Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2005, 10:37 PM   #1
Nerull
Lord Ao

I am considering trying out a Tauren Hunter, but I am having a question about ranged weapons. I am playing a warrior, and he uses a gun for pulling. He usually only gets one shot before engaging in melee. I just liked the idea of using a gun with the guy, so I went with it. I have never used a bow, crossbow, or thrown weapon. My other characters are both casters (i.e. wands only), so no experience with ranged weapons from there. My question is this: what are the fundamental differences between guns, bows, and crossbows? Do guns shoot slower but more powerful than bows or crossbows? And how do each affect a hunter's abilities, if at all? I am really debating between guns (and going Engineering/Mining) and bows (and going Leatherworking (Dragonscale specialty)/Skinning), so this is a big decision for my character. I could try each of them with my warrior, but I just thought I would ask anyone out there that played a hunter.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 11:51 PM   #2
SecretMaster
Apophis

Hmm, I can't really help you with the bow/gun issue. However, I will recommend going Dragonscale leatherworking. The resources are really hard to get, but you really get some nice pieces when you are finally able to craft them.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 04:21 AM   #3
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Anything that isn't a hunter has a recharge on their ranged weapons. With my rogue my bow has to recharge before I can use it again and by then the mob is upon me. Hunters get a perk called 'auto shot' which lets them release at least 3 shots before engaging into melee. You don't even have to keep clicking, it just shoots like you would swing a weapon on auto with a warrior. With stunning shots that slow enemies and a pet to taunt them, you basically can be range-happy most of the time.

It is a really fun class to play as they are the masters of range. There is a huge difference between the speed at which a hunter shoots a ranged weapon compared to any other class. Give it a try for sure!
Old 04-28-2005, 02:26 PM   #4
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

You can make guns and ammo for guns with enginering.

At higher level you can trade the best enginering ammo for the best arrows.

My NE Hunter use Bows, but my Dwarven one used Guns.

There is not much difference, except that if you are an enginer you''ll save some ammo cash.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:31 PM   #5
Lucern
Quintesson

Guns tend to be slower than bows, but I've found some guns that can hold their own, including the Double-barrelled shotgun, and the Chesterfall Musket - both 'blue' weapons I found 2 each of in Ashenvale.

The DPS should work out to be roughly even, when the speed of bows is considered with the damage of guns.

You won't have to specialize I don't think. Take whichever you find that gives you the highest DPS, though also consider that higher rates of fire = more critical strikes.

Don't even consider throwing weapons, as you won't find any special ones, and crossbows...who knows. They're so rare, I see one about once every 3 weeks, and it's always been rather average.

You may think twice before taking the advice of a hunter who made it to 30 and stopped playing him, but I'd advise putting everything you've got in ranged combat (talents), you compete with mages and rogues for DPS in groups. I just got tired of being artillery.
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 07:34 PM   #6
Nerull
Lord Ao

I have 2 caster characters, so I'm used to hanging back and being artillery. [img]smile.gif[/img]

So really it doesn't matter between bows and guns for the most part. I might just train up in both and go Dragonscale leatherworking. That way whichever I find that's better between a bow and a gun I use, and my professions will not matter as far as which weapon I use.

I was already going to spec in marksmanship. It just appealed to me more than the other choices, and I've heard since that it is a very powerful choice (not my first consideration, but a really nice plus).

It will probably be a while before I start this guy (want to finish the semester first), but I'll let all of you know how things go. Thanks for your help!
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote