Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 03-16-2001, 12:55 AM   #61
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Aegis Crownguard:
wow, im sorry i ever posted anything in the first place. i was never complaining about the game - just stating my opinion...

Don't worry about these peons (j/k) We won't be suppressing ANYONE's opinions here - even if they are obviously wrong

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Order of the Holy Flame
Old 03-16-2001, 03:26 AM   #62
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Today's info. Don't you all get excited finding out a little bit more each day?

Kevin Martens (Lead Designer)
Items you create with pieces: Created items will be carefully placed in BGII:Throne of Bhaal so feel free to flame me if you don't like how it's done in the expansion.

BTW - we also have plenty of items that can be upgraded. This means that you can use them when you find them and then upgrade them into something even better when you find the component.
Dave Gaider (Senior Designer)
Continuing romances: There is an 'initial stage' in a romance during which if you kick them out of the party the romance will quickly be over. With Jaheira, it's over right away...for others, I think it takes a day or two.

Once you're past this initial stage, you can kick them out and take them back in later, no problems. If this is the case and they aren't currently in your party, you can summon them as per normal and the romance will continue...not, however, if you've already started a romance with someone else.

But you are correct...if you simply import a character and not a save game/final save, then there are no globals set...and therefore no romance. If you import a save game and hadn't finished the romance plot inside of BG2, as long as you made it a good half-way it should pick up in the expansion as if it were completed.

We are definitely bringing the already-existing romance stories to a conclusion as the story concludes. They actually conclude in very different and perhaps unexpected ways, in fact...

As for new romances, nothing has been announced, yet, so I can't comment. Not that any of you Mazzy- and Valygar- and Haer'Dalis- boosters should stop clamoring. Clamor! Clamor!! Hold protests!!

Merchant selling all spells: Well, we do have a merchant with a much more complete library available...but I dunno about all the spells. Especially the really high-level ones, that'd be quite the merchant. Heh...he'd probably have Elminster on his rolodex.

We do have some new summoning spells, for sure.

More dialogue: Well, we can't add dialogue into BG2 itself, but there is plenty of dialogue in the expansion if that's what you mean. The NPC interactions were a big hit...if space permitted, we would put a lot more in (space being the sound files as opposed to the relatively small dialogue files of course).

More types of Dragons: We have new types of dragons, absolutely.

More weapons you have to assemble: OK, done!

The new NPC: Well, can't win them all. We have one more NPC which you can add into the party in the expansion (after you defeat Irenicus), as I'm sure everyone's aware of. Fortunately, the NPC is of the cool sort that might tempt even people with long-established parties to open up a slot. (I hear that this NPC might even look like Jessica Alba from Dark Angel!)

------------------
Old 03-16-2001, 10:20 AM   #63
Draggor
Zhentarim Guard

Thanks for the great info Memnoch. Yep, looks like I need to have games with all three female romances. No way am I romanceing Anomen. I don't really have a problem with level 40. You won't get there in one game anyway. It just makes it worthwhile using an older character again, to continue gaining experience. Hopefully the ai of the monsters is improved.

------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to visit this board.

[This message has been edited by Draggor (edited 03-16-2001).]
Old 03-16-2001, 10:29 AM   #64
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

wo ho ho, I might change my opinion after all
Old 03-16-2001, 10:42 AM   #65
Charean
Hathor

I am really looking forward to the expansion - after all, there has to be SOME conclusion to being a child of Bhaal. The cool thing is that this has been a great ride - a journey that all of us enjoyed or we wouldn't be here.

I love getting the updates from Memnoch - thanks bunches for posting them!!

I am hoping for another epic like this in the future, it doesn't seem like NeverWinter Nights will be that.

------------------
Protons have Mass??
I didn't even know they were Catholic!!
Old 03-16-2001, 07:32 PM   #66
Epona
Zartan

Wooohooo! Every update makes me want this expansion more!!! I will definitely run out and buy it when it's released here (6 months after the rest of the world get it - what is WRONG with this place, everything runs late).

I am a bit confused about some things though, which may be because not much information is available at the moment, but I'm not sure what is meant by 'summoning NPCs' or 'Abyssal stronghold'. I think I'll probably just have to wait and see though!.....

