Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-10-2004, 09:27 AM   #1
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

In Belgium, denying the holocaust took place is punishable by law. Offenders may get a fine, or serve up to a year in jail. Does anyone know if similair laws excist in other countries as well?
Old 11-10-2004, 09:35 AM   #2
Faceman
Hathor

The Austrian "Verbotsgesetz 1948" of course which makes punishable by law
1. the forming of a group intending to "resurrect" the NSDAP
2. publication of Nazi propaganda
3. denial of the holocaust in public
etc.

This is why in Austria it is actually illegal to own a private copy of "Mein Kampf" for example (of course still openly available in libraries).

From a judicial POV I doubt that denying the holocaust in private conversation is illegal in Belgium, but rather that like in Austria it is punishable to state it publicly or publicate it in written/recorded form.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:35 AM   #3
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Belgium is getting a little carried away lately. People who deny the holocaust ever took place make enough of an ass out of themselves by merely making such a statement. let them speak, we all need to point our fingers and laugh every now and then.

They also banned "Vlaams Blok", although any sane person would disagree with such a political group, they still have a right to speak their minds. That's what you get when you claim to be a democracy. And besides, it's Belgiums second largest party these days, you can't deny the will of the people.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:07 PM   #4
Stratos
Vampire

No such laws exist in Sweden.

Edit: Although I don't know if it's legal to wear swastikas and shout "Sieg Heil" in public. Most nazis tend to avoid this when they have their little parades. I suppose a certain "clean" behaviour is a condition they have to meet if they want to get a permission to hold a public meetings.

[ 11-10-2004, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: Stratos ]
Old 11-10-2004, 08:54 PM   #5
Spirits forever

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer128:
In Belgium, denying the holocaust took place is punishable by law. Offenders may get a fine, or serve up to a year in jail. Does anyone know if similair laws excist in other countries as well?
wow...i did not know that.....wonder if somthing like that's here in US

the supposedly "Free" country XD