Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum > Wizards & Warriors Archives

Old 10-10-2000, 12:27 AM   #1
Deschutes

Hi adventurers,

i enjoy this great game. It is the real Wizardry 8 for me. But i have one serious problem:

I want to use 3D acceleration. With my riva tnt 2 ultra. But the game chrashes afer a short period of gameplay. Fpr example: I move the mouse over the left statue at the cryp. The text appears and then the game freezes. Only a hard reset and rebooting is neccesary. Could anyone help me?

System Configuration:
PIII 450
Riva TNT 2 Ultra
128 MB RAM
45 gb Harddisk
Win98Se
Yamaha Waveforce 192xg

Thanx for any help!

Bye

Deschutes

Old 10-10-2000, 03:53 PM   #2
Loremaster

Make sure you have at least 500meg free on your hard disk for the swap file, and if you haven't already done so, set Windows to manage virtual memory. Activision seem convinced that all crashes are down to virtual memory problems, but as for me I remain to be convinced. Be sure to have the latest drivers for both your graphics and sound cards too.

Old 10-10-2000, 04:46 PM   #3
Truce

I have had the exact same problem on a nearly identical system. The problem is that all other games run great, but W&W is unplayable, hanging completely in the same spot every time (for me it's a fountain in the crypt dungeon). I think it would be in Activision/Heuristic's best interests to patch this game. If they don't, then I urge everyone who's having problems not to buy anything more from the developer or publisher.

By addressing this as a "swap file" problem, Activision is probably saying that the game isn't important enough to fix. Changing your swap file setting sounds like a generic fix that isn't at the root of this particular problem. I have tried several different settings for my swap file and have plenty of free hard drive space, but run into the same problem every time.

Note to David Bradley: please find a way to make this game more stable. I do not forget this sort of thing (and will never purchase another Origin product due to the mess that was U9).

Old 10-10-2000, 09:19 PM   #4
Ziroc

(Truce): yeah, I remember that hell (Ultima 9) geez, even with a P3-700, 256MB ram and a Geforce 2 (With 64mb ram) the game was slow. not to mention the bugs! :-p

Do either of you guys have Voodoo2 cards? If so, email me (webmaster@tgeweb.com) and I'll try and help you out. All I can think of right now is make sure you hav DirectX 7.0a installed, or if so, reinstall it again (DirectX).

let me know,

Dan Huling
Manager, Ironworks Gaming

Old 10-12-2000, 11:06 AM   #5
Aiden

Yes, I've seen the same. When I turn on 3D acceleration, I can run fine in town. Click on Load Game and it loads right to the desktop. I am using reference drivers for the 3D card. I noticed that in the readme, they said they don't fully support reference drivers. Think that sounds a bit odd... I have noticed, the text is a bit fuzzy when the 3d is on.

Config:
Thunderbird 1000
GeForce2 GTS - Nvidia Reference 6.18 drivers
256 MB Ram
9 Gig Ultra160 - Got about 3 GB free - shouldn't be a VM problem. Nothing else locks up.
SBLive Value - LiveWare 3 drivers.
Win98/SE

Maybe it's a nvidia issue... I noticed you have a tnt2ultra. Is anyone playing this with a Voodoo or other-based card?

Old 10-13-2000, 07:06 AM   #6
bill777
Welcomed New User

Make sure you are using Microsoft Certified drivers. I couldn't get the game to go more than 15 minutes without a complete lock up when I first got the game. I switched from the nvidia detonator 3 driver (non MS certified) to the newest Viper 770 (I have a Diamond) and the game runs sweet. Still get a glitch every couple hours, but this really helped me.
Old 10-13-2000, 01:49 PM   #7
Aiden

I'm using a Creative annihilator pro. It's just that some other games needed the 6.18 drivers or they wouldn't run. Creative's are based on the 5.3 series. Oh well. I guess I can live with software renderer until either WW has a patch or Creative gets around to updating their driver. Thanks.

Old 10-13-2000, 08:47 PM   #8
AlexDok

Guys, I also had problems with this game. My system is: Athlon-T-bird 800/128 MB RAM/> 10 GB of free space/Win98SE(or WinME)/Asus 6600 Deluxe AGP 32 MB. Game just freezed every start. I resolved this problem only by disabling most of accelerating fuctions of my video (in System Properties/Advanced/Graphics/4 choices:NO-BASIC-NORMAL-FULL I put on BASIC) and run game in soft mode. So, honestly, it's better to use non-3D monsters, like M&M serie, than 3D, but no acceleration. Just my opinion. Good luck to all

Old 10-14-2000, 08:15 AM   #9
Deschutes

Guys, i have solved my lockup problems. The new Detonators are the big problem. Now i´ve installed the previous version (036 and the game runs great in 3d. No lockups and no scrambled letters. Now i enjoy this great old school rpg and hope that you guys can solve your probs. Please try it and post if it works....

CU

Deschutes

Old 10-15-2000, 07:22 PM   #10
Anshar

In general, all you NVIDIA owners out there...keep the latest TWO versions of their drivers. There have been many times where getting better performance in certain games, (or getting them to run for that matter) required switching between different versions.

The problem is, when they fix a problem in the driver, they sometimes break something else that used to work and never test it again because they don't realize it was broken, then it takes another version or two before everything is working all together again.

At one point 3Dfx actually had a version of their drivers JUST for Unreal Tournament, and another version for anything else you were playing...it's the price one must pay to have the coolest toys in their PC.