Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum > Wizards & Warriors Archives

Old 11-25-2000, 09:46 AM   #1
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

What do you carry around with you for which you have:
1) found no use?
2) know it has a use but have never used it?
3) used but are afraid to throw away?

Many of us, I know, carry around the rats skull - sort of the W&W version of a lucky rabbit's foot, I think.
I carried a lot of voodoo dolls for a while but never used them!
I also have a dozen scrolls of Armeggedon and the like that I have never tried.
Potions, I always seem to have thousand of potions and rarely use them.
I also have a couple of spare weapons that look like they'd be really good but never get equipped.
KEYS, they multiply, I'm sure they do!

Wyv
Old 11-25-2000, 10:54 AM   #2
thefox

Hi wyv...

im back.. well sorta.. ive stopped playing this game a while until a patch comes out.. hehe.... as for useless items... i found a place where things dont vanish.. well havent yet... outside the games of ishhad'nah.. i chucked all my useless items outside the door.. and they stayed there.. like the bauble stick.. a couple of voodoo dolls.. all my used keys... used books.. like the serpents book.. etc... wish items stayed on the boat.. well you know all about that dont you.. heheheh... cyas

Old 11-25-2000, 11:02 AM   #3
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Ah ha!! I'll have to try storing items out there! Generally I'm pretty good about chucking the useless or used items but some things just seem to hang around!

Yes, I remember well your conch shells on the ship! All that work!!

Hope they will get the patch done soon! This is such a fun game (this board still ranks higher! ) it's disappointing to hear so many people having difficulties with it running properly.
At least keep watching the board!! And maybe while you're waiting you might write up a story about how your party came to seek the Mavin sword!

Wyv
Old 11-25-2000, 01:04 PM   #4
Kore'tha-Konkoror

I can't seem to part with any good sword that my Barbarian has found. She has a cutlass, bastard sword, two handed great sword, and a plus one long sword. I cant bring myself to sell any of them though, which would you keep?

Old 11-25-2000, 01:29 PM   #5
Sourceror

Heh, I'm a pack rat so I carry around pretty much anything that isn't just plain mundane.
1) two rat skulls, the iron poker, two empty flasks, one flask with spider nectar, warrior's crystal
2) potions (I collect them all, but have only used the yellow antidotes so far), Shinwiki's spear (none of my chars meets the requirements yet, heh)
3) bauble stick, all the moneky and serpent figurines

As you can see I haven't played this game for long yet, so there's still lots of empty space in my party's backpacks. =)

Old 11-25-2000, 01:46 PM   #6
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Ah yes, the Iron Poker!! Astyanax figured out a use for that one!
2 rat skulls! Impressive!
Seriously, I am considering ditching the majority of my potions (outside the Ishad N'hahahahaa gates) and other knick knacks. Hey - that's what needs to be added! A Garage Sale option!!!

If we had our own houses we'd have lots of instant decor!!

Think it was in Daggerfall or the there after that I was able to purchase myself a home. Thought that was very nice until having a home caused the game to crash. Probably the interior designers guild petitioned the city council to bounce me out of town for not following proper decorating codes. What?? You don't like the skull door knocker??

Wyv
Old 11-25-2000, 01:47 PM   #7
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Well, let's see:

Having been a prior Wizardry Vet, I rememeber D.W.'s penchant for having something seemingly insignificant found early in the game be of vital importance later in the game. (Any Wiz 6 vets rememember that danged Wine Bottle that took up a slot in the swag bag for most of the game, or Wiz 7/Gold vets remember those combs and brushes that weren't used until almost the bitter end?) Well, since I figured the style hadn't changed, in W&W I had a hodgepodge of random items carrying in my sack until I finally realized that pretty much every item found in the game A) is only usable in that dungeon or B) if it carries over to another dungeon (like the Lich staff), you're pretty well given that information.

So, on the port dock of Brimloch Roon lies a pile of gadgets that I don't think I'll use anymore. (I know, "Don't Mess With Gael Serran", but I had to put it somewhere.) Interestingly enough, what I found is that if you drop something unnecessary to completing the game, it disappears eventually, but if you drop something vital to completing some portion of the game, it remains where you left it for time immemorial.

Gadgets that I did carry:

1) the two rat skulls (anyone know what these were used for)?
2) A pickaxe from the Stout mines
3) Every key I used in the game (until I wised up and littered the dock of Brimloch Roon with them)
4) Serpin coins (actually, I had just forgotten about them until I looked at one of my characters: "WHAT are you still doing with THAT??!!")
5) Every Mana potion that came along, until I realized that the piddling amount it gave you back, you got back anyway from walking around 2 minutes. Now I only keep Mana Max potions for those hairy situations.
6) Ditto for many other potions and scrolls. I'm in the last portions of the game and have never once used a scroll. (I didn't use them back in Wizardry days either--just not a scroll person).
7) Voodoo dolls (I'm still not sure what they do).

Sazerac
Old 11-25-2000, 01:47 PM   #8
Lily the Ranger

I dumped somethings there (outside Ish) to make room for more after (remembered someone's post about this) and it is still there. It is like an odd little twilight zone. Crystal, bauble stick, servants menu and all those keys that I can't remember what they do.

Old 11-25-2000, 11:25 PM   #9
thoon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I always sell virtually everything, especially scrolls and potions. (except cure poison). You can always buy it back at twice the price from the shop you sold it to. I've sold about a jillion spider eggs .. will I ever need them again? The shops won't buy everything.

You can also create a character named 'storage' who stays in the Inn and keeps stuff, but never goes out. I did read somewhere in the forum that one person had stuff disappear from such a character. Alsom you would have to send and expedition back to the first village to move such a character to the next.

What IS the rat skull for?
Old 11-25-2000, 11:38 PM   #10
freudianslip
Welcomed New User

I tend to perscribe to thoon's mentality: sell everything! I never keep potions, except for "mana more, full mana", etc.. everything else goes to the shopkeep, in hopes that I finally have enough money to train in the guilds.. hehe. If you ever need something, you can always buy it back.

Another thing I've found that makes the game a lot more fun, in addition to saving a ton o' cash, is get that artifact skill early, and raise it fast. I restarted last night (was tired of having a 13th level rogue with 39 hit points...) and managed to get the artifacts skill by level 3.. in my other game I didn't get it until level 12. Much more enjoyable, to be able to actually come out ahead, by saving on the ridiculously high ID cost?

What's the highest ID cost you've seen, by the way? So far, the worst I've seen has been $2500 for a wizard's dagger.. but then, I'm not that far into the game. Do you have to "ID" the mavin?