Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2008, 10:00 PM   #1
Elviessa
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Default crab shells?

Is there any other way to get the breathing gear besides crab shells? Also do you need 3 for each char?
Elviessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:31 PM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Default Re: crab shells?

Buckley's got a couple for sale when you first go in there, but the only way to get more is to bring him back some shells. For every three shells you bring back, he'll make some breathers and helms. I *think* it's one of one and two of the other, but I don't remember which is which... or if they change from one set of shells to the next.

I know I've been frustrated with trying to find shells, finding and killing crabs only to find no shell. One of the things you can do is to try to steal the shell first. That way, you get multiple chances to get the shell, whereas with killing the crab, you only get one. My thief (or thief-derivative) is always trying to steal, and never attacking.

Having said that, I'll bet Shadow Stranger shows up with notes about how to hack some shells into your game He's a clever one, he is...

You *might* also be able to exploit the dropped item bug. If you drop items in a shop, you can buy them back... with multiple copies, even. Somewhere in Best Tips... right around here... is an explanation of it. It works... although I haven't tried it on a quest iitem.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:11 AM   #3
Shadow Stranger

Underwater Helms are wonderful. Underwater Breathers do absolutely nothing, certainly not when I tested them in my version of the game.

See the post http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/...t=31591&page=3
you are looking for the Giant Conch Shell.

My perception is that having a Rattkin lead the party gave me a really good break in the matter of looking for the shells. I don't know if this correct or not.

Edit: to see how the editing is done here, also view
http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=98389

Last edited by Shadow Stranger; 04-04-2008 at 01:15 AM.
Shadow Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:20 AM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

They should each increase your lung capacity a bit... IOW, you shouldn't run out of air underwater as quick. They're incremental... each one adds a bit more time. I'm pretty sure I've seen results from one or the other... for a quick check, you could equip one party member with both, one with a breather, one with a helmet, and one with nothing, go underwater, and see who dies first
-+-+-+
Old 04-04-2008, 12:23 PM   #5
Law
Dungeon Master

In my testing the helmet by itself helped (gave a character more time underwater) and adding the Underwater Breather helped a little more. The Underwater Breather did nothing by itself, you needed the helmet as well.

The characters Athletic skill also allows them to hold their breath longer so in testing make sure that all the characters have the same Athletic skill or your results will be skewed.

Buckley's shop starts will one helmet and no breather. For each 3 shells a helmet and breather pair appear in the store.

If I am hunting shells I swim around underwater with a character that has a good Scout skill and have Spirit Eye cast so I know when crabs have been spawned and where they are it I can't see them directly.

Also be aware the the Breath of Life (Vine Spell) combined with Restore Health (Spirit spell) can be used instead of helmets and breathers.
Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:41 PM   #6
Shadow Stranger

My test was simple: equip one PC with the Helmet only, then equip him with the Breather only. This avoided problems with me not knowing which variables are used by the game.

As a timer to measure the rate of drowning, I used another PC: how much water was on the face of the first PC when the second PC was about to start drowning? The first PC is the one testing the underwater gear.
Shadow Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:29 PM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I'm sure this is obvious and doesn't need to be stated, but all victims test subjects should either have or not have the Iron Lung trait...
-+-+-+
Old 04-06-2008, 02:49 PM   #8
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

Bit late to help, I know, but B's mention of Iron Lung is worth noting.

Just finished Collassium with my solo Bard (surprisingly easy, once you learn Invisible & Backstab), and wore neither shell nor mask. Athletics Lvl 6 + Iron Lung, and there weren't even any close spots where he was looking for an air pocket.
aleph_null1 is offline   Reply With Quote