Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2004, 03:42 AM   #1
Black Baron
Red Wizard of Thay

I have read 3 books: homeland, exile and soujorn. I am not impresed at all. The story developes too fast, the vocabulary is not rich and the plot that could be interesting was ruined. Besides every charachter except drizzt is shallow and only a shade of what he/she should have been.

Kids attention, I have brought you something...

Don't pull that ring private!!
Black Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 08:53 AM   #2
philip
Galvatron

I read 2 out of that series and I think that was the last time I ever read something by Salvatore. It's exactly as you described.

*goes back reading Dragonlance [img]smile.gif[/img]
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 09:00 AM   #3
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

try the three that were written first, Streams of Silver, the Halflings Gem, and I forget the other one, they were written before drizzle became uber popular, and are a better read and better developed.

the most use I've gotten out of the homeland trilogy is a background of how drow society functions.
Morgeruat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 10:37 AM   #4
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

I like the first two... although it went downhill from Book 1. I mean Book 1 was a good-read. Book 2 well it became interesting but book 3? heck I am having a hard time gong past the silliness of the villagers... ack!

This is the only set of Drizzt books am buying methinks... or from Salvatore... hehehe
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 10:38 AM   #5
Black Baron
Red Wizard of Thay

Yes, the society of the drow info, was very usefull. I will give a shot at the other books then.

Kids attention, I have brought you something...

Don't pull that ring private!!
Black Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 10:52 AM   #6
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Hm.. if you are interested in Drow Culture, may I suggest Starlight and Shadows from Elaine Cunningham. I found that serie far more enjoyable then anything Salvatore managed to conjure up.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 10:25 PM   #7
Balintherlas
Symbol of Cyric

I agree with phil, dragonlance is a lot better series than forgotten realms. The only reason i read forgotten realms books is because of baldur's gate.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:02 PM   #8
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer128:
Hm.. if you are interested in Drow Culture, may I suggest Starlight and Shadows from Elaine Cunningham. I found that serie far more enjoyable then anything Salvatore managed to conjure up.
Ditto. Not to mention it's a fairly decent trilogy (though I found Fyodor to be much more interesting than Liriel).
Nanobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 11:09 PM   #9
Aerich
Lord Ao

Well, I actually enjoy some of Salvatore's writing, shallow characters and all. The Icewind Dale trilogy is one of the best sets written under the Forgotten Realms label. I also liked Homeland and Exile; they do get points for the coolness factor of drow and svirfnebli society. I could have done without Sojourn.

However, I've been disappointed with his latest works (excepting The Lone Drow, which had its good points). I don't feel that he's developed very much as a writer; his characters do the same things they've always done, and certain characters have even lost what vitality they once possessed (particularly Bruenor, Wulfgar, Catti-Brie, and the Bouldershoulder brothers). Salvatore still writes a fast-paced book, but I shudder at his (usually) painful forays into the complexities of emotions and ethical challenges.

I haven't read Dragonlance in years. I lost interest after Legends, as it seemed like Weis & Hickman were yanking my chain around by killing off characters. I'd much rather re-read the Death Gate Cycle.

Many Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance books (not the core ones like Chronicles and Legends) seem to be written by 15-year-old munchkin D&D players. If you're convinced that Tolkien is the best fantasy writer of all time, these books may come as a disappointment. They can still be a good read if you don't expect to much.

Edit: I should say that I have read Elaine Cunningham, and found her work worth the read. But Ed Greenwood won't get any more of MY precious reading time.

[ 07-06-2004, 11:12 PM: Message edited by: Aerich ]
Old 07-07-2004, 12:32 AM   #10
Balintherlas
Symbol of Cyric

I dont think tolkien's the best fantasy writer of all time, i mean im sure he worked the longest at his books, creating the language and the world from relative scratch, but i think T H White's "the once and future king" is a lot better than the lord of the rings.