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
Old 03-17-2001, 04:07 AM   #67
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Here's today's information! (I'm running out of color to use! :eek

Dave Gaider (Senior Designer)
Magic darts: You'll be able to find darts with a decent enchantment level through the expansion. Like I've said before, we've focused our efforts with items on areas that weren't very broad in BG2.

A dart that returns to the wielder? I dunno about that one. The only thing that makes darts different from daggers is the fact that they are an expendable missile weapon. There are already daggers that return to the wielder.

New spells: We've got some new spells, but I'm not sure about ice and weather-related spells. I don't think so.

Having fun while creating the game: I always have fun with it. Except maybe in the last few hours of a fifteen-hour day...but generally otherwise.

Multi enchanted items being corrected: An engine limitation is involved, yes, and we'll investigate a few of those weapons to see if we can do something about the enchantment levels (or at least changing the description of the item).

Weapon that adds proficiency points: That is certainly possible. Proficiency levels are scriptable.

Items can be restricted to certain classes. Personally, if I was going to put a weapon of this sort in the game, I would put it towards classes that are normally deficient in melee. Bards, druids and thieves pop to mind.

Weapon that adds proficiency points if you already have some in that area: That is much more difficult to do without involving some character scripting. You'd have to make the weapons set some kind of "I have this weapon" global and then have the game script check for both the presence of the weapon and the pre-existence of the proper proficiency. Not easy, but not impossible.

You know what might be do-able with this? Have the weapon gift you with style proficiency as opposed to weapon proficiency. That way, if you were unskilled with the weapon it still wouldn't be very useable to you. But it could give you ability in, say, single-wielding or dual-wielding...and even go beyond that. With scripting, you could give someone a 'mastery' in a style that wouldn't ordinarily be possible.

It's something to mull over. Thanks for the input.

Listening to fans on the message boards: We listen a lot, actually. BG2 had a great many ideas implemented in it which came straight from the fans. And we're always looking for input and feedback.

So it's not like there are topics that are not open to suggestions.

In the end, though, it's us who have to make the game and we have to rely on our judgment of what to include or not to include, what's do-able or not do-able as well as what works or what doesn't. We have to make decisions on these things. Some of them are hard but, unlike what some people would like to believe, they are not made capriciously.

We're adapting a game into a format it was not designed for. Obviously this is going to call for lots of the above decisions, and while we didn't get everything perfect (who could?) we got a damn sight closer than anyone else has in making a real D&D game. If we do it wrong, our accountability lies with those who license us the game (WotC) and those who buy it (you, the fans).

And we've always listened to our fans. We're listening right now. It chagrins me a bit, though, to find some people automatically trumpeting their assurances that we don't listen just because we've made a decision that someone doesn't like or because someone isn't satisfied with our explanations for those decisions.

We're here to get input...and we do (heaps), both negative and positive. And that's good...and probably more than many other developers get. We've never said 'be thankful that we're here' and nor would we...I and others at Bio enjoy coming here and find it useful.

But everyone has a different idea on what's needed, desired or wanted...that should be obvious with even a cursory glance at any part of this board...so pleasing everyone just isn't possible no matter how much we might want to...so don't fault us for making the decisions we have to or not looking at things (like the rules) the exact same way you do. You can applaud or complain about our decision if you like, and we'll listen and take it into account the next time the issue arises...but in the mean-time, we have a game that has to be made, as well.

Shoot, I hope that doesn't come across as babble. It's been a long day for me.
Kevin Martens (Lead Designer)
Magic darts: Done. There is a good dart that returns to the thrower in TOB.

It's magic. You throw the dart but it never leaves your hand. Magic.

Magic gives the world of Toril even more excuses that science gives to the Star Trek universe. The girdles are a good example. Although they don't protect the player from crushing damage when hit with a mace, the elephant would not crush him.

Magic. The dart is thrown but never leaves your hand.

New spells: There are additional weather spells.

Romances: The romances will be brought to their conclusions.

------------------
Old 03-18-2001, 12:37 AM   #68
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

*BUMP*

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 03-18-2001, 11:17 PM   #69
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

*BUMP*