Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2002, 08:54 PM   #21
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Well the only "problem" with min-maxing is it can ruin roleplaying aspects of the game. I think a 1 Int would be akin to plant life in AD+D terms - really anything under a 6 would be a hopelessly retarded person (or 1/2 Orc), so if you're into roleplaying, it's hard to justify. Cha also would be pretty hard to roleplay down at a 1 - you'd have to be deformed, unwashed and have a repugnant personality to have a 1 Cha.

That being said, there aren't any real penalties in IWD II for min-maxing with some classes. It would be alot different in a PnP game where a good DM would make sure a 1/2 Orc with a 1 Int wouldn't be able to figure out how to put on a suit of armor, or which end of an axe to hold [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2002, 09:01 PM   #22
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

Just goes to show how bad BI is at DMing... that and the end of the game. But if it makes you feel better, im not into the RP aspect as much as the gameplay of it AND I am trying to fight the evil power named HoF mode! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2002, 09:09 PM   #23
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Personally, I see min maxing as an abuse of the game, as well as resting all the time.

If you ever find a video game, and it is made by someone called Luvian, don't try to min max, rest all the time, or use other such cheesy tactics, because it's going to have a special script that detect if you do, and then wait until you are very far in the game, and BAM! Delete all your savegames!

A video game that abuse abuser, I like it! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2002, 10:29 PM   #24
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Min/Max is a tactic like any other in a computer game. If they didn't want anyone to use it, they could easily have imposed minimums on every stat so you couldn't bring them down so low.

As it is, under the actual 3rd ed rules, you couldn't do this, since they don't allow lowering stats to put points elsewhere.

And if I ever see a CRPG by Luvian, I'll be sure not to buy it

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 11:53 PM   #25
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

Whoa... settle down gentlemen its a game! [img]smile.gif[/img] Min/Maxing is a tacitc and it is fair and usuable since the game was made that way. I play WITHIN the rules of the game, ALWAYS!!! I think perhaps Luvian you would be happier playing PnP? I know what the 3rdE Rules are... But I also know what the IWDII rules are. And since Im fighting the cheapest DnD scenario EVER (HoF) I dont feel bad bein a little cheap. I just dont like self imposed rules in gaming... Takes the fun out of it. Just today I summoned a creature I'd never even SEEN before... But HAVING to use low level summons that gives me new opprotunities in the game. Its all in fun. LUVIAN: You'll be happy to know the first party I beat the game with (including HoF) was not min/maxed. But I've moved on to power gaming now just to see what CAN be done... it doesnt mean EVERYONE should play the way I do... Just as Im sure you realize VERY FEW play the way you do. [img]smile.gif[/img] I must ask though... Do you sleep on a bed of nails???
Old 11-11-2002, 03:29 AM   #26
Callum Kerr
Drizzt Do'Urden

I fail to see the point of min/maxing... you have enough points to max out two abilities anyway. The only place this is good is with monks who benefit from four abilities. I usually end up maxing out dex... and what does a fighter or barbarian with a greataxe (or etc.) need with max dexterity? They should not put a maximum on the points in the first round...

You know what I noticed? All my posts now are complaining about some minor point in the game what a #%^&^% I must be...

Oh yeah, I heard (?!) people typing about getting strength 32 or some such stuff... that's only possible with items rite?
[img]\"http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwARAyMWqyivmPQQNWY0hVVRv3oUvlvq5uMcEd3!RZut55dm8 emNqpdvpE7IkB0Cpa1ykaC4MbaPQTDKfXyfz!1y5xDqyJez01d EkyCZjmc/Callum.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Puff the magic dragon!
Callum Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 08:20 AM   #27
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Hmm, well the highest you can start a stat is 20; if you played until level 30, you'd get 7 ability increases, so you could raise it that way to a max of 27. Then there are items and spells, or things like greater rage for a barb, so I could see going over a 30 with all those combined.
Old 11-11-2002, 08:23 AM   #28
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Cheesy tacticts annoy me, but I know that other people's playing style is none of my buiseness. Unless I am making the game, that is...

Sure, they could have imposed higher minimums on the stats, but that would have killed roleplaying too...

There is a difference between an half orc with high physical stats and 3 int, because he was hit a little too much on the head, and a character with 20,18,18,1,18,1. How can you explain that?

It's not only about roleplaying either. I know I would not feel proud of myself if I used cheesy tactics to complete the game.

Quote:
Do you sleep on a bed of nails???
Of course!!

[ 11-11-2002, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 11-11-2002, 08:44 AM   #29
Desdicado
Zhentarim Guard

I for one don't see the point of all this fiddling, just play the game as it's meant to be played.
There is a game for those who want to play as super characters who can't even be harmed, it's called........................Morrowind! he he.
Old 11-11-2002, 09:45 AM   #30
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Still it's also unrealistic to think that every person has the exact same # of ability points to go around. There are exceptional people and the game doesn't really account for that.

Imagine if you wanted to make a human barbarian modeled after Wulfgar for example. You'd need Str off the charts, really high dex and high con, and good scores in Int, Wis and Cha. Just can't do it with IWD II; it forces you to either min-max to a lesser or greater degree, or have alot of average characters.