Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2001, 04:16 PM   #21
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Well there is a warning at the top that this is GENERAL conversation. Where the hell is Memnoch? I suppose it's only 8:14am. I'll talk more by mail Moiraine, got to duck out for a while.
Old 01-30-2001, 12:19 AM   #22
Charlie
Lord Ao

Hi Fighter Thief.

Regarding history and the Roman Empire etc.

Just today I was watching a documentary on a Roman burial that took place nearly two thousand years ago in the heart of London.
A stone sarcophogous has recently been unearthed and within that was a lead coffin covered with ornate caligraphy and artwork consisting of ropes, vines and leaves...staggering to look at by itself. Within the coffin was the body of a tall woman, her robes (remnants) were of Syrian origin with 0.1mm gold strands woven into rope formation and then interwoven into the fabric, she must have looked awesome walking the streets of London in this shimmering robe. Also inside were beautiful jet hair ornaments, tons of bay leaves and the most exquisitely fashioned glassware, the likes of which have not been found before.

After the whole thing had been placed into the Museum of London, (as yet untouched) and after the most delicate archaeologial operations had been carried out, mirrors, cameras etc were installed so that the public could watch the final parts of the research work. The whole affair was far more intricate and involved than I can convey here. The glass was replicated by a skilled English craftsman who failed to (although unpracticed) match the originals, even the womans face was reconstructed via modelling clay etc.

I don't know really why I'm telling you this other than the fact that I still (some hours later) feel so humbled and immensely priviledged to have been witness to this. It's not that a country does not have a history, it's just that we don't always know about it. Most land masses have been inhabited since the year dot I should imagine, yours included. Australia is a perfect example. It's history is in modern terms relatively new, yet we know that the aboriginal peoples are ancient. We can only assume that things have remained unchanged for them. Australian and American people do have a history as old as anyone elses, I guess that maybe it's no good trying to tie it up with a newly (in relative terms) colonised country. Maybe a countries history needs to be viewed slightly askew from a peoples history.

Anyway, I'll stop waffling on and send my best wishes to you.
Old 01-30-2001, 12:21 AM   #23
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Fighter-Thief - I'll bounce you back to the top! I know the feeling about seeing your threads fall. Sometimes I feel like re-naming myself ThreadKiller. I log off and go to bed, get up the next day and check out my conversations I was having, and lo and behold there are no more replies and the post is on page 2 never to be visited again! Don't worry though, Moiraine is always good at replying so I didn't kill this particular thread (yet)!
Old 01-30-2001, 12:32 AM   #24
Moiraine
Anubis

Please hold the line !

I still will answer later : I am currently camping at my husband Luc's office, I have borrowed a laptop computer which is currently on my lap, and I hate those (no real mouse, ...), so I don't feel like talking too much just now !
But I did not forget, don't worry !
Old 01-30-2001, 12:43 AM   #25
fighter-thief

i will try but i .. dont ..think i can ..hold it much ..longer [ha ha]all kidding aside i do have to wait till tomarrow though i have to go home im at work right now mon aimee[i no its spelled wrong but i heard its nice to attempt to use your native language as a curtise
please dont get upset if it offends you

Old 01-30-2001, 12:58 AM   #26
Moiraine
Anubis

No offense taken (LOL),

but you would only said "mon aimée" to a woman you looooove ...
Old 01-30-2001, 07:01 AM   #27
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Hi Yorick, everyone, just got back from Uluru, it was hot (35 degrees) but not as hot as Sydney. Went to Kata Djuta (the Olgas) for a long Valley of the Winds walk. Then circled the base of Uluru (Ayers Rock) and did the climb. We weren't sure if we were going to do the climb, not because it's a bloody hard climb, but because the Aboriginal people don't like people climbing it as it's a sacred place. Apparently what they don't like is that people aren't careful and there have been 38 deaths since 1985. In the end we did it, we did consult the traditional owners. it took about 1 1/2 hours, it was a major workout. For half of the way (it's 300m high) you're climbing up a 50 degree incline, then you go over all these really narrow ridges and valleys with the wind roaring in your ears. It was good to finally get up there, though. Then on Sat evening we had the Sounds of Silence candlelight dinner out in the bush, a transcendental experience. Emu sausage, kangaroo risotto, crocodile, witchetty grubs!! Around 10 pm they blew out the candles and we had an astronomy lesson, the night sky is SO CLEAR out there. You could see all the constellations, Aries, Orion, Canopus and Archeano (or whatever). Found out how to find due south if i ever get lost in the desert. Saw Saturn and Jupiter, saw Saturn's RINGS!!!! through a telescope, and saw four of Jupiter's moons. Saw Venus. Then back at work today
Old 01-30-2001, 07:34 AM   #28
Moiraine
Anubis

Hi Memnoch,

so wonderful is this board ! Having a look at the world without leaving one's chair !
Old 01-30-2001, 07:38 AM   #29
fighter-thief

i envey you people who live in places outside the US i would love to live in europe just for the chance to see castle and history of the land or the land formations you people are lucky

Old 01-30-2001, 07:51 AM   #30
Moiraine
Anubis

Hi Fighter-Thief,

You know, grass seems always greener behind the fence than in one's own field !

We European can also be seen as a bunch of old-fashioned people living in tiny overcrowded countries, tied by a lot of obsolete habits, and unable to put out of their minds that they are no longer the conter of the world. We envy you US and Aussie people the wonderful extent of possibilities that having had a fresh start in a new country has given you !