Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2003, 08:48 AM   #1
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Howdy.
Well, I'm setting off on holiday in a couple of days and am wondering if there are any foreign social customs I should be aware of in order to avoid causing offence whilst travelling in the USA and Europe.
Now, I'm aware of the customary tipping in the United States (it still seems like a wierd idea. Why not just pay your workers better wages instead of expecting customers to foot the bill?), but I'm wondering as to what the standard 'tip' would be. It's some sort of percentage of what you pay in your bill right? 10% or something? I dunno. I hear you're even sometimes expected to tip someone just for opening a door for you. Heh. Over here in New Zealand we learn how to open our own doors! But that's besides the point. I'll play by the rules while I'm on someone elses turf
Also, I hear that in many places throughout Europe there are people specifically employed to charge people wishing to 'use the facilities' so to speak in restaurants and cafes etc. Again, nothing like that here in NZ, so what is the customary 'fee' for relief? A relative of mine was on holiday in Belgium and walked right past the old lady that was taking the 'toilet fee'. Needless to say, once they were 'done' in there they were accosted by the aggravated old lady upon leaving the toilet room. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Are there any other seemingly-mundane-yet-painfully-unfamiliar-to-foreigners stuff that I should know about (particularly relating to Britain, the USA, Italy and France, those are my confirmed holiday destinations)? I guess finding this stuff out on my own is half the fun, but I'd like to be armed with at least a rudimentary knowledge of local customs before I go travelling to the other side of the globe.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2003, 09:02 AM   #2
Charlie
Lord Ao

When in England you must buy beer for Charlie.....it's customary.
[img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/england1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />One Love, Peace. [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/pissr.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/piss.gif\" alt=\" - \" />
Old 03-09-2003, 09:06 AM   #3
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie:
When in England you must buy beer for Charlie.....it's customary.
Well, I'll be staying in London for quite a while so I may be able to deliver on that one. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2003, 09:26 AM   #4
Stratos
Vampire

Depends on where you are staying, a luxurious hotel is different than a youth hostel. Only really classy places has a guy opening the restroom door for you and I think that you are supposed to tip him. Otherwise the fee is usually written somewhere close to where you do your needs, or there is a cranky old lady in a booth charging you for your visit.

I have also heard that 10% is a safe tip, more if you really liked the food and want to congratulate the chef for his astounding skills and a meal well done.

[ 03-09-2003, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: Stratos ]
Old 03-09-2003, 09:31 AM   #5
Irongrinder

In Holland there are a lot of things where you have to pay to use the toilet (not in most of the restaurants, but in public places). If you go to a nightclub, most of the times the security expects you to tip them when you leave the building. I can't think of many more things right now, it's still early for me
Old 03-09-2003, 09:33 AM   #6
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
In Italian restaurants is customary to belch and fart as loud as possible while eating. You'll be hailed like a king when you do that.
Old 03-09-2003, 09:46 AM   #7
Stratos
Vampire

Quote:
Originally posted by Irongrinder:
In Holland there are a lot of things where you have to pay to use the toilet (not in most of the restaurants, but in public places). If you go to a nightclub, most of the times the security expects you to tip them when you leave the building. I can't think of many more things right now, it's still early for me
And if you don´t tip...
Besides we also have pay-per-**** toilets [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ 03-09-2003, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: Stratos ]
Old 03-09-2003, 09:51 AM   #8
Mojo
Elminster

Tipping should be your own choice. People shouldn't expect to get tipped, that's just ridiculous if you think about it...the whole point of a tip is kinda like a reward for excellent service, no?
Old 03-09-2003, 09:58 AM   #9
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Well, i know of a few nightclubs, where if you don't tip the doorman, things can get nasty. Really.
Old 03-09-2003, 10:02 AM   #10
Irongrinder

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Well, i know of a few nightclubs, where if you don't tip the doorman, things can get nasty. Really.
Sad, but true