Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-09-2008, 08:28 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Default Recover Files from crashed HDD

Curse it all...I heard the tell-tale clicking and did not know which of the two internal drives was about to bite it, so I began backing up everything I could that was new since the last time I backed up the drives...but my slave drive...the storage bin where most of my good stuff...would not even allow me to back anything up. It was already too late no matter what I tried. Now it no longer shows up in my drive library. It was a 40gig that was about half full. I am wondering, is there hope of recovery?
Old 07-09-2008, 08:46 PM   #2
Lavindathar
Harper

Default Re: Recover Files from crashed HDD

Always

Try something like Winternals, thats good for low level damage. If that wont work, there are other ways.

But defo try that first. Or a similar HDD recovery program...I just use Winternals.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:47 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I have been googling the winternals as you suggested but what do you make of this quote from a website talking about recovering data?
Quote:
"If your hard drive has a physical problem, if it is making strange noises, shaking, rattling or smoking, nothing here will apply. Turn your computer off, unplug the drive and call a data recovery service if your files are vital."
The noises this thing was making last night sounded like an actual rat was beating the HDD with a hammer at some points. It was loud and frequent. Can a simple recovery tool I would buy or download be enough?
Old 07-09-2008, 11:04 PM   #4
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Sounds like four possible malfunctions, not hearing what size hammer the rodent was wielding makes it slightly difficult to diagnose. Neither are what you want to read, but sometimes reality is that way.

1. "Thunka" = the bearings are going - gone, no spinnie of the platter, no recovery of the data.

2. "Whacka" = the platter spindel spun out of alignment, "Possibility" of a low speed recovery with both hard and soft recovery devices. *ISSUE* low speed recovery, which you cannot control through *user* level software.

3. "Thuwack -Clink-Klink" = one of the platters disintegrated.

4. "Katunk" = the arm made contact with the platter, arm spun up and away. Physical recovery possible.

If the data is valuable, I would not attempt self recovery. $300 used to be the norm.

If the data is worth less than the recovery fee, attempt the user level devices.

*DO NOT* : place power and cable to the drive, you may only get one shot.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:28 AM   #5
Lavindathar
Harper

Well all I'd say larry is give it a shot.

If it doesnt work, take it to a proper techie, there are ways and means to recover data in most situations.

But Winternals costs money, so although its not ethical, you may want to download and crack it. Only you can decide where your morales lie on this one, and whether its worth it.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:24 AM   #6
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix The Assassin View Post
Sounds like four possible malfunctions, not hearing what size hammer the rodent was wielding makes it slightly difficult to diagnose. Neither are what you want to read, but sometimes reality is that way.

1. "Thunka" = the bearings are going - gone, no spinnie of the platter, no recovery of the data.

2. "Whacka" = the platter spindel spun out of alignment, "Possibility" of a low speed recovery with both hard and soft recovery devices. *ISSUE* low speed recovery, which you cannot control through *user* level software.

3. "Thuwack -Clink-Klink" = one of the platters disintegrated.

4. "Katunk" = the arm made contact with the platter, arm spun up and away. Physical recovery possible.

If the data is valuable, I would not attempt self recovery. $300 used to be the norm.

If the data is worth less than the recovery fee, attempt the user level devices.

*DO NOT* : place power and cable to the drive, you may only get one shot.
BEST.TROUBLESHOOTING.EVER.

- Loving the sound effects.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:47 AM   #7
AngelofDeath
Drizzt Do'Urden

If is a matter of the plates overheathing and stop, you can try this. It works, I've done it numerous times. Throw the drive in question in the freezer for a couple of hours. Take it out, plug it back in and restart the pc. I usually leave the case open to recover the drive.

Plug it in, start it, move the data off the slave drive, turn it off and get rid of the drive.

It really works, if it is just an oveheated expanded plate. in the HD.

You Can Not Hide
AngelofDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:24 PM   #8
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Depending on the age of the HDD, you may still have warranty on it as well. They won't recover the data, but may replace it. My 40gig Maxtor went at 3.5 years and I got a new one from them. I put the error code on their website and got a replacement, after sending mine in.

I know the newer ones are usually 1 year warranty now though.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:02 PM   #9
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I've tried some things to get access to the disk (make it appear) but no luck. I then turned off the PC and turned back on and the system tried to spin up the drive which resulted in multiple "thack-tick.tick.tick.tick-thack-tick.tick.tick.tick..."

So I removed it from the system. I called Intrex who referred me to http://www.drivesavers.com/

I called them and told him what I had and knew and he gave me an estimate. Since they help recover files from a most impressive list of clients, they can boast that they are the best in the industry for recovery...but maybe I don't need the "best". I'll have to think on it. Since its nothing I have to have today, maybe I can save up for it. (The quote he gave me is nearly $2000, but goes down from there if they cannot recover 100%, but will not be less than $400 for the attempt).
Old 07-10-2008, 08:16 PM   #10
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Do you need the info that badly?