Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2002, 02:01 AM   #1
knoj
Dungeon Master

i almost finished the full installation of BG2 (95%) but then install wizard told me to put CD1 back into the drive. so i did that, but when that little dialog box popped up asking me which drive the cd was in, it wouldn't allow me to proceed! the screen didn't freeze or anything like that, so i pulled the CD back out to make sure i had the correct one in, and that it was level inside the tray. but i tried clicking on the little dialog box's OK button and it still wouldn't let me proceed! so i decided to cancel installation and wizard told me that i could wait and finnish installing later. ok so i cancelled, then with nothing else running i went to finnish installing by running cd1 again and clicking *install*. then it began installing it all over again from the beginning!

does anyone know how i am to go about finnishing my installation?

and if anyone has had this problem before (not letting you proceed)?

BTW - all four of my brand new CDs are scratch free.

i'm sure there is a simple solution, but i'm getting frustated.

[ 03-07-2002: Message edited by: knoj ]

knoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 07:41 AM   #2
Grojlach
Zartan

Does it keep on going wrong during the other attempts at reinstalling?
Old 03-07-2002, 02:56 PM   #3
knoj
Dungeon Master

quote:
Does it keep on going wrong during the other attempts at reinstalling?

my apologies, maybe i'm not being comepletely clear. you see when i first inserted CD1, the normal menu window pops up and then i click on install. ok, so then (wizard) asks me where i want it installed and so on and so forth. then after about 20% of the installation, it asks me to put CD2 in, so i do that and click ok. everything is wonderful!! this continues with CD 3 and 4. BUT then, with 95% of the full installation done, it asks me to put CD1 back in to finnish it up. great! so i do that. BUT when the little dialog box pops up and asks me to confirm that CD1 is in drive d it won't let me click on the ok button. it acts the same as when you click on a dead link (it just flickers).

and yes i have tried to finnish up installation but it just starts it all over from the beginning. and i can't seem to locate the files that i have installed so far, as to finnish up that 5%.
Old 03-07-2002, 04:35 PM   #4
Grojlach
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by knoj:

and yes i have tried to finnish up installation but it just starts it all over from the beginning. and i can't seem to locate the files that i have installed so far, as to finnish up that 5%.

You can't locate those files? Hmm, that's really weird... Even with trying the search function? Search for a folder called "Black Isle", good chance it is installed in that directory... Or the folder BGII - SoA.
Old 03-07-2002, 05:12 PM   #5
ULockit I Stealit
The Magister

Not sure if this is even related but could be something to consider. Do you have 2 or more CD drives? The reason I ask is sometimes when it prompts me to insert a CD when I move areas, if I have a music CD (or sometimes nothing) in the other drive, I have to open that drive, and then open and close the drive the BG disk is in. I think it has to do with the fact both CD drives are on the same IDE cable.

Good Luck
Old 03-07-2002, 07:32 PM   #6
knoj
Dungeon Master

quote:
Search for a folder called "Black Isle", good chance it is installed in that directory... Or the folder BGII - SoA.

i actually tried many (black isle and BG2 and BGII and SoA) no luck!
however, when i had CD1 inserted, i explored its contents and found alot of files. one of them was the install folder or file. so i opened that and it just started installing from the beginning again. remember, i chose the FULL installation (almost 2 gigs) and 95% of it has been completed, so the last thing i want to do is duplicate that by reinstalling it all again. if worst comes to worst, i will gladly uninstall what is there so far, and redo it all over. the funny thing is that, install wiz told me that i could continue installing later, well i can't figure out how to do that! and i don't know where to look in order to uninstall what i have. i remember clearly designating the files to be placed into my existing BG1 folder but none of them are there.

quote:
Not sure if this is even related but could be something to consider. Do you have 2 or more CD drives?

no, that's why i'm so flustered. you see i checked to see if correct CD was in and that no other program was running. it was like my PC didn't recognize the same CD it had just read from 30 minutes earlier!
and so that prmpted me to see if there were any scratches on the CD and none were there!

so anyway, i guess right now i just want to figure out how to continue installation or uninstall then start over.
Old 03-08-2002, 12:00 AM   #7
Bokken
Baaz Draconian

quote:
Originally posted by knoj:
i remember clearly designating the files to be placed into my existing BG1 folder but none of them are there.

Uhhm, although I cannot find much reason to why your problem is occuring check on what you posted above. You want your BG2 game to go in your BG1 folder? This might be your problem. BG2 should be instaled in "C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA"
Maybe trying to instal it in your BG1 folder is what is messing it all up so next time you instal do not change the directory it will originally instal it into and see how you go.

Good Luck!
Bokken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 04:46 AM   #8
Keylow
Manshoon

Hee Knoj, I found something at the Bioware website you might find interesting. Check this link

There's something there called: Installer stuck at 95% and asking for CD1

Hope it helps!
Old 03-08-2002, 04:52 AM   #9
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I had a problem similar to this... in the end I tool the Game back and got a replacement... and all was fine
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 10:44 AM   #10
knoj
Dungeon Master

hey keylow! NICE WORK! i checked out the link and it describes my problem exactly. i'm going to busy for a day or two with midterms, so it might be a while before i can let you guys know if i fixed the problem.

i have to say that you really made my day! i almost gave up on Ironworks and wanted to go directly to bioware or interplay. so again thanks!