Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 09-28-2005, 04:23 PM   #1
Black Swan Gauntlet
The Magister

Every time I play through Icewind Dale, I kill Nym after I don't need him anymore. Well, last time I played, I decided to try making the famed Rhino Beetle Shield. I already knew the dialogue path I should take, and so took his third offer. When I killed him later, I found that on his body happened to be...all 28,000 gold I spent on enchanting it. So I'm thinking that the best path might be something like this:
1. Get a female character to talk to Llew about crafting the rhino beetle shell into a shield. This way, it only takes three days (easily used up by a trip to the Severed Hand's Arboretum,)and costs only 5,000 gold.
2. Talk to Nym about getting the shield enchanted, and TAKE HIS SECOND OFFER, the one where he offers you a dagger.
3. Take a walk to Dragon's Eye and back to pass the time quickly, without all that annoying resting.
4. Return to Nym and get your shield.
5. Ask Nym about being an Underdark merchant, and subsequently kill him. You'll have to chase him up to the Gnome temple, but he's not too difficult, and you're getting a good bargain this way. (NOTE: Don't do this unless you have all the items you want from him.)
6. Search his body for your 33,000 gold and the original Rhino Beetle shield - looks like the cheap elf didn't really enchant it.

Now, you have a unique dagger to sell, along with your original shield, and your new enchanted shield. Very nice!
Black Swan Gauntlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 04:53 PM   #2
NobleNick
Quintesson

Black Swan Gauntlet,

Hmmm... O.K., I think I already learned something new today, and feel like going back for another helping.

First off, do you have HoW installed?

Next questions (Sorry, it has been maybe a year since I have played the latter stages of the basic IWD areas) --> Where do you get the Rhino beetle shell, where do you take it (where is Llew), and does it need to be a female character (and why) ?

What are the stats on the Rhino beetle shield?

What are the stats on the ENCHANTED Rhino beetle shield?

My porous memory may have dropped this one; but I am pretty sure I have never "crafted" a shield, much less gotten it enchanted.

Thanks a'bunch!

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!

[ 09-28-2005, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 06:24 PM   #3
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

Yes, one should always have female characters with a charisma of 16 or higher speak with Dirty Llew. [img]graemlins/beigesmilewinkgrin.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 08:32 PM   #4
Black Swan Gauntlet
The Magister

Yes, I have HoW installed. The Rhino Beetle Shell may be found in the Pit with the imprisoned gnomes, in Lower Dorn's Deep. Llew is a Duergar merchant in the hidden Gnome city, and female characters get substantially better prices on his items than males. Plus, it normally takes ten days to craft the shield; for a woman, it takes three.

The Rhino Beetle Shield is exactly the same as a normal Large Shield. However, getting it enchanted by Nym (taking another 10 days) gives it an AC bonus of 3 and 15% fire resistance.

That may be inferior to the equipment you have at that point, but if what happened to me wasn't some unique bug, than you will be getting it for free, along with what amounts to a +2 dagger.
Black Swan Gauntlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 02:53 AM   #5
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Swan Gauntlet:

That may be inferior to the equipment you have at that point.
It may be inferior, but it's very useful if you have a single class druid. This is the only good shield they can wear.