Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-09-2006, 04:48 AM   #1
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Really hard apparently. Both in New York and Sydney, I've been looking for plain black cargo pants. The only requirements being - lightweight and no massive branding all over them. Maybe I'm doing something completely wrong, or am so out of touch to believe such a thing could exist.

I need them for my job, and used to wear stuff from the army disposal stores but I'm just tired of them and had this misguided belief that retailers might sell something similar, slightly more comfortable and better looking...

I must have looked in over 40 stores today. What gives?
Old 11-09-2006, 05:11 AM   #2
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Clothes stores? Or big chain stores? If you haven't already, try the latter. They have less to do with fasion and whatnot and (surprise, surprise) more of a range to choose from. Not to mention cheaper and there's no immaculately dressed, over-polite salesman/woman forcing garments down your gob and dollars out of your pocket.

Did i mention clothes shopping is one of my very least favourite things.. [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]

*Edit: Or, even better, if you have a clothes-shop-a-holic sister, put in an order and see what she can come up with. You'd be surprised...

[ 11-09-2006, 05:14 AM: Message edited by: Sever ]
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:27 AM   #3
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Del you need to be looking for PINK pants ya dodo! PINK is the NEW BLACK remember?

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:43 AM   #4
Winter Wolf
Manshoon

Pink might be the new black, but I still don't see what was wrong with the old black.

If you're hard up for pants that don't make you into a walking billboard, you could always take a...thingy...for cutting thread. My mom's big into sewing, so I know they have a special item that gets right in there and cuts the threads clean without messing up the fabric. Works pretty well on patches and even embroidery. Used one to de-Marlboro my white button up shirt, couldn't even tell tell that it ever sported a label if you looked.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:02 AM   #5
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Check out a discount store like Filene's Basement, or TJ Maxx or Marshalls. There was a big TJ Maxx in lower Manhattan, if I recall correctly.

You could always try Bloomingdale's, but I doubt you'd find an unbranded pair. Maybe Wal-Mart?

Otherwise, get Yorick to drive you out to Woodbury Common just outside NYC. Huge outlet mall.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:05 AM   #6
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

That would be a 'seam ripper', Winter Wolf. Works well, but you have to be very careful not to rip threads from the actual fabric as opposed to the ones holding the patch on or creating the logo. I tried to get a logo off a very nice polo shirt my husband got as a prize at work once. Had great luck despite the black thread on black fabric being hard to see. Then about halfway through I snagged a thread from the shirt and that was all over. It unraveled and made a fair sized hole...had to toss the shirt as it was impossible to fix that neatly.

[ 11-09-2006, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 11-09-2006, 09:12 AM   #7
AngelofDeath
Drizzt Do'Urden

the best place to find them is one of those work uniform places. they usually have a good selection.

You Can Not Hide
AngelofDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:15 AM   #8
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Derek, found Dickies brand on Amazon.com

cargo pants, black

They're a work clothes kind of company and the logo seems small enough.

edit: Also, you could check local stores to see if they carry the brand, you might find them in Walmart or some place.

[ 11-09-2006, 09:18 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 11-09-2006, 09:52 AM   #9
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

What's your budget, and what's your take on the label?

Black is a hard color for textile companies because it's hard to dye something black. You usually get a really, really dark blue that looks a whole lot like black.

You can get dockers or other khaki-type pants for US$20-55, depending on the style and whether you're patient enough to wait a couple of weeks for them to go on sale. Places like Sears, Penney, and such in the US will carry them. Even the discount places like Walmart will have some kind of khaki-type pants.

One of my favorite places (because I really am a cheap @#$%!#$) is
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:26 AM   #10
Havock
Dungeon Master

Have you tried St.Marks pl.?? Search and destroy and trash&vaudville usualy have plain black stuff. The upstairs at T&V has dickies stuff.

http://www.myspace.com/measuredingrey
Havock is offline   Reply With Quote