Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 09-30-2002, 04:05 PM   #1
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I'm adventuring w/ Valygar in my party. I've finished every part of Chap 2 save for killing Kangaxx and have moved on the Chap 3. At this point, I have made my long-term party friends, having picked up and acquired others to do character-specific quests. SO, it seems I'm too high in level to change and I am settled on:

Jaheira (again - ugh!)
Viconia (girlfriend)
Nalia
Mazzy
Valygar
PC (Dual F/T)

I am beginning to see Valygar as my weak link. I can't seem to get his AC below -2, which is what he begins with, and that plus (I assume) poor saves are causing me problems. Viconia took one of her 2 rods of resurrection and wrote "For Valygar Only" on it just to spite me.

Those who have finished w/ Valygar - how'd you tool him up to make him suck a little less?
Old 09-30-2002, 05:43 PM   #2
Lord Lothar
Quintesson

Give him the Shadow Dragon Scale and some items like ring of earth control, cloak of the sewers. My Valygar lost his backstab somehow, so I made him dual-wield axes and bastard swords. He becomes better in TOB with the White dragon Scale armor.
Old 09-30-2002, 05:44 PM   #3
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

Shadow Dragon Scale Armor is a good set of armour. Ring of Earth Control has a hidden AC modifier. So does Cloak of the Sewers, Helm of Balduran or Vhailor's Helm. Valygar can backstab as far as I know. Celestial Fury is a good katana. Sentinel's Shield is a good shield, so is Shield of the Lost, Saving Grace, Shield of Harmony and Dragon Shield are good shields. The Night's Gift (You are probably using that one yourself) is also a good armor and boots sneaking skills. Gauntlets of Dexterity and Girdle of Hill Giant Strength will help him.
Old 09-30-2002, 05:48 PM   #4
Lord Lothar
Quintesson

Quote:
Ring of Earth Control has a hidden AC modifier
There's nothing hidden about it. It clearly states that it gives a +1 bonus to AC. If you have an UnBaldurdashed game, there is a hidden saving throw bonus.
Old 09-30-2002, 06:01 PM   #5
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Love the new sig Lothar. I'm wearing the Black Dragon armor. I hope I haven't dispensed with Night's Gift yet - where is that? Maybe I could use it and give him mine. I've tooled him up w/ Belt of Strength, or I will shortly enough (I've got Mazzy to tool up as well). Ring of Earth control has thus far been used to modify my PC's AC, along w/ cloak of sewers. I dualed at F10, so the PC is not so shabby. I guess my problem is I'm running several characters who all need tooling to get the best out of them. I'd not really given any thought to Valygar + shield. My AD&D 2E mentality keeps me stuck on 2 weapon. oh well, anything's worth a try.
Old 09-30-2002, 06:06 PM   #6
Lord Lothar
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Love the new sig Lothar. I'm wearing the Black Dragon armor. I hope I haven't dispensed with Night's Gift yet - where is that? Maybe I could use it and give him mine. I've tooled him up w/ Belt of Strength, or I will shortly enough (I've got Mazzy to tool up as well). Ring of Earth control has thus far been used to modify my PC's AC, along w/ cloak of sewers. I dualed at F10, so the PC is not so shabby. I guess my problem is I'm running several characters who all need tooling to get the best out of them. I'd not really given any thought to Valygar + shield. My AD&D 2E mentality keeps me stuck on 2 weapon. oh well, anything's worth a try.
Thank you! It's pretty cool.

The Nights Gift is given to you by the mayor in Umar Hills after solving the quest. You might give him D'akkon's Zerth Blade for extra AC.
Old 09-30-2002, 07:14 PM   #7
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Give him Celestial Fury + his Family Blade, Black Dragon Scale, Girdle of Giant Strength and he is wicked. Have him haste+hide+backstab+return to fight regular. He's not a front line fighter though, so you've got to use him specially.
Old 10-01-2002, 05:08 AM   #8
Tyrion
Quintesson

I use him for arching and backstabbing, and it seems to work!
Need a good bow for him though, he has the strong arm right now.
Old 10-01-2002, 06:04 PM   #9
Warby
Zhentarim Guard

I just had him duel-wield Celestial Fury and Daystar. Very effective.

Warby
Warby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 09:01 PM   #10
Wynne
Dungeon Master

Celestial Fury is a wonderful sword for Valygar.