Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2003, 09:40 AM   #1
cloud ff7 38
User suspended until [Nov26]

Question Mark

I was reading a magazine from columbia house ya know those people who say buy 1 dvd now recieve 29 free in a year...after you buy fifty in the next two days. Well anyway i was looking at the monthy python ad and it said the word spam was used in a skit and now its used for junk e-mail. Is this a lie or actully true?
Old 09-27-2003, 10:56 AM   #2
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by cloud ff7 38:
I was reading a magazine from columbia house ya know those people who say buy 1 dvd now recieve 29 free in a year...after you buy fifty in the next two days. Well anyway i was looking at the monthy python ad and it said the word spam was used in a skit and now its used for junk e-mail. Is this a lie or actully true?
[img]graemlins/spam2.gif[/img] is now the "hot phrase" being used to describe unsolicited email. So this is true. It has become quite the focus here in the U.S., right up there with the telemarketers.

[ 09-27-2003, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: Nerull ]
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 09-27-2003, 11:09 AM   #3
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Nerull:
quote:
[img]graemlins/spam2.gif[/img] is now the "hot phrase" being used to describe unsolicited email. So this is true. It has become quite the focus here in the U.S., right up there with the telemarketers. [/QUOTE]
Not just USA I might add, the rest of the world as well. Here in holland yo can put a big NO-NO sticker on your door that says that you do NOT want unadressed mail, but they through it in your mailbox all the same, probably on order from there distributer ...
Old 09-27-2003, 07:41 PM   #4
shadowhound
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
I was looking at the monthy python ad and it said the word spam was used in a skit and now its used for junk e-mail.
Oh that brings back good memories, that was one of my fave Monty Pythin skits.
All I have now is the image of a large group of vikings chanting "Spam, spam, spam, spammity spam, spam..." etc.
Old 09-28-2003, 03:31 PM   #5
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by shadowhound:
quote:
I was looking at the monthy python ad and it said the word spam was used in a skit and now its used for junk e-mail.
Oh that brings back good memories, that was one of my fave Monty Pythin skits.
All I have now is the image of a large group of vikings chanting "Spam, spam, spam, spammity spam, spam..." etc.
[/QUOTE]Vikings? In Australia?! weird...

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Old 09-29-2003, 09:42 AM   #6
cloud ff7 38
User suspended until [Nov26]

i get tons of spam its such a big problem in the usa...
Old 09-29-2003, 11:34 AM   #7
InsaneBane
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
i get tons of spam its such a big problem in the usa...
Well the internet IS an international thing. I and many of my Danish friends have international email addresses too (ie. someone@somewhere.com). We receive rarely SPAM mails. Some of the main reasons for getting lots of SPAM mails are:
[*] You have answered to a SPAM mail. Ex: You send a mail to tell the sender NOT to send more of those emails
[*] You use your Out-of-Office assistant to reply to emails from ALL senders (also SPAM mails)
[*] You have put your email address on one or more homepages as someone@somewhere.com, there are SPAM bots searching for the '@' code.
[*] You enter your email address on 'sign up here for free junk' homepages
[*] You have had a virus/trojan on your machine

Have at least 2 email addresses: 1 for real and 1 for SPAM. The real ones you use for work, mailing your friends etc. The other SPAM accounts, you can use when you are not sure, if you are put on someones SPAM list.

Your real accounts you can check for new mails as often as you like. The others you can check once in a while and throw away all the mails, because you know nothing is of importance.

[img]graemlins/greenbounce.gif[/img]
Insane
Old 09-29-2003, 01:18 PM   #8
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

Unfortunately many of the ones I get are from none of those. Instead they're from scripts that people have that send to any possibility of blahblahblah at .rr.com (I'm not putting my city in there, just in case), so, even when I changed to another addy that I gave to no one (as an experiment), I still got a crap load of spam
Old 09-29-2003, 10:09 PM   #9
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by harleyquinn:
Unfortunately many of the ones I get are from none of those. Instead they're from scripts that people have that send to any possibility of blahblahblah at .rr.com (I'm not putting my city in there, just in case), so, even when I changed to another addy that I gave to no one (as an experiment), I still got a crap load of spam
I get anywhere from 3-5 spams a day (made the mistake of accidentally opening one, so I get 2-3 each day from the same people). I just set my filter at hotmail to the highest level, and away they go to the junk mail folder. I just look in there every few days to see if anything went in there that was legit (only happened once). Then I just hit empty folder, and watch them all get flushed away.

Always, always make sure you have a good filter, then set the filter to max level. The exception being if you get a ton of emails from different sources in that one email address (i.e. you use it for business purposes), and even then if you know you get a bunch from only a few clients, you can always set the filter high and just set those clients as "protected" so they don't end up in the junk mail folder.

I hate spam. The genie is out of the bottle on it, and politicians are trying to clean up after the fact (kind of like the RIAA...). Still it is an incredible invasion, much like excessive junk mail.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 09-30-2003, 07:47 AM   #10
dplax
Jack Burton

on my old e-mail address i got around 20 spam mails every day, and if i could'nt use it for a longer period of time the account limit usually got full, and sometimes important mail got lost