h weapon. I'm a bit hesitant to get rid of the shield, partly because there are some nice shields, and partly because one of Jah's biggest strengths is her defense. Also, while the +3 spear is decent until I get impaler, either Blackblood or Gnasher (I'm looking at item descrips now) is better and can be wielded in one hand. I'm guessing that the best 2h SoA weapon will be the impaler which has 14-19 base damage, which also comes late in the game. On the other hand the best 1h SoA weapon would probably be Blackblood which does 7-12 and can use the shield of harmony for a bunch of immunities. It's really a tough call.

I'm thinking I could give spears to Mazzy though (it would be a polearm to her though), this way I can still get some use out of the Impaler, and some of the ToB spears. But then again, I could also go for hammers and get her the Crom Faeyr (she'd get more use of it than Vic).

Oi...decisions decisions...
Old 03-14-2003, 08:04 PM   #16
koconnor100
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by StarVid:
I should mention, I don't plan on using any mods.

Though with that in mind, I have no idea what I'm going to do with Jah.
The best thing to do with Jaheira is, right at the beginning of the game, save it and then get a character editer. Edit her to be a pure druid instead of a fighter druid. She her druidish comments and quests and romance still make perfect sense and are doable (her fighter levels don't do much , just add an extra attack, a few more hp, thats about it), and she has a lot more spells now, not to mention getting the cool shape shifts that much sooner.
Old 03-14-2003, 08:16 PM   #17
StarVid
Elminster

I can't do that. Reassigning weapon proficiencies is one thing, but completely changing the character is farther than I'm willing to go. I don't even like the idea of changing the weapons proficiencies (but the programmers arrange some bizzare combinations)
Old 03-17-2003, 03:49 PM   #18
Klutz
Manshoon

Item spoilers...
For maximum damage in a party with SOA items while retaining the shield option, I'd say probably go with my "Option 2": two-weapon style. Simply swap your off-hand weapon out for a shield whenever you really feel you need the extra resistances/immunities (usually from Shield of Harmony, or Shield of Balduran if you have bonus merchants).

The one thing you don't get from that proficiency assignment is specialization in sling... but both Mazzy or Valygar are at least specialized in a ranged weapon, so you'll have another character covering that need whichever you choose. Minsc also has ** in Longbow, if you ever have him far enough away from the action to use it.

I wouldn't be too focused on trying to make sure you use any one specific item (read: Impaler). If you really want to give Mazzy a new proficiency that will pay off big in TOB, try halberd. There's 3 +4 halberds in unmodded SOA alone (though you need to get to the Underdark or further for all of them), and you get a +2/+2 cold damage one (Duskblade?) just by finishing the quest where you find her. Also, if you have bonus merchants (not generally considered a mod since the collector's edition was sold with them enabled by the game distributors) I believe there is a nice +3 halberd you can buy from one of the bonus merchants.