Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2003, 03:18 PM   #1
Raistlin Majere
Ra

I just hated taking new NPC's after playing for sometime, because they all had like a 100 000 exp. points less then the PC character! Like Imoen for instance, i never used her before Shadow Keeper, because she was a what(?), 11th level mage or something while my PC was like 5 levels higher(!), depending on class of course. well, maybe not 5, but around 3. Still... Now i praise Shadow Keeper, because with it i can make her equal to the PC. I know its not really logical, what with her spending her time in the asylum and the PC killing Dragons and stuff, but i hate it when one or two characters are weaklings while the rest are Juggernauts of destruction! the point of party play is, in my opinion, that all the party members are actually ABLE to do something except stand around doing nothing but eat exp. points. thats just me though, you others may have youre own opinions...

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 03:25 PM   #2
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Yeah, but by the time you get to ToB she's basically only 1 or 1/2 level behind Nalia the whole way on.

But, with some characters, like Minsc, I'd think they's do more by day than stand in that stinky bar eagerly awaiting the PC's return like some labrador. I think I've picked characters up after leaving them and had them be automatically bumped to where I could level them up. Did I dream this?
Old 01-31-2003, 03:25 PM   #3
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

A good point, and one of the main reasons why I used so few of the NPC's in BG1, but a cure for this is to simply get her right away, her exp will be alot closer to the party average (in my own case my formerly solo F/T/M picked her up after finishing his stronghold quests and everything else he could possibly do, except the last levels of WK, and I intend to drop her like a bad habit once I've... finished a certain leech off for good (I never completed that part of the story with her before)
Old 01-31-2003, 04:39 PM   #4
Annatar
Mephistopheles

I never took imoen with me, in that part of the game she's just so worthless (when isn't she I'm thinking about now but well..... though), indeed you can correct this with shadowkeeper but still I do not like it.. the idea that you are babysitting your little teen sister .... sjjees [img]redface.gif[/img] I always stick to surtain npcs wich I will get very early in the game (nalia,keldorn,edwin ect) so they can level up with the group and do not miss well earned xp ...

my opion though,,,
Old 01-31-2003, 06:17 PM   #5
mrxian
Dungeon Master

i took her with me, but she wasn't very usefull.

then again, with my party being as powerfull as they where, i didn't really need a mage for the most part. and for the little things i did need mages for, imoen was good enough.
mrxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 08:58 PM   #6
Witchhunter
The Magister

I have to agree with Raistlin. It is very annoying that Imoen is lagging behind when you pick her up. I like to bring her along, out of a sense of duty(she IS after all my childhood friend).
But friendship goes only so far. If she is 5 levels behind the rest of the party, she is simply underpowered. One way is to use cheats to boost her XP, but cheating just feels wrong. Can one use Shadowkeeper with Throne of Bhaal installed?

[ 01-31-2003, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: Witchhunter ]
\"Achievement is for senators and scholars. At one time I had ambitions but I had them removed by a doctor in Buffalo. It started as cyst, it grew under my arm and I had to have new shirts made, it was awful. But I have them in a jar at home now.\" <br />-Tom Waits
Witchhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 03:17 AM   #7
Angelousss
Red Wizard of Thay

you can use shadowkeeper with tob

generally do whatever makes the game the most fun for you. If you want a party of gods, do it. whatever is most fun for you.
Old 02-01-2003, 05:22 AM   #8
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

I really don't care that much.

On the first run through I actually used a wholly different character setup in the Asylum/Brynnlaw/Underdark than I did on the surface.
Old 02-01-2003, 05:49 AM   #9
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by Angelousss:
you can use shadowkeeper with tob

generally do whatever makes the game the most fun for you. If you want a party of gods, do it. whatever is most fun for you.
one doesnt need to make a party of gods really. if you want the NPC's to have the amount of exp. they would have if they could be in the party from the very beginning, just count the avarage of the exp. points so they all have the same amount, but wont become too powerful. thats actually what i did this time around.

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 06:48 AM   #10
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Imoen's a pretty good mage-by the end of the game she's nly 1/2 levels behing Nalia, because she gets all the undividable experience, IIRC. As has been mentioned before, you should collect her pretty much off the bat. Try to avoid multi-classed in a party of six, because they're not a lot of help.

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Kaltia is offline   Reply With Quote