Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 06-08-2004, 01:32 AM   #41
Dedzy
The Magister

I had my boy circumcized a few months ago for two main reasons:
1) I understood the medical reasons for hygiene benefits to be good ones.
2) Just to fit in, I don't want my boy to be a freak in gym class if there isn't a good reason.

There have been several people who are using the term 'mutilation' for boys' circumcisions, and are talking about lots of pain. I was there when his pediatrician did it, it was an interesting procedure. When my baby boy got circumcized, he cried for maybe 5 minutes, no more than if he had wanted a bottle. I don't know why people are throwing around words like 'psychological trauma' for something that is such a small procedure.

As for the 'freedom of choice' issue, thats a good one to consider. The problem is, if you don't have your baby circumcized, he probably won't ever do it because it sounds like it would hurt a lot more later in life.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:10 AM   #42
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Dedzy there are those that might take offense to your reference of being un-circumcised as being a freak. While your son may have indeed recieved verbal abuse in gym class for not being circumcised (kids can be exceptionally cruel) it would not make him a freak.

Hygiene issues can be solved simply by cleaning the area in question at the same time you clean the rest of your body.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with circumcision. Abuse? Not so far as I can see.

Let me know if this is breaching into the realm of religion here, if I am I'll delete the following portion of the post.
-According to Biblical documentation, circumcision first arose as proof of the covenant between Abram (later called Abraham) and God. Get this, he was 90 when he had his done, long before annesthetics came about. *shudder*

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Old 06-08-2004, 02:22 AM   #43
Dedzy
The Magister

Firestorm, I certainly didn't mean to imply that people who didn't get circumcized are freaks. And sorry to anyone who thinks that. My point was that I didn't want him to unnecessarily FEEL like a freak. There are enough social trends that I have to buck here in Salt Lake City without having to fight something like this.
Old 06-08-2004, 05:23 AM   #44
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
The point that he MIGHT be regarded as a freak says it all though.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:36 AM   #45
Ironbar
Manshoon

A dog should always have a tail as it allows the dog to express itself. I am not really a dog person but the sight of a dog wagging its tail is one of the best things that can happen (not even Doberman tails hurt!).
Old 06-08-2004, 06:46 AM   #46
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Dedzy:
Firestorm, I certainly didn't mean to imply that people who didn't get circumcized are freaks. And sorry to anyone who thinks that. My point was that I didn't want him to unnecessarily FEEL like a freak. There are enough social trends that I have to buck here in Salt Lake City without having to fight something like this.
This brings to a head the point of social pressure. To do this procedure to "fit" in seems stunning to many other cultures. It really seems that the above point is very prevalent in the USA, more so than other western countries. Six years ago when my son was born the idea that he be circumcised would have been met with contempt from the medical profession. It is getting rare these days to have this operation done on grounds other than religion. My wife's younger brother felt like a freak at school in Britain because he WAS circumcised and came home upset several times at the abuse he received in the gym classes. He had problems all through school because of being circumcised and would never even use the school toilets because of the taunts (cant children be very cruel) So Dedzy point is a valid one I guess, though it still does not justify the mutilation in my eyes. Maybe its time to break the cycle, to reduce the pressure to conform?

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 06-08-2004, 06:52 AM   #47
bjorn
Zhentarim Guard

If it was medicaly proven that a circumcized man is healthier I certainly think that the procedure would be standrd in most parts of the world, however, it isen't. It's only standard due to religious beliefs and for some reason in america (near standard).

It seems to me , and please dont't take this the wrong way, that it sort of folk lore in america, that it is healthier that is.

I asure you, I don't mean to offend.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:05 AM   #48
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Dedzy:
I had my boy circumcized a few months ago for two main reasons:
1) I understood the medical reasons for hygiene benefits to be good ones.
2) Just to fit in, I don't want my boy to be a freak in gym class if there isn't a good reason.
Here, he would be regarded as somewhat of a freak (or at least a case of interest) if he WAS circumcised.

EDIT: just noticed Wellard said this too. There you go. Like I said I was extremely surprised to learn that this was common practice in America. I'm pretty lucky not to be born there I guess

[ 06-08-2004, 07:09 AM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Old 06-08-2004, 07:10 AM   #49
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
If it was medicaly proven that a circumcized man is healthier
That's one huge pile of BS. Medically proven by who ? The nutty professor ?

Like i said before, it's all a matter of how you take care of yourself. I dare to say out loud that no circumsised man is healthier than i am, just because he's circumsised.

And i don't know what's more disturbing... the fact that people regard eachother as freaks wheter they are circumsised or not, or the fact that those guys obviously check out eachothers wieners in the shower.

Edit: just now i saw that the quote starts with an "if".... damn, all that ranting for nothing.

[ 06-08-2004, 07:13 AM: Message edited by: johnny ]
Old 06-08-2004, 07:14 AM   #50
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:

EDIT: just noticed Wellard said this too. There you go. Like I said I was extremely surprised to learn that this was common practice in America. I'm pretty lucky not to be born there I guess
Or you would be half the man you are now [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]