Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 09-22-2006, 04:37 PM   #1
Dancing Virginia
The Magister

Greetings from Cairo, Egypt!

My Arabic classes are grating on me and I've decided to return to my HoW game for some relief. I had just started the Burial Aisle when I gave up because I kept getting my butt kicked by Drowned Dead. Any tactics for defeating these guys? Would rather not lower the difficulty level (which is currenlty set one notch above "normal") but I'm not too proud to do so either.

Thanks a lot!

Cary
Old 09-22-2006, 08:27 PM   #2
Black Swan Gauntlet
The Magister

Drowned Dead, hmm? Well, IIRC, they're fairly slow and they hit hard. I'd recommend plenty of ranged firepower and AoE spells.

If you've got it, Wall of Moonlight is always an excellent spell on Burial Isle. Setting up and Undead Ward won't hurt either.
Black Swan Gauntlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:10 PM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Also. Use summons to tank them.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 02:12 PM   #4
Dancing Virginia
The Magister

Thanks for your responses. But Drowned Dead seem to have high resistance to both AoE spells and ranged weapons. Any other suggestions?
Old 09-23-2006, 02:15 PM   #5
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Whats your party? The level 7 druid spell insect plague or somesuch is quite effective. I also think they are vulnerable to blunt weapons.

EDIT: yes I meant Creeping Doom, thanks for the reminder Aerich

[ 09-24-2006, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: ZFR ]
Old 09-24-2006, 12:44 AM   #6
Dancing Virginia
The Magister

I have a fighter/druid that has inscect plague. I'll try it out and see how it works. FYI I also have a Paladin, Cleric, Theif, Illusionist, and Bard. Yes, I'll admit it, I'm a power gamer.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:12 PM   #7
Aerich
Lord Ao

I don't think you want to use insect plague (lvl 5 druid spell, 1 dmg per round, prevents spellcasting). Try Creeping Doom instead.

Don't even bother with missiles - DD are 90% resistant. If you have slashing-resistance items, load up one character with those items (and sing the War Chant song). If your F/D has hit druid lvl 15, the water elemental shapechange is highly resistant to slashing damage. If you were lucky enough to get the Bone Marrow Belt (random drop in the Hand) and have a lvl 15 druid, your troubles with drowned dead are over (100% slashing resistance).

Definitely use summons. Try to draw as few as possible at a time so you can make your summons last longer. If you can hold the DD for a short time in one place with summons and/or disablers, layer the area with spells. Spike Growth and Spike Stones from your druid are effective.

Also, make sure you buy the Three White Doves mace from the Waukeen cleric in Lonelywood. A chance to utterly destroy tough undead with a single hit is no small potatoes. You can set up your strategy to maximize your opportunities to hit and minimize your chances of being hit if you only attack DD that your summons have attacked first.

Here is something that might be of interest to you. It's essentially a walkthrough/strategy guide I wrote when doing IWD/HoW/TotL on HoF for the first time. There's a post about Burial Isle about a quarter of the way down the page. Watch out for spoilers.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:08 PM   #8
Roboghost
Manshoon

Dancing Virginia - power gaming?

Not with a straight cleric and thief! The thief should always be MC or DC above all the other characters. That includes normal mode. The second most important character to MC or DC is the cleric class. A SC druid could also be of great help -- even if powergaming. They get good spells earlier and those shapechanges, but a F/D is even better, but they're hard to roll and take longer to come to full power.

The DD are slow, so I find ways to slow them further:
Grease
Web
Entangle
Spike Stones (I think this one can slow - not sure)
Death Fog

Shambling Mound - they can kick DD's ass as well.
Roboghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 02:26 AM   #9
Dancing Virginia
The Magister

Roboghost,

I guess I forgot to mention that all of my characters except my Bard and my Paladin are dual classed fighters with their secondary classes being cleric, druid, illusionist, and thief respectively. Basically wanted the advantage of higher hit points in conjunction with the skills. So I guess that makes me a power gamer, huh?

Cary
Old 10-28-2006, 03:17 AM   #10
Aerich
Lord Ao

4 dc classes? I imagine it must have been awkward when it came time to dual them. You didn't dual them all at the same time, did you?

And yes, 4 dc classes does qualify you as a powergamer, assuming you dualled them at lvl 9 or higher...