Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 09:11 AM   #91
Charlie
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry the Sprout:
I should point out that whilst this does fit the bill of being Islamic terrorists that doesn't necessarily mean that its Al-Queda. There are a variety of different nutcase organisations who could have wanted to blow up London and disrupt the G8
Like who, how many organisations are this co-ordinated? Eta, the IRA maybe.

Quote:
- Islamic terrorists are no more one monolithic bloc than us white guys are.

I sooo didn't understand this statement. Islamic terrorists and white people people are the same...subsequently all white guys are terrorists? Islamic whites exist, probably islamic white terrorists too, I'm sure of that. But I don't get quite what you're saying.

Quote:
I would expect a large number of equally horrendouse groups will claim responsibility for the bombings,

What large number? Please name a few with this M.O.

Barry I right like you as a bloke, I know you're a very smart guy and maybe I'm just not as clued up as you, but your post baffled me.
[img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/england1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />One Love, Peace. [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/pissr.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/piss.gif\" alt=\" - \" />
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 09:22 AM   #92
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

News from ITV that bomb experts have entered Edgeware Road station to carry out a controlled explosion on an unexploded device.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:32 AM   #93
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

OK, I am speechless about this, I have 3000 thoughts running through my head, and none of them coherent, not sure how much is due to shock, and how much is due to migraines, probably a mixture of both. Good to see our Londoners check in, and I'm going to leave it at that, my thoughts to your families/friends.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 09:34 AM   #94
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie:
quote:
Originally posted by Barry the Sprout:
I should point out that whilst this does fit the bill of being Islamic terrorists that doesn't necessarily mean that its Al-Queda. There are a variety of different nutcase organisations who could have wanted to blow up London and disrupt the G8
Like who, how many organisations are this co-ordinated? Eta, the IRA maybe.

Quote:
- Islamic terrorists are no more one monolithic bloc than us white guys are.

I sooo didn't understand this statement. Islamic terrorists and white people people are the same...subsequently all white guys are terrorists? Islamic whites exist, probably islamic white terrorists too, I'm sure of that. But I don't get quite what you're saying.
[/QUOTE]Take a look at the civil rights movement here in the states(it's still going on btw), blacks blame "the white man", "the man", or "whitey" for their problems as though white men are a monolithic group whose sole goal is the subjegation of other ethnicities, as for white islamic terrorists, look at the Chechen seperatists, and I can name at least a half dozen independent ones off the top of my head that are white converts who've been arrested for assisting terrorism.
Quote:
quote:
I would expect a large number of equally horrendouse groups will claim responsibility for the bombings,

What large number? Please name a few with this M.O.

Barry I right like you as a bloke, I know you're a very smart guy and maybe I'm just not as clued up as you, but your post baffled me.
[/QUOTE]I think both of you are thinking the same thing in different ways, and getting your wires crossed when trying to see how they interact.

[ 07-07-2005, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: Morgeruat ]
Old 07-07-2005, 09:43 AM   #95
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Lavindathar:

There are 185 casualties so far, 8 critical, and 2 dead. Injuries ranging from light burns to lost limbs.
Sky News now reports a number of 45 deaths.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...188265,00.html

[ 07-07-2005, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Grojlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 09:43 AM   #96
Charlie
Lord Ao

Monolithic Block really threw me out, couldn't work out quite what was being said there, cheers for clearing it up a bit.
[img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/england1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />One Love, Peace. [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/pissr.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/piss.gif\" alt=\" - \" />
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 09:52 AM   #97
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Heh, no prob, I just think there are larger issues here than quarreling over misinterpretting what someone said.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:55 AM   #98
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

My point, and you're right that maybe its not expressed clearly, is that it could be offensive to claim that because it looks like an Islamic terrorist group it has to be Al Queda. It's like saying that there is only one representative of extreme Islamic politics, which then has a pretty dodgy conotation for the rest of Islamic politics as a whole.

Its actually quite good that you raise the issue of the IRA, as we all know that there are many different splinter organisations and extremist groups involved in the Irish Republican movement. When terrorist attacks occur because of this issue we don't immediately jump to assuming it was the IRA itself, as it could have been the Real IRA, the Unreal IRA, the I Can't Believe It's Not the IRA, etc... Yet when its an Islamic group we treat the issue very differently and just lump them all in together. Its about as close to simply calling them the International Towelhead Alliance as we can innocently get.

Please be aware I'm not trying to stick up for ther terrorists here, just trying to show how we treat the issue differently and what the consequences of that are.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Barry the Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 09:58 AM   #99
TheGrandSlayer
Red Wizard of Thay

Dang, thats horrible, that news, I woke up this morning and my mom told me about the attacks, just so you know, my family's hopes and prayers are with you brave Londoners.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:04 AM   #100
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Good point Barry, and well made, however as I said earlier many groups with no formal or even informal affiliation with Al Qaeda claim affiliation during events like these simply for name recognition.

[ 07-07-2005, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: Morgeruat ]