Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)

Old 07-08-2005, 10:05 PM   #1
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

How many of you have seen these movies? To me, they are like old classic games, I really loved them in their uniqueness. Just really "fun" movies to watch... The second Neverending Story was pretty lame though in comparison to the first one. Graphic lacking and they didn't stick with original looks with the doggie Dragon, blah...

And I so loved the Labyrinth with David Bowie. [img]smile.gif[/img] And that movie I actually did play as a game on a Commodore LOL, but dangit I never did finish it, I got stuck at the Goblin Castle, had the rock tossing thing down pat, but it didn't seem to do anything, I was never able to proceed. To this day, even though it's been like 10 years ago LOL, I still think about how I never finished that game LOL.

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 10:21 AM   #2
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
How many of you have seen these movies? To me, they are like old classic games, I really loved them in their uniqueness. Just really "fun" movies to watch... The second Neverending Story was pretty lame though in comparison to the first one. Graphic lacking and they didn't stick with original looks with the doggie Dragon, blah...

And I so loved the Labyrinth with David Bowie. [img]smile.gif[/img] And that movie I actually did play as a game on a Commodore LOL, but dangit I never did finish it, I got stuck at the Goblin Castle, had the rock tossing thing down pat, but it didn't seem to do anything, I was never able to proceed. To this day, even though it's been like 10 years ago LOL, I still think about how I never finished that game LOL.
<font color=plum>I agree, <font color=red>LadyZ</font>. Both of those movies were great, though I liked Neverending Story better. Even considered introducing the Luck Dragon to my PnP games. </font>
Old 07-09-2005, 10:24 AM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

<font color=skyblue>I have both of these on VHS and DVD. I have loved them from childhood, and they are part of my Larry's Classics Collection, along with Willow and the Dark Crystal...

Anyway, I had a dog that looked just like that dragon from movie 1 of Neverending Story. Her name was Dolly. Hey...if you think part 2 sucked, did you know there was a part 3? Don't even bother if you didn't! Hah!

Man...that wolf thing scared the crap outta me when I was little, but when I got bigger I had to laugh at how little the thing's body is. It is like a head of an enormous beast with a baby puppy's body or something.

And yes I cried when the horse drowned in the swamp of despair.

And yes, I had a crush on the girl in Labr. for a looong time.
</font>

[ 07-09-2005, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 07-09-2005, 12:14 PM   #4
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Oh, yes, the Neverending Story! Isn't the third one, Larry, where all the guys in the real world were turning evil or something because of his crazy amulet/pendant thing or something? It wasn't watchable, I remember that for sure. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 06:25 PM   #5
Ladyzekke

Oh I loved the Luck Dragon Cerek, although again he didn't look quite as cool in the 2nd one.

Larry, they made a 3rd really? Huh, I never heard about that one, I figured the 2nd one was so lacking they gave up after that. Oh and the horse in the Swamp of Despair is the hardest part to watch, I still cry when I see that part LOL. And I still cringe with grossoutness at the giant turtle sneezing part LOL.

Reality Show Recaps
Old 07-10-2005, 07:00 PM   #6
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Escape from Fantasia, 1994
Old 07-28-2005, 02:55 AM   #7
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
Along with the Dark Crystal, The Neverending Story would have to be one of my all time childhoood favourite 80's fantasy films. A friend of mine has recently given me a loan of the novel by Michael Ende, which I'm intending to start very soon. It will be interesting to read of the differences between the book and the film.

I have lots of fantastic memories from the film, just thinking about Giorgio Moroder's theme from when the Ivory Tower first appears brings shivers down my spine. [img]smile.gif[/img]

The second film whilst I felt was nowhere near as good as the original, was at least far better than the pitiful cash-grab that was the third film.
The concept of the "emptiness" draining memories and identity was at least interesting and had some merit, whereas the third film had this vile notion simply called "the nasty" which was just plain silly.
It features Jack Black from memory, which could be the only reason to give it a look other than mild curiousity! When I watched it, I was very angry and very nauseated - there's no Atreyu and the Luck Dragon, Falcor is cheaply malformed and satirised, acting almost drunk at times by running into things, slurring and being non-heroic etc. Twas very sad. But at least the original holds up so very well even today. It'd be one of the first films i'd show to my kiddies, for sure. (Not that I see that happening...hehe as a confirmed bachelor)

@ Lady Zekke
I actually still have my Commodore 64 with both Labyrinth on tape and a disk version of Ocean's graphical text adventure of the Neverending Story! I never finished Labyrinth either, (lol) but managed to use a walkthrough to complete the Neverending Story. Those were the days!
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 06:24 PM   #8
Ladyzekke

Wow CerebroDragon, you still have the Commodore 64 and the Labyrinth game? I know I probably still have my C64 somewhere, but it's been in a box for a looong time, and who knows where it's been stored over all the years and several movings LOL, and what condition it is in. I know though I don't have the Labyrinth game anymore though. I got stuck at the end part, when you finally reach the Goblin castle. And rocks are being tossed at you or something, and you have to figure out some puzzle to be able to get inside. I never figured out the puzzle [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img] If you ever do break out the ol' C64 again, you could play it and perhaps figure out what I did not, and then you could tell me how you did it, and take away one of those ARRRG! moments that has stuck with me for 10 years LOL. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Ugg, your description of The Neverending Story 3 sounds terrible, no way for sure now I'm going to seek it out! Sounds almost offensive LOL to those of us who really cherish the first one.

Reality Show Recaps
Old 07-28-2005, 10:58 PM   #9
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

I love both of these movies, but prefer Labyrinth.

I like Dark Crystal too, but hated that fantasy one with Tom Cruise (what was the name of it?).

Never played the games.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:41 AM   #10
Lucern
Quintesson

I liked both of those too, and I have seen the dreaded Neverending Story 3. Granted, the second Neverending story wasn't exactly in Oscar contention, but NS 3 is just confusing. I got it hoping it'd be something my friends could make fun of in a bad movie way, but we couldn't figure out if either:

1) It's genuinely the worst movie ever, even considering the overwhelming possibilities of all future movies, even considering the hypothetical threat of White Chicks 2 or the very real threat of another Rockey with Stalone (presumeably as Rockey).

2)The makers actually hated the original and wanted to destroy it.

I mean, I can understand not having the money to fully animate the dragon, or not being able to get the same voice, but why make him both mentally retarded and have a wavering southern-US accent?

And that queen, or whatever she was, floating in infinite time or whatever: she's utterly occupied with shopping. Was this an afterthought when they arranged to film at a mall?

Why does half the movie take place in a mall anyway? I guess it was cheap.

And a rock-biter baby singing Born to Be Wild riding a rock-motorcycle forced me to redefine my concept of crap.

On the plus side, you can see a younger Jack Black as a bulley lol.

In any case, it wasn't any fun to make fun of. It was just too bad for that. It wasn't even trying.
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote