Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 05-20-2001, 10:10 AM   #1
CoenBro262
Welcomed New User

In every big fight i ever encouter, it seems like i have to die 15 times before i finally get lucky and beat the guy. and it always seems to me like i must be doing something wrong. is this the case? or am i just thinking they're supposed to be more to it and there isnt?
Old 05-20-2001, 10:21 AM   #2
Melusine
Dracolisk

Hi, first of all, welcome to the board!
Well, I don't think there is a definitive answer to your question, but there are some things that can be of influence. First, what level are you? If you have a very low level then obviously you'll encounter more difficulties in a fight. Second, are you playing the game for the first time, and do you have any experience with this sort of game? I think that as you continue playing, you'll learn from experience what techniques work best for you. It's probably the most fun if you find out for yourself, rather than read every single cheesy tactic here. If you get sick of the constant reloading, you will find valuable help here, but for the first time you play the game, I think it is unavoidable that you will have trouble - unless you get advice.
Have fun!

------------------
Melusine, Archbabe of the Order of the Holy Flame and the Laughing Hyenas, &
Official Entertainer Elf of the BG2 Bar

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 05-20-2001, 10:23 AM   #3
Draggor
Zhentarim Guard

This happens in most big fights, particularly when yopu're new. It will take several tries to work out the best tactics for a group of monsters. You'll need less reloading as you get the hang of it. A few pointers I can give you though. Keep most characters out of hand to hand combat. Make sure you heal often. Always search for traps. Use spells to even the odds. Dispel magic is an invaluable spell. Fighters kick ass. You've come to the right place for help though. Lots of experienced players here.

------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to visit this board.
Old 05-20-2001, 10:46 AM   #4
CoenBro262
Welcomed New User

I've played the original Baldur's Gate for a while now, but for some reason i just always felt i was doing something wrong. I'm probably just rushing myself into quests too fast. But thanks for the welcoming, and thanks for the tips.
Old 05-20-2001, 10:47 AM   #5
Malavon
Dungeon Master

About how far are you into the game? and what characters do you have in your team? if you have 6 chars, then have say, 2 spell casters (mage and cleric)
2 tanks (fighters) and two possible bowmen (one theif/fighter who can be used as a tank if nessesary and one serious bowmen) thats what i had my first time thru
hope it helped!

------------------
"Build your fortresses, your walled cities, your stone houses. Fill them with light and with music and laughter. I am accident. I am plague and pestilence. I am murder. I am intolerance. I am drought and famine, flood and gluttony. And you" Chaos raised the flaming ball, about to hurl it down onto them-"you are nothing!"---Chaos
Old 05-20-2001, 10:56 AM   #6
Raze
The Magister

Summon monsters, skeletons, elementals, haste them then send them in fist as cannon fodder. They take all the nasty spells and occupy the enemy. Then send your party in behind casting spells and hacking up any opposition.
Old 05-20-2001, 11:17 AM   #7
Malavon
Dungeon Master

oh yeah, i just rememberd, if the battles are in a dongeon where ther is no encounters nessesary, then cast wizard eye, and animate dead or spider spawn, or elementals, and use the wizard eye to see where they go, and direct them to the battles cheap, i know, but it works. btw, make sure u have many wizard eyes memorized, becouse they have a rather short duration period

------------------
"Build your fortresses, your walled cities, your stone houses. Fill them with light and with music and laughter. I am accident. I am plague and pestilence. I am murder. I am intolerance. I am drought and famine, flood and gluttony. And you" Chaos raised the flaming ball, about to hurl it down onto them-"you are nothing!"---Chaos
Old 05-20-2001, 11:19 AM   #8
Malavon
Dungeon Master

oh, a great spell for that tactic would also be mirror image- creates an exact copy of yourself, all spells, all hp and items!!! great spell for tough battles!

------------------
Old 05-20-2001, 11:20 AM   #9
CoenBro262
Welcomed New User

Wow...thanks a lot guys. I think I'm starting to think more into a fight than to go in full charge and THEN figure out the best approach. You were all a real help.