Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2004, 08:02 PM   #1
jmsteven
Dungeon Master

What's the best character class and build for soloing IWD?
jmsteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 04:16 AM   #2
galdur
Dungeon Master

I've passed all IWD and HoW with Cleric/Ranger. The only problem I had, were traps.
With Str about 18/90 +-, you can bash most of locks. Thus, missing presence of lockpicking is not so problem.
Ranger is a good melee fighter. As cleric, you are restricted only to weapons available by cleric ethos, but it is still enough. With all that cleric protection- and bless-spells, you can boost your character even before battle.
As your ranger part will progress high, you will start to have your druid spells available. Your cleric's spell slots are shared with druid's ones. Thus, when you will reach some level of druid spells, you can cast it as good as cleric spells immediately.

Now, I am playing Figher/Druid, but it seems to me, it isn't as strong class as Cleric/Ranger was.
You can also try Figher/Mage/Cleric. But you will have same problem... absence of thief. So you can try Fighter/Thief/Cleric, if you don't want problems with traps.
galdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 12:02 PM   #3
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

I would say Fighter/Mage/Cleric.

I had no problem with the lack of thief abilities, except pickpocket which is impossible. Just note that you need to waste some spell slots for knock, and find traps, plus you may need to reload to renew those spells. Disarm traps with a mirror image.

Nover thought of a Ranger/Cleric for a solo, good one.

[ 10-18-2004, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 11:59 PM   #4
Aerich
Lord Ao

I'm not sure that you can do F/T/C. I believe there are only two viable 3-class multi combos; F/M/T and F/M/C. Anybody else know? Either of them are likely candidates for solo.

F/D should be ok, once it hits sufficient level to get the druidic summoning spells. Only problem is lack of mage spells, specifically fireball and mirror image.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:25 PM   #5
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Aerich is correct F/T/C is not possible not even for a Gnome. The only 2 viable 3-class multi combos are F/M/T and F/M/C.

[ 10-19-2004, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 04:30 AM   #6
galdur
Dungeon Master

Hmm, cleric/ranger is good, because he has also druid spells. He has no problem with obtaining new spells, because he got them automaticaly. If Mage is advancing too fast, he simply has not spell scrolls to learn from.
Thus, a Cleric/Ranger could have some brutal high level spells very early, and they are very efective. For example, 6-lvl cleric spells like entrophy shield, heal... are total brutal.

And then... static charge with sanctuary... no way. C/R is advancing 50% faster than F/M/C or F/C/T.

find traps is very bad spell. You cannot cast anything else for a spell duration and thus wait as it expires. Bleeee.
Old 10-22-2004, 09:55 AM   #7
jmsteven
Dungeon Master

O.k., which is better, the Cleric/Ranger multi-class or the Fighter/Druid dual-class?

The cleric/ranger multi-class has the advantages of both cleric & druid spells, turning undead, stealth, tracking, and an extra attack when not using a shield. However, although there are some great blunt weapons in the game, the C/R cannot use edged weapons or bows, or any armor/items that can't be used by those of good alignments. Also, compared with the F/D, the C/R will level up more slowly early in the game.

The fighter/druid gets immunity to fatigue & poison, shape-change, and some the best summons spells in the game. Fighter/druid levels go up quickly and they get powerful a little earlier than the R/C. They miss out on some of the better weapons, but can still use daggers, scimitars, spears, and some armor/items usable by neutral characters (i.e, Baleful Mail might be nice for early in the game).
Old 10-25-2004, 08:19 AM   #8
galdur
Dungeon Master

I can affirm you, that when Cleric/Ranger spellup himself before battle, he can get AC like -30 or so, 100% elemental resistance (entrophy shield, storm shell, prot from fire, cold, lightning), +1 attack (Rightoues wraith of faithfull), magic resistance. After he is spellup-ed, he can cast sanctuary, stand right among horde of enemies. Cast recitation, prayer and finally that frenzy (I cannot remember name of that spell which boost you). You cannot control him, but he has about 4 attacks and each hit damage 20-30.

So I think, C/R is more brutal at the end.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:27 AM   #9
jmsteven
Dungeon Master

Sold!
Old 10-26-2004, 09:04 AM   #10
galdur
Dungeon Master

Blood Rage is called that spell.