Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 09-06-2007, 04:39 PM   #1
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Sunglass Man Lord British is coming back...

From Yahoo News...

Quote:
Lord British is back, only this time he's wielding an energy cannon instead of a sword. Oh, and you can call him General British now.

Richard Garriott, the acclaimed game designer who pioneered the genre of massive multiplayer online games, has finished his latest work, "Tabula Rasa," a science fiction-themed title he reckons will alter the way such games are played.

Massively multiplayer online games, or MMOs, are so called because they allow thousands of players connected through the Internet to explore a virtual world at the same time.

Garriott's "Ultima Online," launched a decade ago, was one of the first MMOs to feature rich graphics and is credited with leading the way for popular games such as Sony Corp's "Everquest" and Blizzard's "World of Warcraft."

In fact, "World of Warcraft" has amazed the gaming industry with its ever-growing global legion of loyal fans -- 9 million active players and counting.

Yet Garriott was troubled by the dedication "Warcraft" and other online games demanded of players, who must devote dozens of hours to building their in-game characters.

"'Tabula Rasa' really is a fresh approach to MMOs," he said. "Some of the design changes we've put in 'TR' will set the standards for next 10 years."

Garriott's answer was to make advancement in "Tabula Rasa" based on working through the storyline, rather than killing a certain number of monsters or defeating a powerful enemy.

"We believe we've created a game that is much kinder to casual play," Garriott said.

The basic story is that in the near future aliens invade Earth and destroy almost all of humanity. Players are the only survivors and they must travel the stars to defeat the aggressors.

"One of the first things we decided when we started was not to do another medieval fantasy game. We were eager to branch out and try something new. There's still way too much fantasy in the genre right now," Garriott said.

Another thing Garriott is known for is imbuing his worlds with moral dilemmas. In Garriott's games, players could not kill or steal and expect people around them not to notice. The choice was still there, but it came with a price.

"Tabula Rasa" has a similar mechanism dubbed the "ethical parable." In one case, a player must ferret out who is stealing medical stimulants from a military clinic. It turns out that soldiers are using the drug to give them a badly needed edge in battle. The player must decide whether or not to turn them in.

"The game is just peppered with moments that are intended to be thought provoking, not trying to preach any angle or social issue, but are intended to provoke thought and challenge a player's personal beliefs," Garriott said.

The game's name, Latin for "blank slate," was originally a working title meant to encourage Garriott's team to rethink the rules. But the name stuck due to a game element that is one of the most intriguing parts of its entire design.

Garriott envisioned an alien writing system that could be read by any player and would reveal secret knowledge to help their characters. In essence, that meant Garriott had to create a universal language, a task that led him to spend months studying Egyptian hieroglyphics, ancient Chinese script and even signage for international events like the Olympic Games.

As players decipher the alien words, symbols are added to a tablet they carry, granting them powers and new abilities. The "blank slate" turned out to be crucial to the game's plot.

Garriott, 46, was famous for wandering the worlds he created in the guise of his virtual alter ego, Lord British, an identity he is carrying over to "Tabula Rasa."

"Tabula Rasa" is being published by South Korea's NCSoft, whose "Lineage" online games are among the most popular titles in that country. The game is to be released on October 19 in the United States and Europe.
Should be interesting to see what happens...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:03 AM   #2
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
Default Re: Lord British is coming back...

To some of us Bungleau, he never really ever left.

Nice heads up about Tabula Rasa however, which will hopefully assist to push future MMO's beyond the first generational thinking level that most are currently bogged within (the levelling treadmill).

The influence of Ultima lives on!
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:07 PM   #3
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Arrow Re: Lord British is coming back...

Yeah I have pre-ordered the Collector edition so I get both the pre-order bonuses as well as the Collector ones.

The pre-order give you access to the beta btw.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:21 AM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Ultima III was my second CRPG... Might and Magic was the first. Good things never really leave, do they?
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 11:31 AM   #5
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

I've seen a few reviews of Tabula Rasa. It looks quite nice.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 09:02 PM   #6
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I saw a featured article on this game 2 years ago and put it on my wishlist. But I gathered since I hadn't heard anything from it that it released and wasn't well received. Only to read here that they were still working on it all this time! That can only be good for an MMO. since time = content. Will defo. watch for this one.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:40 PM   #7
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Actually, I believe they started again from scratch. The publishers thought the original design was much too ambitious and opted instead for a classical sci-fi themed game, which still looks awesome. Still, it's hard to find any traces of Garriott's original design in there.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:59 PM   #8
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yes, I think that's what I fell in love with. Even the screens I see now aren't like what I originally saw on the featured article in PC gamer about 2 years back. There were diagrams of archetype trees to choose from and it looked so detailed that I was overlooking the sci-fi element and really wanted to play it (I don't mind sci-fi it just seems every sci-fi game is an FPS or psuedo-fps game as opposed to an RPG). Now it's looking more like Bioshock than anything else...I don't know much though, just my vague impression.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:55 PM   #9
Gnarf
Emerald Dragon

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...on-Tabula-Rasa
Old 10-10-2007, 04:45 PM   #10
Lord Michael
Elminster

Gnarf, do you know how MEAN hippos are?

"Better to die on your feet than to live on your knees"
Lord Michael is offline   Reply With Quote