Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-18-2005, 09:16 AM   #1
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Dont think this has been posted before, but here it is!!!
Yup, you guessed it, you can use Gmail as a storage medium
Head over here (A site a Megagames with an explanation and download)
Quote:
Description
GMail Drive is a Shell Namespace Extension that creates a virtual filesystem around your Google GMail account, allowing you to use GMail as a storage medium.

GMail Drive creates a virtual filesystem on top of your Google GMail account and enables you to save and retrieve files stored on your GMail account directly from inside Windows Explorer. GMail Drive literally adds a new drive to your computer under the My Computer folder, where you can create new folders, copy and drag'n'drop files to.

Ever since Google started to offer users a GMail e-mail account, which includes storage space of a 1000 megabytes, you have had plenty of storage space but not a lot to fill it up with. With GMail Drive you can easily copy files to your GMail account and retrieve them again.
When you create a new file using GMail Drive, it generates an e-mail and posts it to your account. The e-mail appears in your normal Inbox folder, and the file is attached as an e-mail attachment. GMail Drive periodically checks your mail account (using the GMail search function) to see if new files have arrived and to rebuild the directory structures. But basically GMail Drive acts as any other hard-drive installed on your computer.
You can copy files to and from the GMail Drive folder simply by using drag'n'drop like you're used to with the normal Explorer folders.

Because the GMail files will clutter up your Inbox folder, you may wish to create a filter in GMail to automatically move the files (prefixed with the GMAILFS letters in the subject) to your archived mail folder.

Please note that GMail Drive is still an experimental tool. There's still a number of limitations of the file-system (such as total filename size must be less than 40 characters). Since the tool hooks up with the free GMail Service provided by Google, changes in the GMail system may break the tools ability to function. I cannot guarantee that files stored in this manner will be accessible in the future.

14 Jan. update: While Google keeps improving their GMail service, they also tend to break the tool's ability to connect to GMail. Version 1.0.5 was released to overcome the latest changes. Please be aware that support for this tool may suspend at any time if Google decides to block its use.
I havn't used it yet, but im definantly going to.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:37 AM   #2
Spirits forever

yeah, i should get it , it'd be very very handy indeed, i saw this once already before but got lazy to use it actaully. oh well ^^;

Old 01-18-2005, 11:43 AM   #3
Jorath Calar
Harper

Installed it, and it works pretty well... usefull if you have files you want to access away from home...
Old 01-18-2005, 01:08 PM   #4
Blunderbuss
Zhentarim Guard

Installed it and it works fine. Doubt I'll ever need it, but I can show it off at least. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-18-2005, 06:29 PM   #5
LennonCook
Jack Burton

From what I remember, there was an article about this somewhere a few months ago, which mentioned that Google were cracking down on it.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:34 PM   #6
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I bet they are, they don't want their email to become a file distribution system...

This use up a lot more bandwith, even if you'Re th eonly one downloading/uploading them.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:28 PM   #7
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

People are dumb. As soon as a generous new service comes along, they start abusing it and before you know it, it'll be restricted or not free any more. People never know what they've got until it's gone.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 01-20-2005, 02:58 PM   #8
Spirits forever

went, and got it and used it once,....really is a waste of time...very very crappy...not helpful, it's faster if you log on and attach the file youreself...really sad XD
really not helful

[ 01-20-2005, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: Spirits forever ]