Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-25-2001, 03:53 PM   #1
higgins55
Elite Waterdeep Guard

These have 2 B the hardest monster 2 kill. They kill all my party. The clock of relfection does nothing any advise. PLZ ppl I need it!
Old 11-25-2001, 04:48 PM   #2
Tom
Elminster

Tell me what consists of your party, and it would be easier to help you.
Old 11-25-2001, 04:51 PM   #3
Melusine
Dracolisk

Do a search on mindflayers in this forum and you'll get all the answers you need. But since I'm in an indulgent mood today I'll summarise it for you [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Summoning skeletons is very useful because even though they cannot really harm the mindflayers, they are immune to their psionic attacks (doh, they have no brains! ) so they serve as a nice barrier between your party and the illithid. You can summon skeletons with the 5th level Wizard spell Animate Dead or the 3rd level priest spell of the same name. The fifth level priest spell Chaotic Commands also protects you against most of the illithid's psionic attacks.
Don't use magic on them unless you cast Lower Resistance first, because they have high Magic Resistance.

If it still doesn't work, here's a good cheesy tactic only works when mindflaers are in closed room:
- make your mage (improved) invisible and non-detected, and equip him/her with a WAND of Cloudkill (so the wand, not the spell). Have the rest of your party stand well back, and have the mage open the door to the room where the illithid are. Cast Cloudkill in the middle of them and quickly close the door. Repeat until the mindflayers are sufficiently weakened, then send the whole party in to finish them off...
Old 11-25-2001, 05:02 PM   #4
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

Or do as Melusine said and have your invisible party member block the entrance. If they still are abble to get past that character, make another invisible and put that one alongside him. Give somebody else the boots of speed or drink a potion of speed and get the attention of the mindflayers. Let them follow you and run back till you end up behind your blockers. Let them have it with missile weapons. To throw some protection in, cast chaotic commands on one or two of your party members.
Old 11-25-2001, 05:06 PM   #5
Barb
Symbol of Cyric

lure them 1 at a time. Summon creatures to block doorways and then attack them from long range. Thats what works for me. Goodluck.
Old 11-25-2001, 06:23 PM   #6
Magness
Quintesson

higgins55 ... yes, mindflayers are very tough until you develop (or someone tells you) proper anti-mindflayer tactics.

There's no need to resort to cheese tactics against MF's. There's
a nice straightforward tactic that requires no cheese.

1. Cast Chaotic Commands on the 1 or 2 best tanks in your party. Drink either potion of genius or of Mind focusing. Both raise your INT, which is good against mindflayer INT drains.

2. If your mage(s) are of a high enough level, cast Animate Dead or, even better, Mordenkaiden's Sword. Both of these summon spells work because the summoned "creature" has no mind to be attacked by the MF's. Don't bother with elementals. They're so dumb that seem to die after a single hit from a MF.

Send your mindless creatures thru the door first to soak up the initial volley of MF mind attacks. Send your 1 or 2 protected tanks in right behind the mindless creatures. Concentrate your attacks on illithids and mindflayers. Ignore any umber hulks until all MF's are dead. Keep the remainder of your party back a safe distance for long range fire support with ranged weapons or magic.

If one of your characters begins taking INT drain damage, suck down another of those INT related potions to "heal" the INT damage. (The INT drain is temporary and will "heal" within a few rounds.)
Old 11-25-2001, 07:25 PM   #7
King Corben
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Another no frills solution:
'Chaotic Commands' (as per prior posts)+
'Protection from Magic Weapons' =
instant mind flayer immunity (also good against hulk buddies too)

powerful creatures that attack h2h, attack as "magical weapons" you may need a few of these spells since the duration is short.
These guys slaughtered my party before I got this. Happy Hunting!
Old 11-28-2001, 12:04 PM   #8
higgins55
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanxs all.
Great help. I have not tried it yet but is there a cloak or some thing to prevent the MF's brain wave things. They slay my who Party. All I have is a fighter a ranger and a mage/thief.
I cant get at potions cuz I am stuck in the under dark and well annoyed
Old 11-28-2001, 12:14 PM   #9
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Solutions

1) Set traps, lure Mind Flayers one by one to their doom. Out of traps? Rest and repeat the process.

2) If your Mage/Thief is level 15 in his Mage class, summon Skeleton Warriors and use them as front-line fodder. Cast Death Spell to instant-kill the Umber Hulks while your Fighter and Ranger attack from range.

May I ask why you do not have a Cleric in your party?
Old 11-28-2001, 12:17 PM   #10
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

High level bard song makes people immune to the psionic stun. Also anyone with a low enough save vs death should have no problems. I actually find the Umber Hulks harder now because they can actually hurt my characters. Mind Flayers are a bit useless once you remove the power of the psionic stun.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe