Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 08-31-2001, 08:17 AM   #1
Haddar - Servant of Talos
The Magister

Ahh!! I have started a new BG2 game as a Jester and was planning to take him through solo. So I fugured, "Hmmm the Cloak of Non-detection will be real handy. Then I can cast Invisibilty on myself and start singing, Yay!!" Now, the damn Cloak doesn't seem to work!! I cast Invisibity, Improved Invisibility use the Ring of Invisibility. Doesn't matter... each time someone casts True Sight I become visible. It is sooooo annoying, and really devastates the tactics I am using. This ability to confuse enemies is quite a benefit to the jester, so not being able to utilize it efficiently makes the game so much harder. Can somebody please help me with this!! Is there some patch which fixes this? I have installed the latest ToB patch from Bioware.
Old 08-31-2001, 09:27 AM   #2
tusitha

Hmm... just a thought.

Isn't True Sight used to see thru all forms of invisibility? I'm not sure about this, but as far as I know any spell that affect the visual appearance of the caster is vulnerable to this spell. But like I said I could be wrong.

I know this is probably not very helpful... maybe someone has a better idea.

Old 08-31-2001, 09:47 AM   #3
dimon37
Zhentarim Guard

true sight will dispel any unfriendly illusion within radius, non-detection will not help.
Old 08-31-2001, 10:36 AM   #4
Vampire

True Sight RULES!
Non-Detection will only help from Detct Inv...and the other spells no one ever uses in BG2
Old 09-01-2001, 02:26 AM   #5
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

forgive the incorrect information supplied by my comrades.

non-detection DOES work against true sight, otherwise my character would have died a thousand times over (a fighter/thief who likes to backstab mages right after my mage has breached them). non-detection is the only thing that allows a hidden/invisible character to stay out of sight whether it's detect illusion, true sight, or whatever. you are aware that some creatures like demons and liches can see a character no matter what.

regarding invisibility: practically anything other than movement cancels the hidden state, which would include playing a bard song (and how realistic is it that you're completely hidden but strumming an instrument...). non-detection from the cloak is not dispellable either, though if you're not invisible or hidden isn't much of a help.

Old 09-01-2001, 05:15 AM   #6
Vampire

Really.
Well I'm not a subversive fighter so I may be wrong.
Can someone confirm that Non-Detection Overrules even True Sight?
Sorry if I was wrong as I was told by many others when I asked the same question weeks back on the ToB Forum.

------------------
Old 09-01-2001, 07:13 AM   #7
Legolas the Elven Archer

Yes, non-detection overrules True Sight. Non-detection makes the character undetectable by all divination spells except know alignment.

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Old 09-01-2001, 10:56 AM   #8
Desuma_Malevois

I've read elsewhere that the cloak only works in conjunction with the "hide in shadows" skill (some kind of bug), and I believe that this is true. I had Yoshi wearing it yesterday and a certain mage down in the sewers couldn't detect him with True Sight, although in a previous game I had an invisible bard wearing it and the same mage could.

Haddar, you basically have to be careful with spellcasters when you use that strategy with jesters - if you see them begin to cast a spell with no one else around then you have to try to run outside of its range before the spell is completed. Boots of speed are nice here.