Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 09-11-2001, 05:47 PM   #1
hagimihale
Manshoon

Mistakenly called her Amoen in an earlier post...

Wondering how early most of the board has gone to free Imoen. I recall reading here that Imoen is a better mage than Jan in the long run (since she can get high level spells). It occurs to me that it would be worth swapping out Jan for Amoen early so that Imoen gets as much XP as possible.

Is Imoen a liability from a thief standpoint? How hard is the quest to get her back? I will have the needed $ soon. Thanks for any and all opinions...

Old 09-11-2001, 06:18 PM   #2
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Interesting post Hagimi. I think you like to pit agains NPC's Well Imoen VS Jan hmm though fight

First of all, Jan is funny, Imoen is sexy they cannot be compared, ok ok here it's.. as I found Imoen Nalia's XP was 1.900.000 and Imoen? She was only 400.000! There's 1.500.000 xp difference and Jan got better thievry skills. And also if your protagaonist is a mage so Imoen is useless, because already you got a primary mage. A primary mage is enough and backups are bonus, useful.

Will Imoen's thievery skills be enough? I didnt play with her so much so I cant give you a satisfinyg answer but her detect illusion skill was zero as I remembered and this skill lets you detect illusion/hidden doors. I may be wrong if so please correct me. And her other skills are mediocre not great but you can make her satisfinyg with potions.

I said so much bad things about Imoen but with my other party I'll take her. My current party is me(fighter),anomen,minsc,jan,nalia,aerie. My other party is me(skald),keldorn,valygar,yoshimatsu,jaheira,anome n. I will replace yoshi with Imoen and I'll try her out.
Old 09-11-2001, 07:50 PM   #3
hagimihale
Manshoon

Main character is a sorcerer. Also have Anomen, Jahiera, Minsc, Viconia (for now) and of course Jan. Restarted the game at the end of chapter 1 to swap out Yoshi for Jan. Jan (or Imoen) will be a backup mage and primary thief.
Old 09-11-2001, 07:56 PM   #4
Gwhanos, Lord Of Evil

you can still swap a char; just tell em to wait at the copper corenet!

------------------

All your base are belong to us! How Are you gentlemen?

The Spaminyte Emperor
Fish?
Welcome to your doom!!!
Official villain/demon of IW!

Old 09-12-2001, 03:48 AM   #5
Hojou
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Where do you find Jan?
Old 09-12-2001, 06:02 AM   #6
Vampire

Jan is in the gov. section at the parks.

------------------
Old 09-12-2001, 03:42 PM   #7
oldbittercraig
Elminster

Imoen is still better than Jan even if *you* are a mage. Her thief skills are decent and as a single class character she will hit level 18 LOOOOOOONNNNNNGGGG before Jan.

Having two mages capable of casting level 8 & 9 spells is definitely a good thing and to your advantage in *any* fight.
Old 09-12-2001, 07:40 PM   #8
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Jan is good for pickpocketing and setting traps (very useful once you set his success rate to 90% and above).

So far, he has helped me earn about 700K through pickpocketing and I've managed to buy everything I need from Deirdre, Ribald and Trademeet merchants. And I still have a few more potions of master thievery, in case I need more.

But I agree Imoen is a better support in terms of spellcasting.
Old 09-12-2001, 07:51 PM   #9
floyd
Zhentarim Guard

I've found that support spellcasters are overrated. In most fights, it becomes to complex and chaotic (especially in ToB), to have multiple mages casting tons of spells. For me, Edwin is enough in the spellcasting department. I don't know the makeup of your party, but you'd be better off picking up another fighter, such as Keldorn, or possibly Viconia if you are short on clerics.

I'm toying with the idea of using imoen this time, though, as I wouldn't mind hearing some of her dialouges at plot points.
Old 09-13-2001, 09:31 AM   #10
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

I disagree about a point. Imoen can be a better mage than Jan but Jan is a much better THIEF than Imoen. Imoen is stuck with level 7. Jan can advance to level 25. Do you know the difference?

What's Imoen's detect illusion skill?

zero!

Can this skill improved with any potions etc?

no..

So jan rocks!