Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2007, 04:26 PM   #1
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Tongue Out Those damn Brits..

Are the Brits truly loathed by all, or are The Frogs behind this? Speak up, speak up. I, for one, have always hated Fish n' Chips.

Brits less popular after Europeans get to know them

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - A poll of Europeans showed people of different nationalities liked each other more after getting to know each other, except in the case of the British -- who became less popular.

A project organized by the Notre Europe think tank brought together 362 citizens from 27 EU states for two days of deliberations in Brussels last weekend.

They were asked their views on a range of issues before and after the event, including how much they liked or disliked German, French, Polish, Italian, British and Spanish people.

The Spaniards were most popular with 78.6 percent approval at the end of the weekend. The Poles the least with 67 percent.

But all nationalities gained in popularity, bar the British who went from a 70.3 percent approval rating at the start of the weekend to 68.1 percent by the end.

Professor James Fishkin of Stanford University in the United States, who developed the polling technique used, urged some caution about the findings.

"I would be careful about drawing too much inference about people disliking the British -- it's small and not significant, but you know, it is what it is, and it did happen that way."

Fishkin said he did not think France's defeat by England in the rugby World Cup semi-final in between the two polls had had an influence, even though the number of French participants in the survey was disproportionately high.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071019/...opularity_dc_1

Last edited by Dreamer128; 10-24-2007 at 03:01 PM.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:51 PM   #2
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

Default Re: Those damns Brits..

If you hate fish and chips you obviously haven't had REAL fish and chips from somewhere like Whitby. Beautiful.

And this doesn't surprise me. You see all the chavs (for those who don't know what a chav is click here) getting pissed (which is fine), wrecking hotels, places, clubs, pubs, bars, other peoples holidays (which is not fine).

I'm proud to be British (English?) but people like that make me cringe. It is in all the "chav" holiday destinations (what were nice before the invasion of the chav) like Magaluf, Salou, etc.

On the other hand I've met people of all nationalities and no one stands out as being a tit of any kind. Think it's just negative connotations being proved true about us (Hooliganism, riots, violence, binge drinking etc.) which is "ruining our rep" so to speak.

You think we're bad abroad, try living here full time :|
Old 10-19-2007, 05:22 PM   #3
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

Heh, try living in my area. I get abuse yelled at me and cars driven at me. But this is Chav central.
Although most of the time, it's not so bad here.
Ivelliis is right - Decent fish and chips are lovely.

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 05:26 PM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Hm...having dealt with several European nationalities online at one point of time or another, the British ones have been the ones I've liked the most. They've been the least amount of trouble, at the very least. In fact, one of my best friends online (via email) is a guy living in central England, and with whom I correspond on a regular basis.

I've only recently heard about the "chavs" and am trying to think of an appropriate counterpart on this side of the pond. "Redneck" comes to mind but I'm not sure if that really fits.

Oh, and on the Fish and Chips...never been to England, but there's a place near us in Addison, Texas called "The Londoner" who claims to serve authentic fish and chips, and they are to die for, IMO! It's also the best place to see rugby and European soccer (football) if you're into that.

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 05:53 PM   #5
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonshadow View Post
Heh, try living in my area. I get abuse yelled at me and cars driven at me. But this is Chav central.
Although most of the time, it's not so bad here.
Try living where you live? How about me, my hometown (Middlesbrough) was voted the worst place to live in Britain. Makes you proud, eh?

Edit - Technically I live outside Middlesbrough in a bordering borough (Stockton), but I lived there for 16 years and it is not as bad as C4 have made it out to be...

Oh and of course when I went to America everyone was ace, so polite and helpful!

Chav is a distinct breed Sazerac, I don't think many countries have counterparts yet, and hopefully never will. Biggest pain in the arse ever.

Last edited by Ivelliis; 10-19-2007 at 05:55 PM.
Ivelliis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:05 PM   #6
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Well, boo hiss to them. As if we needed the opinions of others. *sticks nose in the air* Well do hurry up and pass the tea, it's almost four o'clock...

Last edited by Calaethis Dragonsbane; 10-19-2007 at 06:08 PM.
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:06 PM   #7
Lord Michael
Elminster

I thought that America would have topped the list on least popular after meeting. Excepting me (of course) and a few others, we are a whiny bunch of wankers.
I've never met a European of any kind that I didn't at least respect.
Then again, I give respect where it is due....

"Better to die on your feet than to live on your knees"

Last edited by Lord Michael; 10-19-2007 at 06:50 PM.
Lord Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:27 PM   #8
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

Hah, if Kent is the garden of England, Chatham is its compost heap.

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:47 PM   #9
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Michael View Post
I thought that America would have topped the list on least popular after meeting. Excepting me (of course) and a few others, we are a whiny bunch of wankers.
I've never met a European of any kind that I didn't at least respect.
Then again, I give respect where it is due....
I gather that the study was about Europeans only, otherwise we would have probably made bottom of the barrel.

As far as actual face-to-face meetings with Europeans, I agree with you, Lord Michael; they tend to be a very nice lot. Online...that's another kettle of fish. But I guess that goes for all cultures pretty much. Even the nicest person can turn into a complete jerkwad in the anonymity of a computer screen.

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:52 PM   #10
Lord Michael
Elminster

Ironworks Forum Re: Those damns Brits..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazerac View Post
Online...that's another kettle of fish. But I guess that goes for all cultures pretty much. Even the nicest person can turn into a complete jerkwad in the anonymity of a computer screen.
You are correct about that. Perhaps I should have made that disclaimer.

"Better to die on your feet than to live on your knees"
Lord Michael is offline   Reply With Quote