Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-03-2001, 10:00 AM   #1
Fuzzy Animal
Zhentarim Guard

Okay, after much indecision and gnashing of teeth I have decided to play a sorcerer. I got to ToB and was envious of Nalia and Imoen having all the fun with mage spells. I tried to be evil and I didn't like it, and I tried some other class and I really missed mage spell for my main character. I want to try to solo. Here is my initial spell selection and why I chose my spells:

1st level

Magic missle (must have offensive spell)
Identify (hey I'm not making the temples rich)
Protection from evil (demons, demons, demons)
Protection from petrification (traps???)
Blind (works great on fighter types)

2nd level

Mirror Image (good defensive spell)
Knock (hey, no thieves)
Melf's Acid arrow (good spell disrupter)
Resist fear (enemies love fear spells)

3rd level

Melf's Minute Meteors (I use this a LOT)
Protection from Normal Missles (there are a lot of accurate archers out there)

As soon as rescued Minsc I leveled up and received a forth level spell:

Stoneskin ( very very very useful)

Were these good choices???? Comments, opinions welcome.
Old 11-03-2001, 10:07 AM   #2
Melusine
Dracolisk

I think you chose well - Magic Missile is inevitable, of course, Identify seems wise, as does Protection from Evil. Not sure about P. from Petrification, I don't think you'll need it *that* much... maybe Armor for protection when you're lower level?
Level two: Web or Stinking Cloud may be handy to disable large groups of enemies... Mirror Image, Melf's Acid Arrow and Knock were well chosen though.
Uhh..a lot of accurate archers out there? I haven't seen *that* many... besides, are you sure that enemy archers use normal (i.e. non-magical) weapons? Melf's Minute Meteors are indispensable, maybe you could use a Fireball spell too, though you could use wands for that.
Stoneskin would have been my choice as well for level 4, followed by Wizard Eye.
Old 11-03-2001, 10:08 AM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Fuzzy Animal:
1st level

Magic missle (must have offensive spell)
Identify (hey I'm not making the temples rich)
Protection from evil (demons, demons, demons)
I would have chosen Spook instead, Staff of Magi gives you permanent Protection from Evil already.
Protection from petrification (traps???)
Blind (works great on fighter types)

2nd level

Mirror Image (good defensive spell)
Knock (hey, no thieves)
Melf's Acid arrow (good spell disrupter)
Resist fear (enemies love fear spells)

3rd level

Melf's Minute Meteors (I use this a LOT)
Protection from Normal Missles (there are a lot of accurate archers out there)
I would have prefered Flame Arrow, Stoneskin will handle most archers and Mislead will serve you very well against fighters and archers, not to mention that this spell becomes useless against higher level enemies, as a Sorcerer, you would not want to eventually have useless spells.
As soon as rescued Minsc I leveled up and received a forth level spell:

Stoneskin ( very very very useful)

Old 11-03-2001, 10:10 AM   #4
Paxsenarrion
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I think these are excellent choices for the level you're at, and Melf's Minute Meteors is an absolute I Cannot Live Without It spell, even once you start casting ninth levels, I think. It will deal damage to ANYTHING, you can toss 'em over and over, and that's really important for the poor mage stuck in the back. Also, they work great against Golems, especially the Adamnite (sp?) bastards you'll run into later, which are resistant to most magic and and even a lot of weapons. Later on, if you run across them, try to pick up a Staff of Striking for the cleric types and a Tasheron's Short Bow for your archer... these also will deal damage to the uber golems when most other things will not.

Best of luck to you, young wizard!
Old 11-03-2001, 10:16 AM   #5
Barb
Symbol of Cyric

magic missile is lethal when used witha top quality mage. i would give yourself more knock and identify spells so you dont have to rest as much.
Old 11-03-2001, 10:19 AM   #6
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Barb:
magic missile is lethal when used witha top quality mage. i would give yourself more knock and identify spells so you dont have to rest as much.

Barb... Fuzzy Animal is a Sorcerer, he does not need to memorise spells... ...
Old 11-03-2001, 10:48 AM   #7
Paxsenarrion
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hey, dude, she was tryin' to be helpful. [img]smile.gif[/img]

In all fairness, I didn't register the distinction until you pointed it out, myself. Like, then I facepalmed and remembered reading about the difference, but people like me who back in the day had the original basic D&D Box Set (back in the days of Gary Gygax when the Wizards of the Coast were still sucking at the teat) kind of slip every once in a while with all the new fangled distinctions *giggle* We had one spellcaster, the Magic User, what were armed with only daggers, an' we played Keep on the Borderlands (that was module B2 for you old timers), and we walked uphill to school both ways and we ate dirt and we LIKED IT!!! *big grin*

Love and Kisses From The Older Than Gawd,

Pax
Old 11-03-2001, 11:41 AM   #8
Fuzzy Animal
Zhentarim Guard

I just wanted to make a correction, I have four second level spells because I am level 9 now. I also added lightning bolt for my third level spell and minor globe of invulnerability for my fouth level spell.
Old 11-03-2001, 01:54 PM   #9
Barb
Symbol of Cyric

quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:

Barb... Fuzzy Animal is a Sorcerer, he does not need to memorise spells... ...

What? why dosn't he need to memorise spells?
Old 11-03-2001, 02:03 PM   #10
Barb
Symbol of Cyric

How did you get green and red writing?