Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2004, 10:42 AM   #11
jmsteven
Dungeon Master

I simply don't understand how anyone can sit in front of their monitor clicking stat scores for an hour, or longer. I find it absolutely mind-numbing to do it for more than a few minutes.

If you have minimum scores in mind that you absolutely must achieve, why not just use a game editor and have it done with?
jmsteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 09:44 PM   #12
NobleNick
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by jmsteven:
If you have minimum scores in mind that you absolutely must achieve, why not just use a game editor and have it done with?
Because some want to play the game without resorting to hacks. Also, some of us find it fun to rise to the challenge of rolling the raw material for an awesome DC Fighter/Druid. I wouldn't get satisfaction from playing a character that I have used Dale Keeper to hack to 6x18; but a 90 point Druid that I rolled myself? Ah, that's MY style of gaming!

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 04:15 PM   #13
Roboghost
Manshoon

Besides...it's fun to boast on that roll you got!

Here is my current Human F/D roll (94):

The difference between 6 and 7 on INT is 10 lore points, so I try to go for a 7. Next would be a 10, but that's just too ridiculous trying keep all those other scores where they're at. A score of 94-95 is about all the patience anyone should have rolling. 96 and above is a miracle--which I did for a Human Mage/Thief that I'll be saving until I'm 100 (or my hard drive crashes.)

I always do DC strategy with someone else to fill in until it's time to do a career change. My Bard does the Mage duties while I wait for the Mage/Thief(13) to ripen. Note that there is a point in the game you won't need a thief (much), so you can plan a perfect DC Mage/Thief to compliment the Bard. A MC Fighter/Cleric helps while waiting for the DC F/D to kick.

I'm finding this to be my dream team--only lacking a direct bow(wo)man:

Paladin
Dwarf Fighter
Gnome Fighter/Cleric
Human Fighter(13)/Druid
Half-Elf Bard
Human Mage/Thief(13)

The Mage/Thief will have max stealth and 100 plus on trap/pick--Bard does PP. Quick tip for Bard: play a certain song to give +10 to their own PP or the thief's trap/pick [remove Elven Chain as well--it kills the scores a bit.]
Roboghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 08:04 PM   #14
Otto
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by NobleNick:
[/qb]
Because some want to play the game without resorting to hacks. Also, some of us find it fun to rise to the challenge of rolling the raw material for an awesome DC Fighter/Druid. I wouldn't get satisfaction from playing a character that I have used Dale Keeper to hack to 6x18; but a 90 point Druid that I rolled myself? Ah, that's MY style of gaming!
[/QB][/QUOTE]

It doesn't have to be all 18s. If you have a minimum score you'll accept, maybe 90 total stat points, why not just assign them instead of having to roll them - unless you're addicted to the rolling, which can be a little like waiting for your lottery number to hit.

Here's an idea. Make a list of possible stats for 6 characters, all of which would be fighters with a 17 in WIS & CHA. The rest of the stats could be varied. Then roll 1d6 and assign those stats.

This is just an example:
STR: 17__16__15__etc
DEX: 15__13__16__etc
CON: 10__15__10__etc
INT: 12__10__11__etc
WIS: 17__18__17__etc
CHA: 18__17__17__etc

Lets say you made 6 sets of scores you would consider acceptable, and then you rolled a 1 on a d6. You would use the first set of scores as your fighter/druid. This way you'll get the character you want but there'll be some potential for variation.
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote