Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-17-2001, 10:15 AM   #1
MrO
Elite Waterdeep Guard

So there we are, in the elven city. We've summoned the avatar, we've entered the castle, we've found the tree of life, we've moved down to the tree's branches, and there we find Jon.

So of course we follow along, kill the parasites and then in the ensuing battle, Jon hands us our backsides back after kicking them clean off. So we try a new tactic. While he's just standing there sucking in energy from the tree of life, our party's thief (we're playing multiplayer and in our party with Minsc, Jah, and Arie, we've added a custom made Sorcerer and Fighter/ Thief) places traps all around Jon. We kill the last parasite, he goes red and BADDA BOOM! 150+ points of direct damage before any of his protections kick in.

I feel soooooo... cheap.

Mr. O

------------------
+ + + + + + + + + + + + +
Fav NPC: Minsc
Fav Character: Sorcerer
Old 10-17-2001, 10:21 AM   #2
Nifft the Nimble

Don't feel cheap, that's what traps are for! The game designers have been pretty careful to ensure that you can't use them in many situations, so when you can use them, enjoy!

(Think of Jon as a Solo'd Sorcerer... and he just blundered into what kills all too many solo'd non-thieves, a big pile of traps.)

-- Nifft
Old 10-17-2001, 10:28 AM   #3
Legolas the Elven Archer

Hiya Mr. O, and
Welcome to the board!

Don't worry about using cheesy tactics in that battle, as the tougher one is still ahead (but you knew that already I presume)

Thank you for sharing that with us, you're a great storyteller

Should you desire a completely official welcome, just visit General Discussions and create a topic called "ATTN Cloudy, new member". Brace for impact

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Old 10-17-2001, 10:38 AM   #4
Byronas

First of all WELCOME TO THE BOARD MrO!
Very good tactic killing Irenicus.
Can you do this in Hell?

------------------

Where there are monsters and barbarians there will be Byronas fighting against them.

Old 10-17-2001, 10:55 AM   #5
MrO
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well, we tried it in hell to much less success.... it seems that the "slayer" has more HP than good ole Jon, and the initial blast doesn't kill him outright. Once his protections kick in there's some serious down time before you can wound him as you have to rip off layer after layer of crap. We've also found a bug in the multiplayer where if you cast a time stop while in a time stop, your computer crashes into the timestop screen. So we've been leary to use it too much ourselves as it seems that the computer gets confused as to who has stopped time and who hasn't. But when you've got a sorcerer who can cast it 3 times a day... oh baby!

We're going to try agian tonight probably, so I thought we'd try to knock out some of teh demon support with the traps, and let the mages focus on bringing down the Slayer's resistances.

Also found the Similcrum spell very very useful in getting a little extra bang for the buck.

Mr. O

------------------
+ + + + + + + + + + + + +
Fav NPC: Minsc
Fav Character: Sorcerer
Old 10-17-2001, 11:25 AM   #6
Debaser

welcome to the board.

that's a nice little strategy, and one that i'm sure i'll try out myself once i reach that point in the game again.

wouldn't it be grand, though, if you still had yoshimo at that point? you could then surround irenicus with a multitude of traps that would either hold him or maze him.......the maze might have not been as beneficial, but he would be bound to fail a save against a number of hold traps. ah, the wonderful possibilities that will never come to fruition!