Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-14-2001, 08:38 AM   #1
Absynthe

I saw an incredibly moving scene this morning on the T.V.
In front of (I think) Buckingham Palace, the Royal Guard had assembled and was playing the "Star Spangled Banner". It was so touching to see that show of support, I was moved to tears.
Thank you to all of our British friends for this deeply felt act of solidarity. Your support is deeply appreciated and welcomed.

p.s.
I came in on the middle of the broadcast, so I am inferring the location, hope I haven't got it wrong.

Old 09-14-2001, 08:43 AM   #2
Link
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Absynthe:
I saw an incredibly moving scene this morning on the T.V.
In front of (I think) Buckingham Palace, the Royal Guard had assembled and was playing the "Star Spangled Banner". It was so touching to see that show of support, I was moved to tears.
Thank you to all of our British friends for this deeply felt act of solidarity. Your support is deeply appreciated and welcomed.

p.s.
I came in on the middle of the broadcast, so I am inferring the location, hope I haven't got it wrong.
You might want to check Nostron's thread then... he "disagrees".. (moral support is support, however you see it)

------------------
I am committed to restore your faith in extreme violence...

Link
Overlord Executioner, Slayer of Fluffed Beings
Member of Clan HADB
Supreme Warrior of Myst
Old 09-14-2001, 08:52 AM   #3
Absynthe

Hi Link. I saw that other thread, strongly disagree with it, and think I'll just let it sink away to oblivion.

Old 09-14-2001, 09:28 AM   #4
Sharpedge
Zhentarim Guard

I am proud to say that my country is resolved to stand firm with our American allies against this threat. It is the right thing to do. Though America is a large and powerful country, with many resources, I still hope that we in Britain and indeed those that have pledged their support across the world can make a difference.

It was with a solemn and heavy heart that I observed the three minutes of silence in the UK earlier today. The friends and family that I have talked to have displayed a deep sense of outrage and grief over what has occurred and wish they could do more help in some way, as do I. Though we may not be able to send in direct physical aid at this time I am sure that intelligence information will be shared between our countries, and that Britain will fully support America (both physically and morally) in whatever action they decide to take.

NATO also has come together in support of America, something that has never before occurred. At this time, I think our spirit is clear:

All for one...

...and one for all.

------------------

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.

Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure."
Old 09-14-2001, 09:32 AM   #5
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharpedge:
I am proud to say that my country is resolved to stand firm with our American allies against this threat. It is the right thing to do. Though America is a large and powerful country, with many resources, I still hope that we in Britain and indeed those that have pledged their support across the world can make a difference.

It was with a solemn and heavy heart that I observed the three minutes of silence in the UK earlier today. The friends and family that I have talked to have displayed a deep sense of outrage and grief over what has occurred and wish they could do more help in some way, as do I. Though we may not be able to send in direct physical aid at this time I am sure that intelligence information will be shared between our countries, and that Britain will fully support America (both physically and morally) in whatever action they decide to take.

NATO also has come together in support of America, something that has never before occurred. At this time, I think our spirit is clear:

All for one...

...and one for all.

We all thank you for the beautiful sentiment.

------------------
"Allright! We'll call it a draw."

"I'm INVINCIBLE! ... You're a LOONEY!"

Dare to dream. Be bold enough to try.

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)

*Newly abducted - er, inducted - member of the HADB clan. Mage extraordinair.*
Old 09-14-2001, 10:06 AM   #6
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Once again, thank you Britain. It really means a lot to see stuff like that. I couldn't believe my eyes when I was watching that on the news last night.

God bless the Queen!

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB

[This message has been edited by MILAMBER (edited 09-14-2001).]
Old 09-14-2001, 10:09 AM   #7
Donut
Jack Burton

This is the report from the yesterday's London Evening Standard Tears as Palace plays US anthem

by Harriet Arkell

As the band of No7 Company Coldstream Guards struck up the first chords of the American national anthem, the mood outside Buckingham Palace this morning was as leaden as the sky.

Never before has the US anthem been played during the changing of the guard. Never before have Americans - or much of the rest of the world - known grief like this. Two blonde girls, one wearing a jacket decorated with the US flag, clung to each other and sobbed, rocking gently as the crowd hummed the tune.

One man, dark glasses hiding his red rimmed eyes, stood erect, his right hand over his heart, as he stared ahead at the palace. One young man had brought a US flag along for the occasion, and it fluttered in the chill autumn wind as he too stared at the band in silence.

The Queen, who ordered the anthem be played at the ceremony, was not present. She is at Balmoral but will return to London for tomorrow's special service to honour the dead at St Paul's Cathedral.

Instead, the Duke of York represented the Royal Family, standing grim-faced and wearing a dark suit under the palace's central archway. He was due to be in the US today, but his jet had turned around on Tuesday after the attacks on the World Trade Center. The ceremony was also attended by William Farish, the US Ambassador to Britain, and the Lord Chamberlain, Lord Luce.

Usually visiting Americans are thrilled to see a member of the Royal Family. Today, however, their thoughts were elsewhere. "I used to do a lot of business in the World Trade Center and know several people who still do," said tourist Bill Walstron, 65.

"I'm just wondering if all my friends there are alive. There are a few names being released but I gather it will be days or even weeks before I know for sure if they survived. It is horrific."

The US anthem was followed by a two-minute silence, ordered by the Queen. Before it began a mounted policewoman rode up to the crowds near the Victoria Memorial.

"Do you all know about the two minutes' silence?" she asked gently. "Yes, ma'am," replied the crowd.

As the silence began, one woman dabbed her eyes with a tissue and an elderly couple from Texas clutched each other's hands tightly.

" Why is everybody sad mummy?" asked a small child.

"Because a lot of people have gone to heaven darling," her mother whispered. "Just be quiet and think of them."

When the silence was over the crowd burst into applause. One American man made the sign of the Cross and murmured God bless America.

Palace officials said the "usual jolly tunes" had been replaced by more sombre music for the occasion. "I've never seen anything like this," said Pc Michael Bateman, 38, who usually patrols outside the palace for the changing of the guard.

"On Monday the crowds outside the palace were a bit sparse. But today there are many, many more, and it is not just Americans either. British people have come to pay their respects and I can understand why."

Sheila Whittaker, 67, had come to the palace from Ealing to honour the dead.

"I've just been to lay flowers at the US embassy," she said. "Now I am really glad to be here. I didn't know anyone who died but that is not the point. What happened in America on Tuesday affects us all and we all have to be strong together."

------------------

Save Chip - Don't let Sarah win!
Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas
Don't mention the score - I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it!
Old 09-14-2001, 10:24 AM   #8
Absynthe

Thanks, Donut, for both the article and your sentiments. Your thoughts as well as those of your countrymen are well appreciated.

Old 09-14-2001, 10:28 AM   #9
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Great article. I lost it at the "because the'yre going to heaven honey" part.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB
Old 09-14-2001, 02:55 PM   #10
Sorcerer Alex

Britain, and indeed all of Europe has shown its determination to stand behind America in this matter. But I am nevertheless concerned about the Islams. I go to an international school and often come into contact with people of this faith. They resolutely support the terrorists out of principle - it seems to me that simply being Islamic = hating all Americans. I know dozens of Islams and do not know one of them that condemns these attacts on the Pentagon and the WTC. The more I think about it, the more it certainly does seem like them against the western world.