Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 08-11-2008, 01:22 AM   #1
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Default My First Heart of Fury

Right. So, after all these years, I've made it my quest to do a HoF runthrough...

I've scanned a few of these threads, and have had conflicting views about HoF. Read all 9 pages of the HoF thread itself, but any specific advice, or any tips for this righteous quest?

Edit: This is for Icewind Dale I and Heart of Winter, plus Trials of hte Luremaster (Which I also haven't done yet) for the record.

Last edited by Kyrvias; 08-11-2008 at 01:24 AM.
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:26 PM   #2
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Default Re: My First Heart of Fury

I'd advise against doing TotL in HoF without doing it in normal or hard difficulity first.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:18 PM   #3
Aerich
Lord Ao

A balanced party with lots of spell capability (minimum 2 arcane and 2 divine casters), and lots of warriors (recommended 4). Obviously, this will mean multi- and/or dual-classing.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:34 PM   #4
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Take some type of Druid preferably a Fighter Druid type and a Bard.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:30 PM   #5
Cascade
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Here's a core party:

Paladin
Bard
Fighter/Druid (multi)
Ranger/Cleric (multi)

To that, add a fighter-mage, either:
A i) Fighter 13 -> Dual to Mage [more powerful but more hassle]
A ii) Fighter/Mage (multi)

Also you want a thief of some kind:
B i) Fighter/Thief (multi)
B ii) Fighter/Mage/Thief (my preference)
B iii) Cleric/Thief (not worth it in my opinion, better to have the firepower)

Easthaven will be surprisingly hard. Kuldahar pass will be an incredible shock and you will need a lot of entangle, charm and summons. The Vale will be surprisingly easy, as will most of Dragon's Eye. Dragon's Eye Level 4 will make you want to rip your eyes out. (Or at least, it did me.) That's as far as I got so far!
Cascade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:58 PM   #6
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Right. So, I started, and made it to the beginning of the Orc Caves (Beat the first three, thanks to Hold Person)

My party comprises of five: a Cleric/Ranger, a Fighter/Druid, a Mage/Thief, a Cleric/Mage, and the not oft forgot Bard.

Easthaven was interesting. The wolf didn't pose much of a challenge when Blind. The goblins were a bit of a challenge. I did *not* expect them to be that tough. Pulled 'em 2 at a time, and made liberal use of "Charm Person". The wolves outside the cave were simple. Charm, and pelt with ranged weapons.

Very interesting so far. Though, I suspect the real challenge is yet to come.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:09 PM   #7
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Hello everyone. An update, given I've been playing relatively off and on: My little 5 person party failed, so I created a new party of half elves, of which I've reached DRagon's Eye and which, currently, are:

Cleric/Ranger 8/8
Cleric 9
Fighter/Druid 8/10
Enchanter 10
Fighter/Mage/Thief 7/8/9
Bard 11

Down to level 2 of Dragon's Eye, as of right now. Just beat the Talonite Priests at the bottom of the map, and plan to explore more down the road. Man, I really am starting to love this game more.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:23 PM   #8
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Fairly large update: Went through all of Dragons Eye, making liberal use of summons, Web, and AoE spells. Having a pureclass cleric was a godsend, let me tell you.

The fight with Yxonemieu (I know I failed at that name) was... quite frankly, dissapointing. Summoned creatures in front of her, along with a few webs and entangles, then shot off as many AoE spells as I could. My bard was killed by the 3 mages that spawn behind you, so I had to focus on them, only to notice, a few scant seconds later, my hugely buffed Cleric/Ranger was standing over a dead body! After that, it was just a process of mopping up... and raising the body of my bard.

Next was The Hand of the Seldarine. Quite frankly? Had a few troubling spots when you would be ambushed by shadow Ogres/Orcs/Goblins, and those archers were a pain, but otherwise fairly uninteresting. Fixed the astrolabe, picked up a few artifacts of the Hand (Including some snazzy Elven Chain for my Fighter/Mage/Thief!) and teleported to dorms deep... after leveling everyone, of course. Here they are:

Kyrvias~Cleric10/Ranger9
Laurana~Fighter9/Mage10/Thief11
Shaina~Fighter10/Druid12
Alhana~Cleric13
Vanthalas~Enchanter13
Rhelan~Bard14

Kyrvias is the one I generally buff to oblivion. -24 is the highest I've gotten with his AC, and he has a ring of free action, so wading into a smattering of webbed foes is his speciality. Most of the game I kept Laurana with a short bow, but now with the elven chain, and stoneskin, she can fight melee effectively. I keep everyone else at range, Shaina summoning, Alhana buffing/dispelling, Vanthalas using incapacitation spells, and Rhelan singing, always singing. A lovely party, and such an amazing adventure!

Onto the Den of the Betrayers!

Last edited by Kyrvias; 02-14-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:36 AM   #9
Aerich
Lord Ao

Well done - glad to see that people are still playing, and trying HoF mode.

I know it's been successful for you, and fun, but I do have a reservation about your party. Will you keep going and complete the game even if some of your characters have maxed out and will show no further signs of improvement? A sc bard generally maxes out early in HoW if you obtain the 6 badges before going to HoW. The cleric will also max out, probably in TotL.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:26 PM   #10
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Here's to posting in an old thread.

I got a virus, and had to wipe the harddrive, summarily losing the above Heart of Fury party. I plan on starting again, with a party similar to this one. I'll start chronicalling once I reach the point I was at. No need for something to be said twice, after all.

Onward, then!
Edit: I found an old dvd with my last quicksave in the outer areas of dorms deep! Huzzah!

Last edited by Kyrvias; 02-19-2010 at 02:42 AM.