Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 02-02-2001, 05:09 PM   #31
Patriarch
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well seeing as how Katana and Wakizashi are supposed to be used together (this was how Samurais wielded them??) You could make a pair of swords that were amazing when wielded together...
However on second thought this would be amazingly specific i.e the character using these would have to be proficient in Katanas, Wakizashi/Ninja-to and two weapong style...
Just a thought tho
Old 02-02-2001, 08:19 PM   #32
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Scorpio, Maharet is from the Anne Rice book. I thought of making a katana called Maharet and a Wakizashi called Mekare. Both would've been vampiric blades. That way I'd get over the problem of making one or the other too powerful.

Let me think about this some more.
Old 02-02-2001, 10:45 PM   #33
G.W.

How about making Moonblades for different mages in the game usable only for that character????

Like Aerie will get Aerie's moonblade of protection, which will give her both extra priest and mage spells and add AC or resistances (as she is not a fighter); Nalia's moonblade of the heart, which might add +3 strength, and give her daily Tenser's Transformation, since she is fairly strong; Imoen's moonblade of the night, which provides +60 stealth to make her the thief she could've been; Xan's moonblade, sets dexterity to 18, gives negative planes protection (the thing that he can't get from the amulet of power). Then a PC moonblade as well....

Old 02-03-2001, 12:15 AM   #34
Turin_Mormegil

Hmmm the 2 weapons might be an overkill....Jaize is fine i think but the other one is too powerfull

What i found that there arent any good spears or axes...sure you got spear of whilting and the combo of frostweaver and stonefire that i personally use on korgan but you need a +5 or atleast +4 axe and some with spear...i like your mage weapon man cuz when i play mage i find that i can cast stoneskin protection from magical weapons etc etc that makes me totally immune to physical and magic damage for like 60 secs almost and then i got nothing to infilct damage with cuz a good weapon on a good char can do around 10x the damage to one target then spells. Even when you get high level spells like horrid whilting it just doesnt measure up to a buffed paladin with Carsomyr. Also you cant go everboard with mage weapons cuz that would unbalance the classes.

Sorry if i sound bitchy man...just failed math and im not too happy great work on the add on man its kool..keep it up

Old 02-03-2001, 12:24 AM   #35
Armisael

More like Nalia's Moonblade of Whinging. Automatically casts emotion: hopelessness on whoever it strikes. Besides, moonblades are elven weapons of legend, not toys for any mage that happens to want one.

Old 02-03-2001, 03:05 AM   #36
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Armisael, you took the words right out of my mouth. moonblades can only be drawn by elves (or half-elves) who are worthy. Nalia's cursed moonblade of whinging sounds good though!
Old 02-03-2001, 03:56 AM   #37
G.W.

Was Xan a half elf though? I thought he was human (like nearly everyone in BG I). Assuming you can design an add-on that responds different depending on who is in the party, there could be a quest to obtain a Moonblade (i.e., rescue the wizards).

Old 02-03-2001, 04:03 AM   #38
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Xan was an elf from Evereska, the brother or that elf guy in Icewind Dale.
Old 02-03-2001, 04:06 AM   #39
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Armisael!
hehe that was a good one!

Well, these discussions around weapons are hard, how to balance, not to powerful not to weak etc..
A way to make a powerful weapon less powerful is to make some considered drawbacks with it, like that demonsword i mentioned earlier in this thread, it´s good, maybe to good but in that campaign they needed it and well some problems were found when the thief suddenly raged and almost killed the cleric in the party.. Such things make it more doubleedged and thus can add some spice into usoing it. Like the Vorpal Blade, you are not alone in wanting it, a powerful enemy wants it to and will make attempts to take it back.
A new campaign I been sketching on will in fact be about one sword and one specific character who more or less will be partly under the control of the sword, he will be mighty but will also be put into some dilemmas. Classic little things...

Well I for one thinks that if a mage wants to wield a 2h sword, let him.
Elves have the ability to gain +1 to hit with longswords and shortswords as well as with all bows except x.bows. Then why would an elven mage suddenly decide to go with a club and darts instead? The staff is a recenable choice, cheap always available and good for so much more than just fighting.

And by the way, noticed someonementioning the Katana and Wakizachi thing, they were never duel wielded. The katana was the samurais soul and fighting sword, most techniques (ye ye spelling) are based on a single weapon consisting on mostly twohanded wielding and some performed with one hand. it is not a small light sword might I tell you. The Wakizashi were the honour sword, for seppuku and for emergencies and for some ceremonies.
If to fight with two weapons they used two Katanas and few did.

I also saw a thread about someone who questioned the right about a katana doing a D10 in damage, well the Katanas are great weapons and are sharper than most weapons of their time. A fantastic craftmanship.
Old 02-03-2001, 08:32 AM   #40
Zoratorak
Welcomed New User

hmm.. a halbred weapon would be nice right?? or a dagger?? i only saw one ... the wave thingie ... but i didnt think it was even nice...

could you create new weapons?? like ninja stars or numjuks or a fighter staff but something else?? ... how bout a pole??