Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-06-2004, 03:48 PM   #1
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

Or rather, piercings and tattoos. Lately I've met a lot of people with very conflicting views on this topic. So I'm curious, dear Ironworkers:

Have you got any? Where are they and what are they exactly?

If you dont have any, why not? What are your views on them in general?
Old 05-06-2004, 04:09 PM   #2
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Nope I am a purist. I don't believe in tattoos, piercing, or plastic surgery (except fixing severe scars or burns).

Don't mind that others do so however.

[ 05-06-2004, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
Old 05-06-2004, 04:13 PM   #3
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
A rose on my upper right arm, a pretty big one too. It was because of a bet when i was 15. Me and my friends were windowshopping in front of a tattooshop, and i'm not sure what exactly was being said anymore, but from one moment to another we were arguing with eachother about who'd have the guts to get a tattoo. I said i'd take one, they said i wouldn't dare, etc.... In the end i said if they'd pay for one, i'd get it right away. So the deal was made. I didn't know what the hell to choose, and in the end i picked that gigantic lame flower.

Mind you, i was living with my grandparents, and i didn't know how they would react, so i didn't want to push it too far by taking some kind of aggressive dragon or something.

And so i went home with a bandaid on my arm. Much to my surprise my grandpa liked it. He said he always wanted tattoos when he was younger, but my grandma wouldn't let him. I remember thinking "oops".

When my grandma saw it, she got mad, but didn't say too much about it either, so i got a little more gutsy, and told her i was thinking of having my other arm tattood next week, to which she replied that she would carve it out with a knife herself if i had the nerves to show up with a second one. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] And so i didn't bother any further.

Now i don't care for tattoos anymore, and i'm glad my granny reacted like that back then, otherwise i might have been a walking painting by now.

[ 05-06-2004, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: johnny ]
Old 05-06-2004, 04:16 PM   #4
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

I don`t have any. I`m afraid of it. I can`t imagine for example piercing my eyebrow or something. Here are some links wich show negative side of piercing.

http://www.daslingdentistry.com/Tongue%20Piercing.htm

http://www.painfulpleasures.com/piercings_gone_bad.htm

http://www.molokosynthemesc.com/risk...chone=Mastitis
Old 05-06-2004, 04:27 PM   #5
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

I have also heard that Tongue piercing increases your chances of cavities. I think I saw it at during a checkup at the dentist.

[ 05-06-2004, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
Old 05-06-2004, 04:33 PM   #6
Melusine
Dracolisk

Well, the peircing can chip bits off your teeth but only if it's placed to the front of your tongue. Otherwise it's OK.
I used to have my nose pierced but I took it out some years ago. That's the good thing about most piercings - they're not forever. I'd never take a tattoo, I hardly ever like them, especially not on women, and it's just waaay too permanent for me. Occasionally I do like piercings, and even think about what it'd be like to take one again (tongue piercing most likely) but at the same time there's something slightly revolting about them so I don't think I'd do it. Don't regret getting the first one though. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-06-2004, 04:36 PM   #7
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

Cool story, Johnny. It's funny how life goes like that.

Pritchke, I don't blame you. It's just a case of preferences, I suppose.

And Xen, yuck. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-06-2004, 04:36 PM   #8
Melusine
Dracolisk

Oh and as for my general opinion: I think everybody should do as they like with regard to body manipulation but there are some things I find sick or disgusting, like scarification, implants and genital piercings. Uck. [img]graemlins/idontagreeatall.gif[/img] I still think people should treat their body the way they want, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. It would sure change my mind about a prospective boyfriend, for instance, if I found out he had extreme body modifications.
Old 05-06-2004, 04:38 PM   #9
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I'll be getting a tattoo when I graduate University. I think tattoos are fine, but only to mark various stages of your life/achievements you've made. The images need to represent something personal though. I can't just get a tat because it looks 'cool'.

Piercings I can't personally justify any need for.
Old 05-06-2004, 04:54 PM   #10
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
I'll be getting a tattoo when I graduate University. I think tattoos are fine, but only to mark various stages of your life/achievements you've made. The images need to represent something personal though. I can't just get a tat because it looks 'cool'.

Piercings I can't personally justify any need for.
Most things are unnecessary though. [img]smile.gif[/img]
And I think there's nothing wrong with getting a tattoo purely for aesthetic reasons.